Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phyllis Diller is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Phyllis Diller is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Phyllis Diller, the housewife turned humourist who aimed some of her sharpest barbs at herself, punctuating her jokes with her trademark cackle, died Monday morning in Los Angeles at age 95.

�She died peacefully in her sleep with a smile on her face,� her longtime manager, Milton Suchin, told The Associated Press.

Diller suffered a near-fatal heart attack in 1999. The cause of her death has not been released.

She was a staple of nightclubs and television from the 1950s � when female comics were rare indeed � until her retirement in 2002. Diller built her stand-up act around the persona of the corner-cutting housewife (�I bury a lot of my ironing in the back yard�) with bizarre looks, a wardrobe to match (by �Omar of Omaha�) and a husband named �Fang.�

One of those people best remembered for being "around", on game-shows, talk shows, celebrity roasts etc, than for any recognizable body of work. At least, that was the impression I had of her growing up in the 70s/80s. Her persona was sort of a female, somewhat less pathetic precursor to Rodney Dangerfield. With a more developed back story.

link
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just watching some Robot Chicken with Phyllis Diller.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in the 60's, I remember her as absolutely hysterical. Her jokes about her appearance and having a loser husband (Fang) were knee-slappers. No one else was doing what she did in her day. In my opinion, she didn't really evolve, so lost her edge when other women (and men) came along, but she broke barriers when she was new on the scene.
luckylady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watching Phyllis growing up as a young girl I absolutely loved that she laughed out loud and enjoyed herself the way she did. I totally believe much of my strong sense of humor and knowing how to laugh at myself has been influenced from her humor.

I loved her. loved her dress style. she will be missed.

forgot about Fang, happy to have the reminder. was he for real? makes me smile just thinking of that name. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: