Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy's Recent Popularity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In your hypothetical example, both the neighbor AND the person taking petty glee in seeing them fail would be worthy of scorn. And what if the kids are actually decent people at heart?

It could also be that I hang out with good, decent, normal Korean people that I don't ever succumb to the desire to see random strangers fail just because they are from a certain country.

Well, good for you but I think you're a bit naive if you really think such behaviour is 'weird'.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
It could also be that I hang out with good, decent, normal Korean people that I don't ever succumb to the desire to see random strangers fail just because they are from a certain country.

Perhaps a point being overlooked here...it isn't that people want Psy to fail...just that awful song.
Psy has a history of 'borrowing/sampling' other peoples' music...and then becoming popular because of it.
It doesn't make the music good...it just makes Psy popular.
Perhaps that is his talent...being popular...if so...then good for him.
Unfortunately, some of us have to suffer when that song is played. Crying or Very sad
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you still need to research what sampling actually is.
chasmmi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what Western success Psy achieves or does not acheive I am happy to see him getting some exposure (even if it is arguably his weakest song to date).

He has charisma and a far less manufactured feel than a lot of what I come across in Korea and I genuinely like some of his songs.

Added to that his live concerts are something else when it comes to Kpop concerts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cKc1rkZwf8

(I like the above song a lot, but the link is mostly for the concert footage in the video, that wouldn't be out of place as a set piece for a US singer.)
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Psy has a couple of good albums that came out well before this Gangnam Style craze.

He is pretty talented and his previous stuff is not bad at all.

I say good for him with Gangnam Style. I am glad for his success and the video is creative, funny and well produced. The song itself is musically standard pop but the message is pretty interesting. The main attraction seems to be the wacky nature of the video (the cut-scenes and what he does).

What has happened is pretty damn impressive. His video and song has taken you tube by storm and has spawned a ton of funny spoofs and immitations (Chicago Style, Byuntai Style, Oregon Duck Style). Heck if the Oregon Duck football team saw this song and made a video based on it, you know it has reached pretty far.

We saw him live once and he gives a hell of a show.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually Psy has a couple of good albums that came out well before this Gangnam Style craze.

I say good for him with Gangnam Style. I am glad for his success and the video is creative, funny and well produced. The song itself is musically standard pop but the message is pretty interesting. The main attraction seems to be the wacky nature of the video (the cut-scenes and what he does).

What has happened is pretty damn impressive. His video and song has taken you tube by storm and has spawned a ton of funny spoofs and immitations (Chicago Style, Byuntai Style, Oregon Duck Style). Heck if the Oregon Duck football team saw this song and made a video based on it, you know it has reached pretty far.

Just curious but if you thought Psy was a bag of shite, would you have posted on here telling everyone? I kind of think not.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Just curious but if you thought Psy was a bag of shite, would you have posted on here telling everyone? I kind of think not.

Just like I think Justin Bieber is a plague but will not waste my time posting about it....also I think the Wondergirls are a form of torture imposed on mankind, but will not go and post about this either...how do you NOT get this??

Laughing
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:
I agree with all your comments. I think he's on minute 10 of his 15 minutes of fame. He just got signed by a big producer but who is really going to buy one of his albums? His song wouldnt be that popular if it wasnt for the video.

Do you know/think that the song is so huge here now is because it is now famous overseas?

And?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....also I think the Wondergirls are a form of torture imposed on mankind,

Truthful answer PGB but it doesn't sound very PC to me. Aren't you the guy who, every time someone mentions 'SLP' is an acronym for 'Slave Labor programe', goes into a spiel about how we shouldn't talk about people being enslaved, even in jest, as it's a disrespectful analogy and denigrates the people who were actually enslaved duing the 18th and 19th centuries? Aren't you that guy?

But it's OK to talk about the Wondergirls music torturing people? Do you know what torture is really like? Is that really a respectful analogy bearing in mind the work of Amnesty international and the number of torture victims still alive all over the world?

Possible replies

1) no answer - that's my usual practice when I've lost the argument (like in the Apple v Samsung thread)
2) torture and slavery aren't the same thing
3) those guys were serious, I was obviously joking
4) the Wondergirls and SLP aren't the same thing
5) It wasn't me who objected to people talking about being slaves, it was someone else
6) you're stupid/stalking etc...
7) yeah, good point it's a fair cop. I'll be less of a pompous dick in the future

My money's on 1 or 4
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Truthful answer PGB but it doesn't sound very PC to me. Aren't you the guy who, every time someone mentions 'SLP' is an acronym for 'Slave Labor programe', goes into a spiel about how we shouldn't talk about people being enslaved, even in jest, as it's a disrespectful analogy and denigrates the people who were actually enslaved duing the 18th and 19th centuries? Aren't you that guy?

But it's OK to talk about the Wondergirls music torturing people? Do you know what torture is really like? Is that really a respectful analogy bearing in mind the work of Amnesty international and the number of torture victims still alive all over the world?

Possible replies

1) no answer - that's my usual practice when I've lost the argument (like in the Apple v Samsung thread)
5) It wasn't me who objected to people talking about being slaves, it was someone else
7) yeah, good point it's a fair cop. I'll be less of a pompous dick in the future

My money's on 1 or 4

If you think my use of the word torture was the same as some idiot whining that teaching in Korea is slavery then you are really not as intelligent as I thought you were.

As for the Apple-Samsung thread, no argument was lost because it was not a debate or an argment to start with. You however seem to crave or need WINNING on here. Did you also challenge others who had differering views in the thread ED?

Sigh....you really do not get it. I assumed you did get it but were playing some stupid game but it appears that you truly do not understand or even want to.
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again the fact that Psy has gotten this much attention is pretty clear evidence that the current music scene and modern day culture is in a pretty sad state.
Dr.Itaewon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Possible replies

My money's on 1 or 4

If you think my use of the word torture was the same as some idiot whining that teaching in Korea is slavery then you are really not as intelligent as I thought you were.

As for the Apple-Samsung thread, no argument was lost because it was not a debate or an argment to start with. You however seem to crave or need WINNING on here. Did you also challenge others who had differering views in the thread ED?

Sigh....you really do not get it. I assumed you did get it but were playing some stupid game but it appears that you truly do not understand or even want to.

What a trouncing this guy has been taking. That was a combination reply of two and six... so, you LOST, Edwardcatflap. It wasn't one nor four. Patrick, son... you play poorly in this arena. Home court always feels homely when you're winning, but you can't make a pseudo-reality internet forum your home when you lose, over and over again. And, you don't even live here anymore, so, loss after loss, there is little reason for you to show up to the game. You're an Expos fan, or the sad kid sitting outside the fence with his glove. All you got is the hat.

I think you need a reality refreshing to move on from this series of hits you've been taking. You got schooled hard by ETPKorea (I know I'm messing his name up) in that Apple thread. That guy took you to town and it's pathetic that you weren't man enough to admit that you were pulling stuff out of your butt on there. And, you appear to be one of the most disliked members of this forum. Take a vacation, buddy.
yodanole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60og9gwKh1o
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Unfortunately, popularity does not make good music.
Popularity and spoofs on them just confirm what Dave Chance has now mentioned a few times.
Remember this classic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
Psy's song is in on par with this.

It really is that bad.
Gorf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's annoying to see friends post about it on Facebook or see it on reddit. They don't know we have to hear that song all day, every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: