Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taco Dinner Kits spotted at Costco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen avacados in the Costco produce section. They were 4 for 12,000 won.
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
What about sour cream? Did you see any available at Costco? I quite fancy making some tacos, but would want sour cream and possibly guacamole.

They definitely have avocados, but haven't ever checked for sour cream.

Go here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/Products/Old-El-Paso/ for hundreds of ways to make tacos, with and without ground beef. As for the price, a six-pack of kits is $17.70 at amazon.com

Personally, I've always been a burrito man.
radcon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pre-formed hard taco shells found in "kits" are the lamest and white trashiest way to make tacos imo.
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Those pre-formed hard taco shells found in "kits" are the lamest and white trashiest way to make tacos imo.

I agree, but since the OP was so enthusiastic about them, I didn't want to rain on her parade.
smithy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
What about sour cream? Did you see any available at Costco? I quite fancy making some tacos, but would want sour cream and possibly guacamole.

Yeah, they always have sour cream. You have to buy a bucket of it that no sane person would ever use in time before it goes bad so I usually find somebody to split it with. It is 6000-8000.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
radcon wrote:

I agree, but since the OP was so enthusiastic about them, I didn't want to rain on her parade.

We don't all live in Itaewon and can eat at Taco Bell every day. Some of us make tacos at home. How do you make tacos at home in Korea?
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
atwood wrote:
radcon wrote:

We don't all live in Itaewon and can eat at Taco Bell every day. Some of us make tacos at home. How do you make tacos at home in Korea?

I don't and I don't go to Taco Bell. Plus, as I stated earlier, I much prefer burritos to tacos.
adzee1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
atwood wrote:
radcon wrote:

You should consider yourself lucky you cant go to Taco bell everyday!! I lived in Mexico for 3 years and my wife is Mexican and i cannot really go without decent tacos. The ones I have had in this country have been a bit lame and paying 4000 won for a lettuce taco at Fuzel Navel doesnt really appeal. So here is how I make real tacos....

Go to Emart, Homeplus or any other large supermarket and buy some tortillas, meat, onions, hot chillis and tomatoes.
To make the salsa just put the chilli, tomato, 2 cloves of garlic and a bit of onion in a pan with a decent amount of salt ( no oil ).
Cook until all the ingredients are charred and slightly brown on the outside, blend and then add the toasted salt from the pan to suit your taste.

Then cook some meat, cut it up and put it in the tortilla with the salsa and some finely diced onion and you have a taco which will taste a thousand time better than Taco Bell, and is still quite cheap.

Regarding meat I tend to go for steak or pork but you can use any type of meat. In the past few weeks I bought some lamb from the Asia Mart and used that and i also bought a roast duck from Emart and used that to make duck tacos.
You can obviously add other things too as you please such as cheese, mushrooms, cooked onions, avacado. If you want the harder style shell then you can simply fry the taco on each side for a few minutes once you have put the meat in.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make tacos at home. I order or go to Costco for flour tortillas (they have large and smaller sizes.)

I use spices and make my own blend. You only have to invest once and you're set for a long time. If lazy, I order the mixed packets or buy a couple whenever I'm in Itaewon. I usually just mix my own, though.

Cheese and veggies are available nearly everywhere with supermarkets.

As for the beans, I order or buy dried pinto beans, or, when really lazy, I just use canned Kidney beans.

I usually just buy salsa, but that's because I prefer roasted salsa. I've made it a few times, but it's very time consuming, considering the size of my oven.

Meat's easy, I guess, but I make veggie tacos using refried beans.

Making tacos is extremely easy. I'm glad that you found the kits, but you can make superior stuff at home with not too much extra work.
adzee1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I make tacos at home. I order or go to Costco for flour tortillas (they have large and smaller sizes.)

I use spices and make my own blend. You only have to invest once and you're set for a long time. If lazy, I order the mixed packets or buy a couple whenever I'm in Itaewon. I usually just mix my own, though.

Cheese and veggies are available nearly everywhere with supermarkets.

As for the beans, I order or buy dried pinto beans, or, when really lazy, I just use canned Kidney beans.

I usually just buy salsa, but that's because I prefer roasted salsa. I've made it a few times, but it's very time consuming, considering the size of my oven.

Meat's easy, I guess, but I make veggie tacos using refried beans.

Making tacos is extremely easy. I'm glad that you found the kits, but you can make superior stuff at home with not too much extra work.

I agree with most of what you said but you can make a authentic, delicious Mexican style salsa in less than 10 minutes and without any oven at all.

Just stick all the ingredients in a dry pan with salt and cook until slightly burnt and black on the outside. Put in a blender or even better use a mortar & pestle and your away.

You get the same flavour you would get from roasting it and as most people in Mexico dont use or have ovens this is the traditional way of doing it.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want the harder style shell then you can simply fry the taco on each side for a few minutes once you have put the meat in

You're talking about quesadillas, not tacos.
adzee1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No im not actually.. ever heard of a taco dorado ? or a taco de barbacoa ?

Both have a harder shell which has been fried, a quesadilla has cheese, tacos de barbacoa and tacos dorados do not.

Here is a definition just so you can be sure:

"Tacos dorados (fried tacos, literally, "golden tacos") called flautas ("flute", because of the shape), or taquitos, for which the tortillas are filled with pre-cooked shredded chicken, beef or barbacoa, rolled into an elongated cylinder and deep-fried until crisp."

Thanks !
byrddogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a hard shell taco, just do as mentioned before and lightly fry some small flour or corn tortillas and then hang them folded-like on a rack (a toaster oven rack works fine for this) immediately afterwards. Let sit briefly, and voila.

For salsa, yeah, fresh is the way to go. I make mine more pico de gallo style, so no cooking or salt involved. Thank goodness cilantro is plentiful where I am. Very Happy
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know about the salsa. Still, we go through so much of it that it makes sense just to buy the stuff from Costco. Embarassed

Also, frozen corn tortillas are available online or in Itaewon. Just fry them, as other posters suggested.

I prefer soft wheat tortillas for tacos, though.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else from N.A. found the taco kits from Costco taste/smell different from what they're used to? I have taco seasoning from Canada, which I stocked up on last Christmas. Since I don't have taco shells or tortillas, I usually cook the beef and use it to make nachos.

The taco kits at Costco are manufactured in the UK. My brother picked one up for me recently, and I made some this week. As soon as I added the seasoning, I noticed it didn't smell the same. Honestly, as far as the smell and taste go, it reminded me of curry/Indian food. That might sound odd, but it wasn't at all like the stuff I'm used to.

Chalk this one up to first world problems, but I'm just curious to know if any other Canadians or Americans have noticed the same thing.

Note: the kits from the UK and the seasoning packs I have from Canada are the same brand - Old El Paso.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: