Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy's Recent Popularity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gforce645"]Those F5 bot programs have been running non stop. I wonder if people will catch on when the views reach over 1 billion and the Psy fad has long passed. Even as of now I still wonder if any real people are watching it and who they are. Maybe tribes in Papua New Guinea are just finally catching on.[/quote]

Laughing Laughing Laughing
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is that PSY's video is the record holder for 'likes' at over 5 mil. Previous record was sub-0.5 mil. Try explaining that with your F5 bot.
gforce645

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like many people wanted to de-throne Beiber as #1 most viewed video. Other people wanted something, anything Korean to be #1 at something. My students say they're happy that Psy has made the world look at and know Korea.

Same answer when they tell me about upcoming Olympics. "I am happy that the world will know the Korea." I tell them that once the world is watching and they're on the global stage, the world will scrutinize Korea. Even though there's so many great things to be proud about, there's no promise that it will like everything it sees. That may be the case if/when people start to investigate the astronomical amount of viewers for the video.

5 million "LIKES" isnt impossible to get from real people. But its not that impressive at all if it had been legitimately viewed 830 million times. If its possible to have a bot view the video multiple times, is it that inconceivable that another bot can "LIKE" the video? I'm not saying thats the case, just wondering if its possible to program a bot like that.
fosterman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
One thing to consider is that PSY's video is the record holder for 'likes' at over 5 mil. Previous record was sub-0.5 mil. Try explaining that with your F5 bot.

simple! watch the excitement around worldcup time for the Korean national team!! you would think this country is a Football crazy nation!!!
more so than England, Italy, and even brazil!
with millions and millions of people turning out at city hall, packing stadiums across the country to watch the Korean national team play FOOTBALL!
DAEHANMINGUK!

90% of them don't even know the rules to the game!
98% of them don't even know the players on the opposing team!
95% of them will not have been or will not ever see a K league game!
or even watch another country vs another country play each other.

their favorite Foreign teams are teams where a Korean plays on it.
regardless of the team, it's ranking, it's skills, the other players..
just as long as a Korean is there, they are fans of that team, once that Korean guy is sold or traded the Koreans no longer like that team

5 million likes for psy! easily explained..
DAEHANMINGUK!
\

ps, not exactly the best song for Korea to be known for though now is it.
feel sorry for musicians in this country who are real singers and musicians.
not rappers who play along to a digital backing track!
psy is nothing more than a BOYBAND, KPOP, Studio Muppet!
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ haha, yep. Koreans are the biggest fair weather fans. The land of Indians hats.
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:
Those F5 bot programs have been running non stop. I wonder if people will catch on when the views reach over 1 billion and the Psy fad has long passed. Even as of now I still wonder if any real people are watching it and who they are. Maybe tribes in Papua New Guinea are just finally catching on.

It's quite obvious people are watching it. Just look at the comment section. The first 20 pages of comments are within the last 15 minutes.

Honestly, some of you are really paranoid or you just want to see Korea fail at everything. It's quite sad, really.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get over it, haters. Psy deserves some credit. What have you done lately to catch the world's attention?
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Get over it, haters. Psy deserves some credit. What have you done lately to catch the world's attention?

What does this even mean? I don't understand this argument at all Confused

Are you saying that just because we haven't achieved zietgiest status we can't hate on Psy? Laughing
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
schwa wrote:

Are you saying that just because we haven't achieved zietgiest status we can't hate on Psy? Laughing

You're hating on Psy, because he's Korean. It's obvious. You're all clearly jaded about something when it comes to Korea.

Like I said before, compare this thread on Dave's to a thread about Gangnam style from a board based in the US/West. You'll see that some of you are clearly hating on him because he's Korean.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
schwa wrote:

You're hating on Psy, because he's Korean. It's obvious. You're all clearly jaded about something when it comes to Korea.

Like I said before, compare this thread on Dave's to a thread about Gangnam style from a board based in the US/West. You'll see that some of you are clearly hating on him because he's Korean.

I would not take it that far. I do not think everything-is-everything and his her ilk hates Koreans (or at least I hope not). I think that this more of a transferance or projection issue. Something like everything-is-everything and his or her ilk are frustrated with certain things in Korea (to varying degrees) and vent about it here in broad terms. This whole PSY thing just irritates them more and they just apply the same venting method to him.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would not take it that far. I do not think everything-is-everything and his her ilk hates Koreans (or at least I hope not). I think that this more of a transferance or projection issue. Something like everything-is-everything and his or her ilk are frustrated with certain things in Korea (to varying degrees) and vent about it here in broad terms. This whole PSY thing just irritates them more and they just apply the same venting method to him.

Yes I agree and made a similar point back on page 1

Quote:
Probably a lot of people on here have to deal with kids telling them how wonderful Korea is day after day and how Psy and Girls Generation are liked all over the world, while those same kids show no interest in what the teacher has to say. Is is really surprising that some people start feeling they actually don't really want k pop to dominate world culture after all?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
schwa wrote:

What does this even mean? I don't understand this argument at all

It's a re-hashed version of the old 'it's better than you could do' argument kids used to come up with at primary school. So logically I suppose I shouldn't be saying my team played crap on Saturday because they can all play football at a higher level than me. Rolling Eyes
happiness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was on Jay Leno performing for the all military audience for Thxgvng. That was cool, he worked the crowd, even Jay was calling him a global superstar sensation. exactly what the locals always say about everything here..

funny, it doesnt seem Koreans are bragging about him as much, wonder why? ideas?
fosterman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

naa bro.. just that the song is friggen stupid!
and if making the stupidest song possible is what it takes to make international super stardom. then god help us all!
seriously! jumping around like you are pretending to ride a horse?

what decade is this? seriously...

this song wont survive the test of time.
seriously you guys gonna put this track on 20 years from now and go.
ohhh dannnggg I love this jam! this song is the bomb! yo yo yo bro..
get ready man.. yeah OPPA ride that horse man...

really?

I can listen to Michael jackson's Billie jean 30 years after it was debut and say, YEAH! now that's a song! and that's a dance.

I can listen to Elvis Presley sing Blue suede shoes, or jerry lee lewis 50 years later and say, wow, great song, and great entertainment.

I aint friggen listening to PSY 30 years from now and saying , OHH YEAH the song which took the world by storm, the greatest song in history!
ohh yeah man this song rocks!

naaaa.. the song sucks.. even psy can't believe the success on the back of this song he is getting. he can't believe it. even he said, it was just a silly song with no meaning and a silly dance. kind of a parody you know..

but hey, you tube ranking means nothing to me.. Justin beiber has like 10 of his songs up there in the top 25 viewed songs.. so it means nothing.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
schwa wrote:

Yeah, but the people in the US/West don't have to live with the hallayu bull$h!t.

Look I don't mind if something from a particular country becomes popular around the world, but when it's used to promote nationalistic pride I hate it. Korean Wave? boo-erns!!!!

Just like I hated the part in the movie Independence Day when the freakin President navigated the bloody alien UFO to win the battle against the aliens Laughing

Look, Koreans have come a long way and their narrative is quit incredible and I hold a lot of respect for them.

But when it comes to this "look at me, look at me!!!!" mentality I see here it drives me bat poop crazy.

It's like that kid at school that is always trying to be noticed and seek attention.

I understand that it stems from a national insecurity complex and all, but Koreans need to chill with the nationalistic element of trying to export their culture.

This mentality lead to Rain being the most popular whatever in the world and Jeju becoming a natural something.

In conclusion to this rant; if Justin Bieber ever went on too much about Canada I'd be the first to smack that little punk upside the head.

Korea should be proud of The Miricle on the Han, Bokbunja, Pansori (that Korean drumming thing), Jin from Lost and the two hot chicks from Girls Generation.

Psy.....well actually I don't mind the song and I think he's an alright dude.

But since I think his youtube numbers are likely inflated by netizens I've been labeled a Korean hater and even racist on this thread. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: