Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what specs for a laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: what specs for a laptop Reply with quote

I'm going to be getting a laptop for ESL, and wanted to at least match the specs of a 13 inch Macbook pro, which would mean 500gb harddrive and 4 gb of memory, and an i3 processor. I could get that in a Dell or Asus for pretty cheap and for a little bit more I can get 750 gb and 6gb memory, or for 620 bucks i could get a Dell with 8gb and 1 tb hardrive. I would get at least an i5 processor and I could get that plus the macbook specs for 480 in an Asus k series. I could spend 600 and get 6gb and 750gb in an Asus u series, or spend 620 and get 8gb and 1tb in a Dell Inspiron. Is there enough of a benefit in the 750 harddrive over the 500 to make it worth an extra $120? I would just be using it for the web, movies, and whatever I may need it for for teaching? Your advice would be appreciated, thanks. Also, do you recomend Asus over a Dell Insprion. My main concern is that it last for as long as possible. I've had my Dell desktop that I'm using right now for about 7 years, and my friend's Dell laptop lasted for like 5 years, so I have gad a good track record with Dells lasting a long time. But it would be fun to get something new, especially if everybody says its better.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web, movies and teaching: you don't need even the least powerful system you mentioned. An older, dual core would do everything you need to do easily. Unless you're running some crazy teaching apps. You might want to consider something bigger than 13 inches. Especially if you plan on watching movies on it. The extra screen resolution (or at least bigger pixels) is better for web browsing too.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I plan on getting a 15 inch screen, for the reasons you mentioned. I just wanted to match the hardware specs of a 13 inch Mac. Thanks for the advice, it helps.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some feedback on Asus vs Dell?
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here, i'll tell you exactly what you should do. (this is coming from a macbook pro owner)

first buy this laptop which is WAY more power than you actually need and much more powerful than a 13' mbp for much less money:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=271743152&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000002&pos_class_kind=T

then, buy this monitor:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=276012886

done. you get a 15' laptop that will handle almost everything you can throw at it and a 27' panel (the same one used in the imac) for less than 1.1mil krw. if you find that that particular laptop is too powerful you can search around and find one for even cheaper with slightly lower specs.

i own the same monitor by the way and can testify for how glorious it is, especially for the price.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm in America though. I wanted to get the laptop before I came over. In fact, I need to get it to do interviews since I don't currently have a webcam. That looks pretty cool though.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spend 20 bucks on a webcam, use a buddy's computer for the interview, wait til you get here and get a computer and monitor set that will blow away anything you find in america for that price.

plus you get the bonus of having a warranty here in case your computer breaks which if your american machine does you'll have plenty of hassles, plus you won't need an adapter for the plug. on top of that it'll have hangeul on the keyboard in case you decide to learn the language a bit and type love letters to the hotties here.

plus most foreigners think electronics are expensive here (which they can be if you don't know where to look) so you could sell it for the same price you bought it for when you leave if you so chose.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice
yoitsmykey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
spend 20 bucks on a webcam, use a buddy's computer for the interview, wait til you get here and get a computer and monitor set that will blow away anything you find in america for that price.

plus you get the bonus of having a warranty here in case your computer breaks which if your american machine does you'll have plenty of hassles, plus you won't need an adapter for the plug. on top of that it'll have hangeul on the keyboard in case you decide to learn the language a bit and type love letters to the hotties here.

plus most foreigners think electronics are expensive here (which they can be if you don't know where to look) so you could sell it for the same price you bought it for when you leave if you so chose.

Really? I went shopping for pre-built computers here and they were a bit more expensive than if I bought them in the US. Instead I opted to build a computer myself since I could find components priced similarly to what I would find in the US.
If pre-built computers cost a bit more, I assume laptops would too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: