Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air con questions plus self contained units...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Air con questions plus self contained units... Reply with quote

By self contained I mean the ones that you have to put by the window.

I'm wondering how long the pipe is, e.g. can the outlet get all the way out of the exterior window of an apartment, also, are they anywhere near as effective as the installed units with the external refrigeration units?

I've been to two second hand stores in my town and just got quoted 480,000 all inclusive for a second hand 4 pyong installed type air conditioner! What a rip off!

Any suggestions on where to buy an installed on self contained one welcome. If I can get something installed including an external cage for 3-350,000 that would be good.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.enuri.com and get a Korean to help search. If you are outside of Seoul, they may charge a bit more delivery. That is a price comparison site. It costs more if the tubing running outside of the window is a very long distance more than say 3 meters. They usually say how much per meter it will cost.

Last edited by Swampfox10mm on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mw.auction.co.kr/MW/item/ViewItem.jsp?ItemID=A614811787&pc=589

There's just one example I found.

Remember, you will be charged for a bracket if they need one to hang the fan outside of your apartment window. Also, if they need to cut a hole you'd better get approval from the landlord. They can snake pipes out of the window, but make sure you have a plan to cover that area with tape/plastic. Also, keep in mind any possible issues you might have with crime if you are low enough someone could get in there if the window remains slightly ajar due to the hose.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice mate, you're basically the only person who replies to posts in the tech forum haha!

So that carrier you linked to...did it include any of the installation fee? I'm guessing the external cage I'm going to buy will cost, what, 50,000?

Bloody expensive, when I camne here last time I managed to get one for 150,000 installed from a second hand place (unit was a bit dodgy and old though).
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a place that will install a second hand samsung silver nano wall unit and outside unit plus outside cage and installation for 300,000 with one year A/S.

The unit looked a tiny bit yellowed, obviously not really new, but its a samsung.

i
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the bracket would up your costs on a new one to the 400,000 range. If the used one is acceptable to you in looks, then go for it.

Make sure they don't arrive and try to tack more on to the price cuz then it's not a good deal.

Yeah, many long time posters have left or been banned or moved on, I think. Times change. I also think people have to work more jobs just to live here and save money. Korea costs far more than it used to and it is hard to save. Less time for leisure.
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also fewer Apple threads. Those would bring people out of the woodworks! Laughing
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you order this thing, Kimchi?
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well still waiting for the heat to hit really. I think I'm probably gonna go with the second hand option although i am worried about hidden charges, although i did clarify with the woman that the external cage, install, delivery and both units inside and out were included in the price, but there's always room for misunderstanding or claimed misunderstanding!
Lazio

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting up an A/C is expensive. Usually they charge a basic fee + pipes by the meter + gas refill. The pipes are usually running for 15,000/meter and the gas refill is up to 50,000 and the basic fee can vary widely. Wife managed to find the cheapest guys who charged 20,000 basic fee and 10,000 for a meter of pipes and free gas refill as long as the tank is not completely empty. We needed 5 meters of pipe so it was 70,000. I bought the A/C from an expat for 40,000. Laughing It's a 6 pyeong LG and was just a little over a year old when I bought it.
Second hand stores are ripping off people. Try to get a used one from a private seller. Check korean sites. Delivery shouldn't cost much as it fits in a taxi so 20,000 will get you very far.

Those window units (if we are talking about the same ones) are pretty good too. http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=242115361&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000003&pos_class_kind=T
A 4-5 pyeong unit is plenty enough to a studio apartment or one bedroom. They cool twice that big area easily. They are cheap to run and you don't need to pay for setting it up. Only downside is that they are a bit noisy.
hongdae2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa

wa

Last edited by hongdae2 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Udo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Air Con Reply with quote

I got a gem from a moving American gov't worker last weekend ... I helped him and his family clean out their rental & got an LG 1210 BXR and a Bissell
Proheat 2X model 9200-P

The LG is a portable unit & kicks ass. I don't know if it's available for domestic consumption but i'm pissed that I didn't buy that in the first place after buying a Carrier unit with all of its collateral bs.

I loves my LG and won't let her out of my sight. Arctic blasts of air w/ a remote control. She's spoken for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: