Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Hard drive repair in Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lolimahro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: External Hard drive repair in Seoul Reply with quote

I spazzed out and broke our SimpleTech brand external hard drive. I need to get it fixed, but the best advice I've been given is just "Go to Yongsan."

Any specifics on which part of Yongsan, or what floor number of which building to go to? I know the drive wasn't a well-known brand so I'm hoping someone will be willing to at least try and fix it for me.

Thanks in advance!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: External Hard drive repair in Seoul Reply with quote

Lolimahro wrote:
I spazzed out and broke our SimpleTech brand external hard drive. I need to get it fixed, but the best advice I've been given is just "Go to Yongsan."

Any specifics on which part of Yongsan, or what floor number of which building to go to? I know the drive wasn't a well-known brand so I'm hoping someone will be willing to at least try and fix it for me.

Thanks in advance!

OK... this message has 2 parts...

Information on Yongsan and information on your repair.

Yongsan (get out of the station). The mall in/above the station is the MOST expensive place to get stuff.

Go over to the sun-in plaza.
map = http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2200/2283113973_2ba7bc0f8d_o.jpg

An external HDD is simply 2 parts; the case and the HDD.

IF the CASE is damaged then you can get a replacement for about 20k won at the sun-in plaza. The place that sells it to you can usually install it for about 5k won - and often for free.

If the HDD itself is damaged - your information/data is probably gone.

The drive can be replaced for between 50k and 150k depending on the size of the replacement drive you want to put into your case.
Lolimahro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch! I'll try heading over there tomorrow to see what I can find.
re:cursive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a data recovery place close to Sinyongsan station.

They'll run a test while you wait and quote a price to do the job. If they can recover it, you pay for the data. If they can't recover it, you pay nothing and they give you back the drive.

I was quoted 300,000 to recover data off a mac drive. Unfortunately they weren't successful in my case.

If you're wanting to recover your data, let me know and I'll see if I can find their details when I get home.
scorpiocandy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've banged up my hard drive apparently and I'm hoping I can save SOMETHING from it.

Does anybody have current information on a place that can do recovery (or attempt a recovery) please?

I live in Seoul, will go any area where they could help.
Thanks
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpiocandy wrote:
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've banged up my hard drive apparently and I'm hoping I can save SOMETHING from it.

Does anybody have current information on a place that can do recovery (or attempt a recovery) please?

I live in Seoul, will go any area where they could help.
Thanks

http://www.mitdr.com/

These guys are your best bet in Korea, I'll say. They've been in data recovery industry the longest, properly equipped with labs and all.
Still, you won't know whether your data is wholly or partially recoverable until technicians get their hands on your drive.
Mine was f-ed up from inside - head and actuator arm went loose causing severe scratches on disk surface - and was beyond recovery, but they don't charge you a dime if they can't retrieve your data, even if the technician has already put in hours of his efforts.
When they succeed, though, you get billed dearly. It depends on the total capacity of your disk - it is irrelevant how much data was actually stored in it. If it's a 200GB HDD for a laptop on Windows XP, just for an example, the 'success fee' would easily amount to 400k~450k Won.
Their Yongsan customer service desk is at '용산구 청파로 109번지 전자월드빌딩 3층 315호' which is on the 3rd floor of KB Kookmin Bank building, across from Lotteria, one block north of the blue Yongsan 'Terminal Mall' building. See if this helps: http://dmaps.kr/bty2
A few of Myung's staffs speak certain degree of English as well.
scorpiocandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I suspect the worst but hoping its not as I think Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: