Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IS IT AN F-2 VISA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2 holder here.
The advice before is sound, just don't forget to mention to any prospective Korean employer the saving they make not sending you on a visa run... just to rub it in.

Squiddly diddly
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-2 visa works like this:

It saves you from having to make trips to Japan everytime you want to change your visa type.

If you aren't working, the F2 legally allows you to stay in the country, yet you have to continue renewing the F2 visa.

IF you take a teaching job, you bring a special paper to immigration, plus a few other papers, like a copy of the Korean family register, and what they essentially do is add on E-2 to your F2 visa, which means they registered you as working at a specific place. If you quit or get fired, again you don't leave the country, you go back to immigration and get your F2 restored.

The part I am unsure of is if you can engage in another E2 if you get fired, as it never happened to me or anyone I know of.

Another thing is the F2 gets renewed regardless of E2 or whatever else you have, and it's renewed every year. So if you do take an E2, it could end up costing you a lot in visa costs, but still cheaper than a run to Japan.
Kalhoun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiberious aka Sparkles wrote:
And, after five years, I can become a Korean citizen.
(smiles wryly)

No, that is incorrect. After 5 years with an F-2-1, you can become a Denizen- permanent residency. Same with me.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother reading the replies...I hope this helps, and sorry if everything has been explained.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4842&highlight=ryst

Shoosh,

Ryst
taejonguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: we own property Reply with quote

All of this is true even without an F-2 Visa...I have an E-2, have been married for 4 years and have all the same rights and privledges as those listed below. I work in a company and have just be too lazy to change my Visa status as there has been no need. My job has slowly been evolving away from teaching however and it looks like it will be totally eliminated with a transfer to the Overseas Projects Dept next month...So, I guess it means a new Visa will be in order. Time to change! I hope the Immigration guys here in Daejeon have a clue... Rolling Eyes

By the way, my tax refund was over W500,000 last year.

bellum99 wrote:
Things like healthcare and credit cards are easier. I have credit cards in korea and they are easy to get and my healthcare in under my wife's name and i pay it all, of course ( this is cheaper and tax deductable). I pay less tax than other western workers due to having deductions(more people in the family).
I can get money back because property taxes, credit card bills(tricky), car insurance, healthcare and a myriad of other things allow me to pay lower income tax and get some back at the end of the year.
The F2-1 visa makes all of this easier for me. I can own property and it is not that difficult and after 5 years i will have permanent residence ( F5 visa) and then life will be much, much easier.
If you can, then get the F2-1 visa because it is better to get it earlier than later.
bourquetheman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: One little thing... Reply with quote

One of my co-workers who worked with me at my university was on an F2-1 but he had to change it when he signed back with the university (he had taken a year off to study) because he was told that F2-1 is only good for PART TIME work, so a full time contract would not be valid, so he switched back to simply an E2. I don' t know if this is some "weird case" but I'll check into this again just to be sure.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: One little thing... Reply with quote

bourquetheman wrote:
One of my co-workers who worked with me at my university was on an F2-1 but he had to change it when he signed back with the university (he had taken a year off to study) because he was told that F2-1 is only good for PART TIME work, so a full time contract would not be valid, so he switched back to simply an E2. I don' t know if this is some "weird case" but I'll check into this again just to be sure.

BULLSHET!

You know, I shouldn't be surprised by such F^%$ BS, but I am.

FYI - I worked FULL time at a uni. with my F-2....no worries.

Schmucks...don't listen to them. (they be de schmucks, not you lots...)

Shoosh,

Ryst
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: One little thing... Reply with quote

bourquetheman wrote:

Sounds like the boss didn't like the employee having the relative freedom the F-2-1 gives you in work situations with regards to not being reliant on your boss for sponsorship...

F-2-1 has absolutely nothing to do with teaching work, you need the E-2 to teach legally. You shouldn't have to give up or change from F-2 status.
Joseph Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to come back to Korea. My Korean wife is here in the states with me. I had an F-2 visa my last 6 or 7 months in Korea. Can I get an F-2 while here in the states. I wonder if it will be quicker to get an F-2 here, and wait till I come to Korea then get my E-2. I will come in August, and my wife will come in September.
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Fitzgerald wrote:
I am getting ready to come back to Korea. My Korean wife is here in the states with me. I had an F-2 visa my last 6 or 7 months in Korea. Can I get an F-2 while here in the states. I wonder if it will be quicker to get an F-2 here, and wait till I come to Korea then get my E-2. I will come in August, and my wife will come in September.

It is MUCH easier to get the F2 after your arrival in Korea.

Sparkles*_*
Joseph Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't, my wife will be in the states another month after I go back to Korea. How do I get my F2 while still in the states?
prosodic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a stupid question. Have you called the nearest Korean consulate and asked them?
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a first time applicant, since being married, you will have to get an F-2-1 visa. Run a search for related threads as there are a lot out there that will answer your questions accurately.

By the way, with an f-2 visa, you will still be required to get a work permit added to the visa to allow you to work. The requirements for a work visa are the same as an E-2 visa, meaning your employer will have to go to the immigration office to re-apply with you. I am also not sure that getting an F-2 will save you from the E-2 slavery that you are in now. I think the most major difference for you between the two visas right now is the convenience vs. annoyance factor involved in them. Do you really want to bother your director with reapplying for a visa when he/she is already trying to slate you?

In the end, if you have problems with your director, E-2 or F-2, you have the same recourse to use against your director via the Labour Board which will help you to get any remuneration owed to you in your contract.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: