Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honduras Gov't Allows for Creation of 3 Privately-Run Cities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Honduras Gov't Allows for Creation of 3 Privately-Run Cities Reply with quote

Wowsers, talk about losing sovereignty - Honduras' gov't basically just handed over a chunk of its territory to foreign investors (SK is conducting a feasibility study - no surprise there). Screw the folks who actually called the land home, there are huge kick-backs to be made for the scum-of-the-earth that approved this.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_HONDURAS_PRIVATE_CITIES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-09-04-21-45-18

Quote:
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (AP) -- Investors can begin construction in six months on three privately run cities in Honduras that will have their own police, laws, government and tax systems now that the government has signed a memorandum of agreement approving the project.

An international group of investors and government representatives signed the memorandum Tuesday for the project that some say will bring badly needed economic growth to this small Central American country and that at least one detractor describes as "a catastrophe."

Seriously, when are the dirt-bags of the world gonna start swinging from lampposts so that their ilk comes to realize acting like this has consequences? Really, the inmates are running the asylum at this point.

The frogs are slowly cooking......

(p.s. I know Honduras is an f-ed up place, but this is unconscionable.)
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I realize it's bad form to follow your own post (especially since no one else is here), but I have yet to think this through and the OP was my knee-jerk reaction.

I know it's just little ol' Honduras, but I don't like the trend ala Madagascar and so forth. I fear a more direct form of feudalism in the future (rather than the neo-version we currently enjoy).
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a certain pathetic wisdom in being able to say, "We're just too corrupt and inept to manage ourselves, let's ask wealthy investors to colonize part of our country, and hope to spring-board off of their success." At the same time, though, when a government is such a pathetic failure that they're outsourcing governance to private parties, one really must ask the question, "Why even have a government?"
recessiontime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
There is a certain pathetic wisdom in being able to say, "We're just too corrupt and inept to manage ourselves, let's ask wealthy investors to colonize part of our country, and hope to spring-board off of their success." At the same time, though, when a government is such a pathetic failure that they're outsourcing governance to private parties, one really must ask the question, "Why even have a government?"

One might also ask "why even have a mafia?"
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recessiontime wrote:
Fox wrote:

One might also ask "why even have a mafia?"

Yes, if one were a total hypocrite who ignored all empirical evidence about what life in an ungoverned region world was like and continued to bemoan the very principle of governed society while benefitting from it, one might ask that under these circumstances.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The governors will establish the rules by which the cities are initially run in conjunction with the developers, Strong said, but those rules can be changed in the future by popular votes among all residents of the cities.

Strong said Honduran law would not apply in the cities but they would have to adhere to international conventions on human rights and other basic principles.

Neo-feudalism has arrived. <shudder>

I can see it now:

Citizens of X, we the governing counsel feel it is necessary to lower wages in order for us to import more 3rd World women for us to exploit, rape, and cheat, like in Dubai. You are free to agree or disagree.

Just remember that if you disagree, our hired thugs from villages that are starving will drag you from your homes in the middle of the night and either beat you to death on the spot or torture you to death slowly. However, remember that you are free to agree with your loving governing counsel.

Is it too soon to predict the end of modern western civilization and welcome the beginning of GALTian Neo-feudal Civilization?
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-slow-death-of-democracy-in-europe
http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/09/07/the-sovereign-central-bank/
Quote:
This central bank is the only European body that can act. And as the only real actor in a continent in crisis, as the emergency deepens, its powers grow. National governments bluster; the European parliament wrings its hands�This is how you can tell where, in a mixed government, the true power of sovereignty resides.

Via Meadia salutes the first central bank in the world to achieve sovereign power. Mario Draghi is the most powerful banker in the history of the world.

I am cynical so I assume the bank as sovereign was the point of the EU and when these cities in Honduras are exposed as hellish sweatshops for 99.9% of residents I'll assume that was the desired outcome as well.

I share Caniff's hostility to this idea.

This is kinda relevant.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1107.5728.pdf

And this too:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed--the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: