Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cultural tensions surface at Haeundae
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If true, Fermentation, that would mean that everyone taking pictures in public could be arrested.

Should they not warn tourists about that? I mean, if you've got a law like that on the books, one that might not be generally known to most ppl, it'd be good to put it out there for ppl to know.

I bet though if it ever was to really be put out there (an incident where some big wig gets in trouble for taking a picture), the law would be revisited.
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
If true, Fermentation, that would mean that everyone taking pictures in public could be arrested.

Should they not warn tourists about that? I mean, if you've got a law like that on the books, one that might not be generally known to most ppl, it'd be good to put it out there for ppl to know.

I bet though if it ever was to really be put out there (an incident where some big wig gets in trouble for taking a picture), the law would be revisited.

I believe the law in the UK about public pictures depends on how many people appear in the picture. Take a picture of a handful of people and you require their permission, but taking pictures of a big enough group is okay. I can't remember the exact number, and I'm not sure how it would apply to a picture where a small number of people are particularly prominent in a picture while there are people in the background making up the numbers (which I suspect would be the case at Hyundae beach)
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine taking a family tourist shot, one person wals by, gets irate, and you get arrested.

There's gotta be more sense to the laws than that.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Imagine taking a family tourist shot, one person wals by, gets irate, and you get arrested.

There's gotta be more sense to the laws than that.

Not necessarily.

Not directed at you CC...but it always amazes me how much faith people put in the law.
Most laws are not made to help people...they are made to control people.

Protect and Serve...makes me laugh every time I see or hear it.

Intimidate and Abuse...perhaps too honest.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

That's what the official legal info page of naver says. The page says the victim can ask for compensation if he/she feels violated. I'm guessing all those reporters aren't being arrested because it's not being reported and/or the subjects don't feel their portrait rights are being violated. Or the reporters are really sneaky.

Quote:

You probably won't get arrested, but I'm assuming you'll have to delete the picture or pay the guy if the cops get involved. It isn't technically a crime but a "violation of rights."

There's actually tons of posts on incidents like this on the 지식 section of naver regarding portrait rights with people complaing, "Some asshole took a picture of me today without asking! Can I sue?"

And apparently the answer is almost always yes, you can sue.
slothrop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
happiness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think whole point is that theyre foriegners and not even white foriegners.. god knows how many people take my picture a week or a month without my permission probably to write about my big fat ass on their naver pages..who knows...
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they get away with equating taking pictures with "sex crimes"?

The whole idea makes no sense.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's what the official legal info page of naver says. The page says the victim can ask for compensation if he/she feels violated.

Could you link that?
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:

It does though. If you were a woman in a bikini on a beach you probably wouldn't like some stranger sneaking some sly pictures of you without your consent. Its an invasion of privacy.

You could make a complaint to the police about that.. in any country...and they would take strong action.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
so if paparazi takes a picture of you jaywalking, and he gets a reward for that picture, and you get a fine, you can sue under this law and recoup the loss?

That's my question too. Remember when they were encouraging people to take photos of cars breaking traffic laws?

Some, though, may remember when they first put in the traffic cameras and there were a lot of complaints about invasion of privacy since more than a few photos were of men driving with women who weren't their wives and vice-versa.
slothrop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
radcon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:

It does though. If you were a woman in a bikini on a beach you probably wouldn't like some stranger sneaking some sly pictures of you without your consent. Its an invasion of privacy.

You could make a complaint to the police about that.. in any country...and they would take strong action.

How is it an invasion of privacy? It's in public on a public beach. Anybody who walks by can see the bikini girl.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
atwood wrote:

Some, though, may remember when they first put in the traffic cameras and there were a lot of complaints about invasion of privacy since more than a few photos were of men driving with women who weren't their wives and vice-versa.

i think the photos taken by highway cameras of drivers speeding and running red lights black out the passenger side to obscure any evidence of unexplainable aggasi. they are mailed to your home after all.

Not originally. They made those changes to protect the adulterers, some of who were of course government officials.
alongway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:

How is it an invasion of privacy? It's in public on a public beach. Anybody who walks by can see the bikini girl.

Someone having a quick peak and someone taking a permanent photograph are two different things. Not to mention it was made illegal over 2 years ago

Quote:
Article 13 paragraph ① of Korean Act on Special Cases concerning the Punishment, etc. of Sexual Crimes says as follows : Article 13 (Taking Pictures by Camera etc) ① A person who takes a picture of another's body which provokes people's sexual desires and causes the public to feel shame using a camera or other a similar equipment, or who distributes, sells, lends, openly displays or shows the taken pictures, shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years or by a fine not exceeding thirty million won.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: