Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rep. Todd Akin: No pregnancy from 'legitimate rape'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Rep. Todd Akin: No pregnancy from 'legitimate rape' Reply with quote

Quote:
Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri, caused a public outcry Sunday over his claim that victims of �legitimate rape� rarely get pregnant because the female body can prevent unwanted pregnancies. The Republican, who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill was made the unusual claim to defend his opposition to abortion rights for rape victims.

�First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,� Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. �If it�s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.�

Akin said if the rape victim did become pregnant, he would still be opposed to abortion as a legal option.

�Let�s assume that maybe that didn�t work, or something,� Akin said. �I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.�

Akin has previously called for and end to the school lunch program and a ban on the morning-after pill.

Source
ajosshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is sick. He needs to get that lobotomy ASAP!
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it�s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

What?!?

This just in: Birth control obsolete, Missouri senate nominee discovers that women can prevent pregnancy through wishing really hard.

Not to mention that by this "logic", rapists who get their victims pregnant should be let off because apparently the rape wasn't "legitimate".

Who puts these people into office?
catman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
Who puts these people into office?

Tea-anderthals.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've seen articles on Slate and I believe Salon as well that talked about research into women being able to "reject" undesired sperm. Certainly neither of those websites are bastions of Tea-Partydom.

That doesn't excuse his comments, but for all we knew he might have gotten that info from reading Slate.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a Phillistine. The thing is how do these people make it in politics this far?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The thing is how do these people make it in politics this far?

Really?

The 'conservative/libertarian alliance' (aren't they the same thing?) wing want to return to the idealistic it-was-never-true-and-can-never-be-true, but what the heck, women automatically reject sperm if it is overly-aggressively inserted, along with a bruise or two and busted jaw.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Republican Rep. Todd Akin has been strongly rebuked by members of his own party for his controversial remarks on rape and abortion, but that didn't stop Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa from defending Akin on Monday and making similar remarks.

According to a report by Sioux City, Iowa CBS affiliate KMEG, King said he hasn't heard of instances in which young victims of statutory rape or incest become pregnant.

"Well I just haven't heard of that being a circumstance that's been brought to me in any personal way, and I'd be open to discussion about that subject matter," King said.

Bravo Rolling Eyes
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Quote:
Republican Rep. Todd Akin has been strongly rebuked by members of his own party for his controversial remarks on rape and abortion, but that didn't stop Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa from defending Akin on Monday and making similar remarks.

According to a report by Sioux City, Iowa CBS affiliate KMEG, King said he hasn't heard of instances in which young victims of statutory rape or incest become pregnant.

"Well I just haven't heard of that being a circumstance that's been brought to me in any personal way, and I'd be open to discussion about that subject matter," King said.

Bravo Rolling Eyes

That pretty directly goes counter to what he was spouting off about a couple of weeks ago when he was nattering on about how predators could pick up a 13-year old at a playground, take her across state lines and force her to get an abortion.

With any luck whatsoever, the man will be defeated in November. (Iowa has been redistricted and he is now in a competitive race with the wife of a former governor. Go Mrs. Vilsack!)

A second point: Sarah P was on Greta and came out for a THIRD PARTY run for Sarah Steelman, one of the losing candidates in the recent primary. Grrrreat idea!

You just know David Axelrod and David Plouffe are staying up all night wracking their brains trying to come up with a strategy that will exacerbate the division between the evangelical wing from no-less bat guano crazy allied wings of the GOP.
luckylady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a good sign for your Senate campaign when the Raging Grannies mock your statement with a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anc_gP2_QeI&feature=player_embedded

Akin needs to crawl back under his rock and stay there. Twisted Evil
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually hope he stays in. I wish more politicians would reveal how they really feel.

It makes it easier for the public to choose.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another one now.

This guy, a Senate candidate in Penn., says his daughter got pregnant before marriage but decided to have the baby. It's a good illustration of the patriarchal mind-set of the male species. It seems he equates out of wedlock pregnancy and pregnancy as a result of rape as similar...because he (as the dad) didn't give his consent???
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
He's a Phillistine. The thing is how do these people make it in politics this far?

Sometimes they are planted.

Quote:
Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., and Democratic outside groups, pouring in over $1 million during Missouri's Republican Senate primary, got the guy they wanted: Rep. Todd Akin, who Tuesday upset two other Republicans to take the GOP nomination.

Meanwhile, the GOP won't fund him.

Open Secrets: Akin
alljokingaside

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

Sometimes they are planted.

Quote:
Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., and Democratic outside groups, pouring in over $1 million during Missouri's Republican Senate primary, got the guy they wanted: Rep. Todd Akin, who Tuesday upset two other Republicans to take the GOP nomination.

Meanwhile, the GOP won't fund him.

Open Secrets: Akin

meh. they're just made 'cuz he idiotically and bluntly said what most GOPhers think and do. He's like that obnoxious kid that deconstructs the joke as it's playing out, thus ruining the joke to the group
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: