Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

uTorrent and question about your speed if you use it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toonchoon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: uTorrent and question about your speed if you use it Reply with quote

A few months ago I was downloading at 2Megabyes per second (max speed of my line is 100Mbit, or about 11Megabytes per second). I was OK with that.

Now, I'm downloading at just a bit faster than 56k modem speed, even when I directly plug my computer into the wall (new officetel, and internet directly to computer, no modem)

I turned off Norton Internet Security. Nothing. I go through the router? Same thing.

Did Korean ISP's put a block or restriction on uTorrent? Not sure if this is possible, but I'm out of ideas, and I'm no technology buff.

Anybody else use uTorrent? How are your speeds? How do you connect to the net? Any advice is appreciated...
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of/experienced any slow down with torrents, apart from at peak usage times - I reckon these are in the evening when lots of boys are gaming online. So it's not a Korea thing.

I'm sure your provider could slow down connection speeds but it's unlikely they could do so just for torrents. Their general tech won't recognize what is and isn't a torrent, but would recognize very high usage. Is watching YouTube videos or streaming movies working okay for you? If so then your downloading speeds are good. You could try a speed checker site to be sure.

Another way it could be slower is if some restricting software was applied by the landlord.

As far as I know, although tech changes pretty fast.
spanky1off

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it only torrents? how are streaming sites or direct downloads? im on a 100mb connection and get 8mb per sec on utorrent on some popular new films. so something is obviously wrong, possibly uttorrent itself? try a different torrent or go back an update as sometimes the latest utorrent updates really screw things up (happened to a mate of mine). dont forget your not getting throttled here as it isnt even illegal here to download just uploading is frowned upon.
luckylady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to do a viral/malware scan as well. the one time I did get seriously infected, that was the first sign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: