Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNN report about PSY (K-pop)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: CNN report about PSY (K-pop) Reply with quote

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2012/08/02/wr-gangnam-style-goes-viral-in-rap-video.cnn

How does one explain to people that K-pop is not hugely popular in US when even CNN is trolling?
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, my middle school class had to read an article about CNN featuring him. I could understand if the video becomes a youtube hit, the video is pretty funny and and you don't really need to understand what's going on in it. It would be a hit in the sense of look what this goofy korean guy is doing rather than hey I really like this music.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say this for a K-pop star, Psy's whole act is rather more appealing than most. Dude never seems to take himself too seriously and keeps his message simple- Girls and booze.
goreality

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading an article on CNN about winky the elephant getting a false tooth....I suppose winky is also hugely popular by your standards.
maximmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goreality wrote:
I remember reading an article on CNN about winky the elephant getting a false tooth....I suppose winky is also hugely popular by your standards.

My standards? Check Korean newspapers -
happiness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand about that song I don't even think it's a good song
goreality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to believe that if you read it in the media it must be hugely popular. I just pointed out there are some things in the media that aren't popular. It's interesting that CNN reported it. Generally I take article that I read in Korean newspapers about the popularity of Korea abroad with a grain of salt. Even on youtube it's not the most popular music video of the day, week or month unless you have your location set to Korea.
maximmm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, kindergarten level, understood.
I'll explain what I meant just for you.

Korean media has been attempting to spread the idea that K-pop and Korean food is very popular around the world - something we all know is not true, but most Koreans read only what's in the Korean media - so, many Koreans nowadays believe that Korean food and K-pop are very popular everywhere.
The reason why I posted this thread is because when discussing the popularity of K-pop, Koreans will now not only show you links from Korean newspapers to prove their point (that K-pop is popular around the globe) but now also this link from CNN.

PS. The funny thing is, I don't have any problems with K-pop and I really like Korean food - I would have no problems with them being popular outside of Asia, but I do have a problem when news media spreads disinformation.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/

Now the Atlantic is reporting about it as well. It does seem that it has indeed become something of a hit in America though. Weird.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet those Idol-group execs are wondering why Psy's song is so popular overseas while their songs with skimply dressed girls don't... lol
maximmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember the day when Rain was voted in as the person of a year in Time Magazine?

How many Americans/western people do you suppose voted for him?

Still, I have to admit, many big western publications covered Psy and how his song got millions of hits in no time. The more publications do this, the more popular the song becomes, since more and more people check it out because of the publicity it gets via cnn, huffington post, etc.

Still - when it comes to foreign language songs - one that got huge in the west is Macarena due to the simple choreography that made people think that they could become dancers in 5 minutes - (as well as simple 'chorus - 'Oh, Macarena').

Who knows....
I feel like K-pop has better stuff than this that may actually be worth being known on global scale - yet, sometimes what becomes popularized is not what's better but what's weirder -
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dance seems to have become a pretty big hit in the U.S. But Psy and the song, really the video, will be forgotten soon enough. He's more than likely a one-hit wonder.

And while Koreans are pounding their chests with pride that this two-bit pop star is theirs, all theirs, that will pass once his youtube numbers go down. For example, not much talk about Shin Soo Choo these days.

But they are an easily led bunch, aren't they? Makes it easier to see why NK is the way it is.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think "weird" is definitely the term to describe its popularity not "good".

In that sense I don't really mind, because the video is a bit bizarre. But when K-ppl start talking about how "good" it is, I just roll my eyez.
fosterman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah well, I much rather the version by the Korean Americans

byuntae Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-eCB6R5tCM
nautilus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It succeeds because it is original and uniquely Korean.

Unlike all other K-pop which is a barely disguised rip off of western music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: