Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy's Recent Popularity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, funny last two posts. I thought it was Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith who flew the UFO in Independence Day, not the president Bill Pullman.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Lol, funny last two posts. I thought it was Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith who flew the UFO in Independence Day, not the president Bill Pullman.

Yeah I might be off a little on that one, but President Pullman definitley piloted some kind of aircraft in the final battle scene.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:

And did America get one word of thanks for saving the world? No.

We had another President-Pilot take office a few years later and all people did was make fun of us. We sacrificed one of our best crop-dusters and Harry Connick, Jr. to save stupid France. We even nuked Houston. What a rip off. If the aliens ever come back and the world asks for our help, I say "Hard Cheese."
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

And did America get one word of thanks for saving the world? No.

We had another President-Pilot take office a few years later and all people did was make fun of us. We sacrificed one of our best crop-dusters and Harry Connick, Jr. to save stupid France. We even nuked Houston. What a rip off. If the aliens ever come back and the world asks for our help, I say "Hard Cheese."

Ehh, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to nuking Houston, and I have relatives there. Could deal without them, personally.

On topic... fosterman is right on and funny as hell, assuming you have a non-robotic sense of humor. These expectations and ulterior motives are pretty absurd. Koreans have a big #1 complex. It's a crappy pop song, as most pop songs generally are, end of story. It's not going to make any kind of significant impact on the overall music scene. That's why he's cashing in, and good on him for doing so. Any argument regarding a Bieber/Psy youtube view count showdown is automatically deemed retarded. Who here will admit to being a Justin Bieber fan? Step up! It's not a question of quality at this point, merely one of quantity. Fake BS. These pop icon puppets, whether they be some dumb chump like Bieber, or a Korean dude with a humping horse dance, exist to make you stupider. There's a lot of good music out there... and there comes a time where an ideal of standards should come in to play.
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
One thing to consider is that PSY's video is the record holder for 'likes' at over 5 mil. Previous record was sub-0.5 mil. Try explaining that with your F5 bot.

Furthermore. . .

Bieber's Baby hit #1 in two countries.

Psy's Gangnam Style hit #1 in over 30 countries.

Yet the retards and nutjobs on Dave's cannot accept that Psy beat Bieber legitimately, so it must be some sort of Korean netizen conspiracy. Rolling Eyes
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy admits getting tired of 'Gangnam Style'
Quote:
"Sometimes, honestly, yes I get tired or I get sick of it because I got so many requests to teach them, you know, like average let me say 50 requests per city, per country," said Psy, whose full name is Park Jae-Sang.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/284637/showbiz/showbizabroad/psy-admits-getting-tired-of-gangnam-style
yeongji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that the song was much better before it became so popular across the world. Before it shot to stardom, the song was just like any addictive Korean songs out there. It has the repetitive lyrics, addictive dance moves, and just plain randomness in the music video. Lovers of Korean music love it for what it is, while non-Korean music lovers love it since it is.. "different". The song is just way too overplayed now and people love talking about it.. but if you realize, those who are yapping about it and singing it are mainly those who are not even into Korean music. Status and photos on Facebook about the song will still appear on my newsfeed these days and really.. it is kind of irritating how people are acting like they know everything about Korean music these days just based on one song. Like if you cannot even name 10 of the current idol groups or the old ones (from the H.O.T, G.O.D, Shinhwa, etc) days, you really cannot say you are a fan of Korean music at all.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd, lol... how's the eighth grade treating you.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
andrewchon wrote:
One thing to consider is that PSY's video is the record holder for 'likes' at over 5 mil. Previous record was sub-0.5 mil. Try explaining that with your F5 bot.

Furthermore. . .

Bieber's Baby hit #1 in two countries.

Psy's Gangnam Style hit #1 in over 30 countries.

Yet the retards and nutjobs on Dave's cannot accept that Psy beat Bieber legitimately, so it must be some sort of Korean netizen conspiracy. Rolling Eyes

None of these so called "retards" or "nutjobs" deny the global popularity of Psy.

Can you show me one example in this thread where someone denied the fact that like it or not "Gangnam Style" had become a global phenomenon?

You can't! So stop making arguments where there was no argument in the first places.

Some posters here simply have claimed that some of the Youtube views were inflated. That's all.

How much were they inflated? Nobody knows because up to this point nobody has been able to find any reliable statistics as to how many of the views came from Korea.

But if you don't think some of the same Korean netizens who
-voted for Jeju to become one of the 7 wonders of the world
-or Rain as Time's most influential person
-or shut down the FIFA website after a Korean loss
also F5'd Psy's Youtube video then your delusional.

Hell even with the nationalist Korean netizen vote, Psy's song may still be #1 in the world. Who knows?

But given the history in South Korea of a particular group of Korean netizens unifying to alter a global popularity vote (see Rain and Jeju) it's not a reach to simply make the suggestion that Psy's own Youtube number may have been inflated.

Last edited by everything-is-everything on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:

I'm going to play devils advocate here. What type of music are you into?
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

I'm going to play devils advocate here. What type of music are you into?

A lot of stuff. I listen to a lot of classical music, old folk music, a ton of jazz mostly big band and bop, 50s-70s rock and roll, a ton of old doo wop and soul music, some disco, house, electronic, trance, 80s metal, some 90s metal, golden age hip hop, 90s hip hop, certain french musicians, flamenco guitar, a lot of jazz guitar (I play that myself), and K pop, of course.

Editing for any potential sense of humor misinterpretation... I do not listen to k pop...

Last edited by John Stamos jr. on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
gforce645

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was the current trend at the time but in 2002, Psy jumped on the anti US bandwagon and took the reigns it seemed. He penned a song about killing US soldiers and their families. Granted it was just any soldiers, it was the ones who were torturing prisoners in Iraq but that doesnt justify the song. The link has the translated lyrics and some further details.

http://www.giantrobot.com/news/psys-anti-american-past/
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:
Maybe it was the current trend at the time but in 2002, Psy jumped on the anti US bandwagon and took the reigns it seemed. He penned a song about killing US soldiers and their families. Granted it was just any soldiers, it was the ones who were torturing prisoners in Iraq but that doesnt justify the song. The link has the translated lyrics and some further details.

http://www.giantrobot.com/news/psys-anti-american-past/

Are you saying you knew about this song back before reading the article? Seems like that was just one of the verses, I'd say his anger stemmed from the US tank incident back in 2002.

Either way, nobody is going to care, because his 15 minutes are almost up.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeongji wrote:
Like if you cannot even name 10 of the current idol groups or the old ones (from the H.O.T, G.O.D, Shinhwa, etc) days, you really cannot say you are a fan of Korean music at all.

Then I guess I'm proud to say that I'm not a fan of Korean music at all.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those people who say South Korea is skewing the numbers:
Quote:
But since YouTube can be accessed from all over the world, wouldn't Asia be responsible for a significant chunk of the $870,000? The countries with the second and third-highest views of the video are Thailand and South Korea.
"Ads rates vary depending on which country the video is played. Developed countries have higher ad rates and developing countries lower," said Brian Suh, head of YouTube Partnership in Seoul.
And the country with the most views of "Gangnam Style?" The United States.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/cashing-gangnam-styles-youtube-fame-103746853--finance.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: