Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kepler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-831737

He's outraged about bystanders who do nothing, insensitive police, and parents who demand that the charges be dropped. He sounds like he hasn't spent much time in his wife's country.
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once intervened to stop a guy attacking a pregnant woman.

My advice, if you see the same, is to restrain the attacker until the situation has calmed down a little, then get out of there fast.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One shocking thing that then occurred was that the police took the violent attacker into a room with my wife, and let him sit there in close proximity to my wifewithout any restraints (no handcuffs, nothing!), as they thought he had "calmed down". Are you kidding me? He could have attacked at any moment again....he is mentally deranged. Are victims rights respected in Korea?

This is something they continue to do - put the victim in the same room as the attacker. I thought they caught hell for it during some rape cases a few years back, but it's obvious that it hasn't changed.

Quote:
Most shockingly, during the attack, several store security staff (up to 3 people I was told) merely stood watching the attack, and calling for help on their walkie talkies, but providing her no protection or assistance. A 7 1/2 month old small woman mind you! Meanwhile, my very pregnant wife was trying to restrain this maniac from continuing to attack my 4 year old son, as the attacker repeatedly punched her in the head. Luckily, finally, a bystander grabbed the attacker and restrained him. Only at this time did the E-Mart store security take hold of the attacker, apparently making sure to first and foremost ensure their own safety (rather than a pregnant woman being attacked in front of them)! Clearly, E-Mart security had a responsibility to protect shoppers in their store to at least a reasonable degree. It is clear that their actions did not meet this standard.

I think we all know that most private security here is a joke. Usually old guys past the age of retirement.

Quote:
To add insult to injury, the parents of the attacker then arrived at the hospital and harrassed my wife, demanding they drop the charges against the attacker. I had to call the US Embassy, and have them contact the ROK police to request that they evict the parents from my wifes room, as the hospital failed to do so. Do victims in Korea have no protection from their attackers? Even at the hospital, the family of the attackers can come in at will and harrass the victim? Outrageous!

No doubt the parents were saying "you must understand!", and hoping to get some sympathy for their boy.

I've seen this before and it pisses me off. But what's worse, most of the Koreans I know go for it.

/sigh
fezmond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first comment on the cnn site is spot on.

sadly, none of what the victim had to put up with surprises me these days.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fezmond wrote:

From that comment:

Quote:
I would also say the timing of this attack is unfortunate since the Apple-Samsung court case has stirred up the crazies.

Is that true?
fezmond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
fezmond wrote:

From that comment:

Quote:
I would also say the timing of this attack is unfortunate since the Apple-Samsung court case has stirred up the crazies.

Is that true?

i may have overlooked that bit.

i don't really know to be honest. the only korean i've spoken to about the samsung/apple issue is my wife.

i mean the whole post - police not wanting to get involved, pressure from families, the bit about confusianism and lack of chivalry etc
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the patent case has fired up Korean nationalism? Are they breaking out the red headbands and fighting police in the streets?
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that pisses me off royally. I wish I was there.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most shockingly, during the attack, several store security staff (up to 3 people I was told) merely stood watching the attack, and calling for help on their walkie talkies, but providing her no protection or assistance. A 7 1/2 month old small woman mind you! Meanwhile, my very pregnant wife was trying to restrain this maniac from continuing to attack my 4 year old son, as the attacker repeatedly punched her in the head.

Hate to say it but I am not surprised.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the staff just standing by and watching? That happens in America too (and probably everywhere in the world). Right here on our forum we have had a number of videos posted wherein restaurant staff have stood by and watched as people were beaten in their stores. I remember in particular one case where some black women beat a white woman into a seizure while the store staff watched.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Regarding the staff just standing by and watching? That happens in America too (and probably everywhere in the world). Right here on our forum we have had a number of videos posted wherein restaurant staff have stood by and watched as people were beaten in their stores. I remember in particular one case where some black women beat a white woman into a seizure while the store staff watched.

In the USA, I once saw four paramedics just stand around watching a guy beat the pulp out of another guy. I asked why they weren't getting involved and they said it was a crime scene and couldn't get involved until the police showed up and secured it.
luckylady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:

He's outraged about bystanders who do nothing, insensitive police, and parents who demand that the charges be dropped. He sounds like he hasn't spent much time in his wife's country.

not only that, he sent her in an advanced stage of pregnancy alone with their obviously mixed ethnicity child - a 4 yr old - alone - ?? he wasn't planning to arrive until her DUE DATE??? how convenient for him.

I have no doubt that a lot of the harrassment she's endured post-attack would not have happened if she'd had her husband there with her. clearly she was being intimidated for being alone and having a small child with her as well, not to mention one of mixed race.

as for the attacker, yeah, that's another story altogether. wonder what will happen to the nutjob who did that.
nautilus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:
I have no doubt that a lot of the harrassment she's endured post-attack would not have happened if she'd had her husband there with her.

A woman shouldn't have to need a bodyguard 24/7 though.

Quote:
clearly she was being intimidated for being alone and having a small child with her as well, not to mention one of mixed race.

More and more, it appears that people in mixed relationships, or of mixed race, are not safe in Korea.

Harrasment is a pretty normal and expected experience for mixed race couples in Korea.

This high-profile incident signifies a transition from simple harrasment, to actual racist violence, and it needs to be publicly seen to be harshly punished. Or we may enter a new phase in this country.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
This high-profile incident signifies a transition from simple harrasment, to actual racist violence, and it needs to be publicly seen to be harshly punished. Or we may enter a new phase in this country.

That's what it signifies does it...really?
Not sure if your post was meant to be obvious sarcasm or unbelievable hyperbole.
luckylady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
luckylady wrote:
I have no doubt that a lot of the harrassment she's endured post-attack would not have happened if she'd had her husband there with her.

A woman shouldn't have to need a bodyguard 24/7 though.

no, of course not. just noting the way it is, unfortunately, for women.

I've discussed this with other women in my travels. Single women alone, anywhere in the world actually (although it varies in degrees from place to place), are targets for no more reason than the fact we are by ourselves. Women alone with children are also targets, regardless of the age of the child. some people just don't like the vision of an independent woman, much less of an independent mother.

a mentally deranged person seeking a target is still going to go for the one perceived as least able to resist - for whatever reason.

I was once verbally harrassed and felt physically threatened by a clearly disturbed middle-aged man near Ewha Univ one evening. I was supposed to meet someone for dinner, it was after dark. my friend hadn't arrived yet and this nutjob had me so nervous I actually went into a clothing shop and sought assistance until he left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: