Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taco Dinner Kits spotted at Costco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiknkorea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashcard_Queen wrote:
Has anyone else from N.A. found the taco kits from Costco taste/smell different from what they're used to? I have taco seasoning from Canada, which I stocked up on last Christmas. Since I don't have taco shells or tortillas, I usually cook the beef and use it to make nachos.

The taco kits at Costco are manufactured in the UK. My brother picked one up for me recently, and I made some this week. As soon as I added the seasoning, I noticed it didn't smell the same. Honestly, as far as the smell and taste go, it reminded me of curry/Indian food. That might sound odd, but it wasn't at all like the stuff I'm used to.

Chalk this one up to first world problems, but I'm just curious to know if any other Canadians or Americans have noticed the same thing.

Note: the kits from the UK and the seasoning packs I have from Canada are the same brand - Old El Paso.

It's definitely different from the Old El Paso seasoning from the US.
I brought a can of it back, but hadn't used it since I was using another brand.
The Costco kits are made in Spain and I noticed the curry-like smell and taste too.

So I did a side by side sample and the US one has more of a chili powder/peppery taste to it as opposed to the curry (and others that I can't make out, I'm no chef!) from the Costco one.
The texture of the US one is also coarser and not as powdery.

Think I'll just stick with the US seasoning and save the packets for a rainy day or a different recipe.
I'll still grab the kits here for the shells and salsa though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: