Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7-year-old girl abducted and raped in S Korea, police say
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajosshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: 7-year-old girl abducted and raped in S Korea, police say Reply with quote

Update: Suspect in Naju's child abduction-rape case admits to crime (He said he was drunk.)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2012/08/31/19/0302000000AEN20120831006354315F.HTML
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7-year-old girl abducted and raped in South Korea, police say

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Police in South Korea have detained a man suspected of abducting a 7-year-old girl from her home and raping her, local police officials said Friday.

The parents of the girl realized she was missing at 7 a.m. Thursday and looked for her before reporting it to the police half an hour later in Naju, a city in the southwestern province of South Jeolla, said Kim Il-kyu, head of the criminal investigation department in Naju.

The city's police officers called for backup and 160 personnel from nearby police stations joined the search for the girl, he said.

The girl was found at 12:55 p.m. Thursday on a sidewalk near a river in the city, according to Kim. She was naked, wrapped in a blanket and showed signs of having been raped, he said. She underwent an operation for organ damage, Kim added.

According to the police, the girl had been sleeping in the living room of her home with her mother and three siblings. She told officers she was taken by a man she didn't know. She was due to be questioned by a social worker on Friday.

Body fluid samples have been taken to the Criminal Investigation Laboratory, according to Kim.

The police detained a suspect on Friday and took him to the police station in Naju for questioning, said two police officers with knowledge of the case who declined to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

As public outrage over the case grew, President Lee Myung-bak made an unscheduled visit to the National Police Agency in Seoul on Friday.

According to CNN affiliate YTN, Lee apologized for the authorities' failure to prevent the attack from taking place.

"The general public is extremely concerned about the lack of public order," he said. "The police should make every effort to restore public order."

South Koreans responded with anger on social media to news reports about the case.

"The offender should get the highest punishment possible," a person using the name Yeonbang1996 said on Twitter. Others called specifically for the attacker to be castrated.

A law authorizing the use of chemical castration, a drug treatment intended to suppress sexual impulses, on some sex offenders came into effect in South Korea last year.

People over the age of 19 who have sexually offended against children under the age of 16 and are diagnosed with pedophilia can be subject to the treatment, according to the Justice Ministry.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/31/world/asia/south-korea-child-rape/index.html
rollo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemical castration sounds good. This monster is a threat and should lose his right to have sex. Disgusting and wish this bastard could suffer as his victim has suffered. Hope that the victim recovers and has a great life. Would love to have this scumbag in a soundproof room for about two hours.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"(I was) out of my mind after drinking. (I) committed the crime under the influence of liquor," Ko was quoted by police as saying.

So what.

Life in jail for you..you sick piece of human misery.

Unfortunately, no amount of punishment will ever compensate for this type of crime.
JustinC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope in jail he receives the same injuries he gave, every day.
fosterman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the police don't really care about preventing crimes. they only care about making money! they are busy setting up cameras and looking for drivers to ticket. they couldn't care less about someone being murdered or raped! they don't get points for preventing crimes, only points for ticketing people.

and the rapist? he will be out in about 10 years, and he will do it again and the police wont be able to prevent it, because again they will have all their man power stationed at monitors looking for drivers speeding!
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
the police don't really care about preventing crimes. they only care about making money! they are busy setting up cameras and looking for drivers to ticket. ... they don't get points for preventing crimes, only points for ticketing people.

...they will have all their man power stationed at monitors looking for drivers speeding!

Is this about police in general?
Not arguing against your point...if you are referring to north american style cops.
But in Korea?
One of the few things that is extremely pleasing about Korean cops is their lack of involvement in traffic affairs...speeding being the main one.
Back in NA, one always has to be on the lookout for cops while speeding.
In Korea, next to never...for me...never.
Just look out for the photo radar, which they kindly warn you of well in advance, then slow down for the picture...then proceed to speed.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:

Really, now? And how, exactly, do you expect to work that? What rewards should the people who inflict such injuries receive? And what if those people themselves happen to be incarcerated for similar crimes? What then?

Or perhaps we could act better than the scum in question and actually emrace the rule of law, actually discard the notion of vigilantism.

On a not un-related note: Korea's prisons do not seem to be the hotbeds of criminal assault you seem to wish them to be.

And if you're not serious about that asinine comment of yours, perhaps you should simply edit it out. After all, there is no real defense for it.
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
Chemical castration sounds good. This monster is a threat and should lose his right to have sex. Disgusting and wish this bastard could suffer as his victim has suffered. Hope that the victim recovers and has a great life. Would love to have this scumbag in a soundproof room for about two hours.

Castration is not punishment. It is prevention.

So what is the punishment then?

I can't believe this alone is being considered as justice. (Not you, just in general.)
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madowlspeaks wrote:
rollo wrote:

Castration is not punishment. It is prevention.

So what is the punishment then?

I can't believe this alone is being considered as justice. (Not you, just in general.)

Prison + judicial control of an offender's sex drive after eventual release is what they're proposing. Seems reasonable to me in these sad circumstances.

Threads like this always generate tough guy poseur revenge fantasists tapping away on their keyboards, some sounding almost as sick as the offender.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
JustinC wrote:

Really, now? And how, exactly, do you expect to work that? What rewards should the people who inflict such injuries receive? And what if those people themselves happen to be incarcerated for similar crimes? What then?

Or perhaps we could act better than the scum in question and actually emrace the rule of law, actually discard the notion of vigilantism.

On a not un-related note: Korea's prisons do not seem to be the hotbeds of criminal assault you seem to wish them to be.

And if you're not serious about that asinine comment of yours, perhaps you should simply edit it out. After all, there is no real defense for it.

Asinine? An eye for an eye is not foolish.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:

Actually...it kinda is.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
JustinC wrote:

Actually...it kinda is.

As a reaction to a crime like this, it's fitting.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your defense? "An eye for an eye"? You must be joking. But on the off chance that you're actually serious--and leaving aside the simple fact that what you posited is more than "an eye for an eye"--you should be able to elucidate your stance. Don't forget to answer the questions I put to you above. After all, you're hoping for either prisoners to be agents fo the state or you hoping for the guards themselves to render your so-caled justice. Let's hear your well-thought out justification.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
JustinC wrote:

Actually...it kinda is.

As a reaction to a crime like this, it's fitting.

I hear where you are coming from...and this type of crime disgusts me beyond description.
However, no amount of retribution can undue his actions.
Just killing this guy would be enough for me...it doesn't have to be rape or torture....a bullet would suffice.
Life is prison is expensive...and I abhor this kind of expense.

As for the 'eye for an eye'...it is a very slippery slope...not one a civilized society can afford to play on.

As for individuals however...that is a different story.
Get your revenge...and then stfu.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Life is prison is expensive...and I abhor this kind of expense.

Last I heard, capital punishment is more expensive than life incarceration.

Quote:
As for the 'eye for an eye'...it is a very slippery slope...not one a civilized society can afford to play on.

Agreed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: