Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lee Bo Young talking club Cheonan? Anyone heard of them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izzygraze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Lee Bo Young talking club Cheonan? Anyone heard of them? Reply with quote

Hey I was contacted by Lee bo Young talking club in Cheonan and will have an interview shortly. I want to do as much research on them as possible.

Anyone heard of them or worked for them? I think the full name might be "lee bo young(ee bo-yeong), shin bang dong, talking club" in Cheonan. I found one thread on them but all it said was that all EBY schools are bad.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out this website first if I were you.

http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/

Remember that just because 1 person has a bad experience doesn't mean

the school is bad, but if 2,3 or more are saying the same things....

Well, I think you know what I mean.
Izzygraze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: EBY Reply with quote

I found that too. And exactly they're the only person that I can find that has said anything about that school. I'm wondering if someone else can weigh in. Maybe there's more than one campus or maybe the director doesn't work there anymore. Tough to tell. Maybe what they said is all true and it's the same school or maybe they just got fired and decided to make up a bunch of lies.
YTMND

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe what they said is all true and it's the same school or maybe they just got fired and decided to make up a bunch of lies.

Even if what they said was true, they didn't do some things that they should have done.

The solution seems like a good reason not to blacklist the school. If it doesn't work out, which is possible with any school, get your D10 and move on.

I'd say 10 months is a good run. If you are wise you would check your pension well before then, and what I don't get is when a school owner tells you they are changing to a new owner all kinds of bells and whistles should go off.

1. Who is taking over? You don't just pack up and leave, a new owner has to come in.

2. The apartment money would already be paid. So, I don't think the hagwon owner needed to liquidate his assets. The landlord to my understanding keeps the money until the end. Taking it out early is just his way to hide his assets, not liquidate them. Actually, I don't think the lease ended 1 month prior to the firing. He probably planned this well in advance.

The name change is no surprise, someone else in the clique puts the school under their name and the money is hidden.

3. The part about offering the school to the teachers to own is ridiculous. You can't do that on an E2.

This is obviously centered on the previous owner. A new owner should be running things and if the dates are indicative of the present, then they have some money to invest. You might find this is a good job for a year. Then see if the numbers go down. If they do, it might be a repeat. Don't sign a second contract with them then.

The good news is that there won't be parents complaining about the teachers. This school may not have learned that tactic, to hire new teachers just to get parents to re-sign up with their school.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like they say, there are 3 sides to every story. The teacher's, the school's

and the real truth somewhere in the middle.

No doubt there were mistakes made on both sides and blame to be shared,

but even if what the former teacher posted is only half true,

I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a job like that unless I had more

to go on. Can't they give you an email address of a more recent teacher?
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't they give you an email address of a more recent teacher?

There are 2 schools listed for Cheonan. I think you were looking at the other one which is dated 2003. The E Bo Young one has references to 2011 and 2012. It's still off because of the following sentence, "We arrived in South Korea October 17, 2012, started working the next day, but our contract start date was written as November 2, 2012�"

I am guessing they meant to type November 2, 2011. Regardless if it is 2012, 2011, or 2001, there is a new owner now or no complaints since then.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could speculate all day long, that solves nothing.

Need more info on this place or no deal.
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't speak for that location, I worked for 2 1/2 years at a Lee Bo Young in Pohang. It's a franchise school that has it's own books and pre-made curriculum. It was very big for awhile as the woman who founded it was somewhat famous for whatever system she devised for learning English. However, the director at the hagwon I worked at said she was considering dropping the franchise because it was falling out of favor. The curriculum focuses on phonics up to elementary school students. They have books for higher levels but Lee Bo Young is seen as more for the elementary school students and parents tend to pull their kids once they reach middle school. The books themselves are a bit dry but fairly standard as far as textbooks go.

Always ask to speak to the teacher who is leaving or who just recently left. They have the least incentive to lie. If the school drags their feet or says they don't have that info, just reject it. It's a bit tougher finding a good job these days but it's better to take the time then spend a year at a miserable location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: