Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South African on a passport entrance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippermanjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: South African on a passport entrance Reply with quote

Could someone give me advice on what to do here, I'm currently working in the Philippines and have met a Korean woman which I've been dating for almost a year. Things have become quite serious and now she has to return to Korea to pursue her career, she really wants me to go with her and work there and so do I. I do have a Bachelors degree but I know that a first time applicant for an E-2 VISA need to apply in his/her home country. It would be impossible for me to do this so I would like to find out what my chances are of finding work illegally in Daegu are. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Otherside

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Africans get 30 days visa-free entrance. That's not really enough to do anything meaningful. I've heard of Canadians (who get 6 months on their arrival visas) who work illegally, and every 5-6 months go abroad for a week and restart their visas. Doubt you'd be able to do that with 30 days.

My advice would be to to go back home, get all your documents (apostilled degree, apostilled CRC etc), and come in legit. Unless you're hiding something, this is the only way that will work.

The other option is to get married.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: South African on a passport entrance Reply with quote

Skippermanjay wrote:
Could someone give me advice on what to do here, I'm currently working in the Philippines and have met a Korean woman which I've been dating for almost a year. Things have become quite serious and now she has to return to Korea to pursue her career, she really wants me to go with her and work there and so do I. I do have a Bachelors degree but I know that a first time applicant for an E-2 VISA need to apply in his/her home country. It would be impossible for me to do this so I would like to find out what my chances are of finding work illegally in Daegu are. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You probably do not need to return home for a visa (a simple visa run to Japan is possible unless you have had issues with immigration) however you do need the necessary documentation from home (copy of your degree with an apositlle, national police check with an apostille, possibly university sealed transcripts).

Your other option would be to apply for a 90-day tourist visa from the embassy in Manila and get busy on getting your documentation in order, get a legitimate job when you have your documentation and do a visa run to obtain your E2.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get away with a visa run every 30 days and stay under the radar for very long.

Skippermanjay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you ttompatz, if you never sent this i would have never checked on the updates of applying more thoroughly. I will do exactly that, in fact I might have an academy willing to sponsor the whole ordeal.
One more question how reliable are academy's when it comes to a timely application, should I go on a passport entry or to be safe go apply for a tourist visa?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also find a job, get an E2 from the Embassy in Manila and do things on the up and up and save yourself the expenses later.

I wouldn't fly on speculation in the hopes of finding a job and getting the paperwork all done in 30 days or less.

You would also need to show onward passage before they let you on the flight from MNL to ICN.

Get a proper 90-day visa or an E2.

slasher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the general rule is that you can apply for a visa in your country of RESIDENCE, not necessarily your passport country.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the illegal job market is all that big in Korea anymore. You'll get $10 an hour and reported by someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: