Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should i bring my family to KOrea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: should i bring my family to KOrea Reply with quote

well, ive been searching and searching online for some answers to my question. I am planning on appyling for EPIK 2012 and I was wondering if I should tell EPIK about bringing my family to KOrea with me. I plan to have them stay with me duirng my time teaching but they wont be coming at the same time, not until I have settled down and secured the job. Not only that but I also dont really want to tell EPIK about my family coming with me because I am afraid my chances of getting hired will be much slimer and they wont be coming with me until I have settle down. What would be the best way to go about this??? Should I just say I am married on the application but not tell them i am bringing dependents.???
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: should i bring my family to KOrea Reply with quote

redmonkey wrote:
well, ive been searching and searching online for some answers to my question. I am planning on appyling for EPIK 2012 and I was wondering if I should tell EPIK about bringing my family to KOrea with me. I plan to have them stay with me duirng my time teaching but they wont be coming at the same time, not until I have settled down and secured the job. Not only that but I also dont really want to tell EPIK about my family coming with me because I am afraid my chances of getting hired will be much slimer and they wont be coming with me until I have settle down. What would be the best way to go about this??? Should I just say I am married on the application but not tell them i am bringing dependents.???

The EPIK application form (unless it's been changed in the last 3 months) specifically asks if you are bringing dependents. Also there is a clause in there or in the contract that specifically states that if any information is found untrue or inaccurate that you will be fired from your job.

If you don't mention that you are bringing dependents and then later afterwards tell them or they find out you can be fired legally and not only have to pay back the settlement fee but the airline fee as well for you and your family to leave Korea. Plus get a black mark on your Immigration record.

Also what happens if your wife or kids get sick? If you are hired as a family member your dependents are also covered under medical insurance. But if you are hired as a single person, then they are not covered and the medical bills could end up being much much higher.

Bottom line that this is a dumb idea...I would not gamble with my family's safety/well-being for the sake of a job. You can do what you want but be warned that the consequences can be severe. What happens if the school decides to unexpectedly drop by to check on the apartment or something?
redmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info.. its not that im trying to gamble with my family but i was just wondering what the best way would be because my family will come later and not at the same time. Also when i apply and fill out the statement of intent to bring dependents and they ask what my husband will be doing, would it be okay if I just say that he wont be doing anything because he is not legal to work and he will be watching our son only???
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redmonkey wrote:
thanks for the info.. its not that im trying to gamble with my family but i was just wondering what the best way would be because my family will come later and not at the same time. Also when i apply and fill out the statement of intent to bring dependents and they ask what my husband will be doing, would it be okay if I just say that he wont be doing anything because he is not legal to work and he will be watching our son only???

That will be fine. They only want your assurance that he will not be working illegally. Just say that he is taking care of your son.
redmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info... i appericate it very much...
smurfetta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you all come together at the same time? You can get their dependent visas at the same time as your E-2 visa.
FMPJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: should i bring my family to KOrea Reply with quote

redmonkey wrote:
slimer
redmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i thought about that too but i was worried about orientation. im worried about their stay during orientation and what they will be doing thats why i was thinking that maybe they can come after once i have settle down.
jamesd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op, I am also married with a baby. On the EPIK application, I marked and informed them that I will be coming unaccompanied. However, two weeks later when I got settled in to a great school who is so gracious enough to set me up in a two bedroom apartment, I had my family brought over. My co-teacher helped me to get the dependent visa for my family just last week. And they are on full school sponsored benefits at no extra cost.

Based on my experience, you should not have any problem either way. The way I see it, you can bring your family any time even if you marked "unaccompanied" on the application form.

Good luck to you and your family.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesd wrote:
Op, I am also married with a baby. On the EPIK application, I marked and informed them that I will be coming unaccompanied. However, two weeks later when I got settled in to a great school who is so gracious enough to set me up in a two bedroom apartment, I had my family brought over. My co-teacher helped me to get the dependent visa for my family just last week. And they are on full school sponsored benefits at no extra cost.

Based on my experience, you should not have any problem either way. The way I see it, you can bring your family any time even if you marked "unaccompanied" on the application form.

Good luck to you and your family.

Did you tell them you had a family that was coming over later?
shifty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: should i bring my family to KOrea Reply with quote

FMPJ wrote:
redmonkey wrote:
slimer

You don't know what a slimer is? Usually, I'd tell you to look it up yourself, but I'll help you this time alone.

It's a FMPJ with buttons on.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a hand in a number of epik orientations & there have always been a few dependent kids & spouses (& dogs) hanging around. They can find ways to amuse themselves. They are however expected to pay for their cafeteria meals & any cultural outings they choose to join.
Lolimahro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about EPIK, but when I first came to Korea (with my husband and baby) I didn't tell anyone about my family until I had a job offer. Then, after I had been offered the job I notified them about my family, and then made arrangements accordingly before signing my contract. I did not ask for bigger housing, etc. and I think that helped my case a little bit. It depends on what you think you need. If the application asks if you will be accompanied you might want to go ahead and put it down just to be safe. I didn't have to fill out such an application for the job I came to Korea for and that's why I didn't say anything about my family until later.

Best of luck to you!
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of people who came over with their family. I think they told EPIK they were coming over with their family. Don't think it's an issue. I know quite a few who come over with their family. Although for some reason, it's mostly South Africans. You will get a job as long as you can demonstrate that you can teach and the kids will like you, etc. Just don't be picky about location.
redmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the informations.. I am not picky about location and I dont care if the apartment is not big. My family and I can deal wiith a smaller place because its just the three of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: