Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Places to Stay in Sokcho

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Places to Stay in Sokcho Reply with quote

I'm heading to Sokcho/Seoraksan for one night this weekend as a last-minute thing. The only hostel that keeps coming upon my internet searches is The House but it's full. There is a room available at a hotel in the park but I'd prefer to be in town.

Are there love motels and the like around the bus station to just walk in and get a room? Any other recommendations that I could book in advance?

Cheers
WhileAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did recently:
The Express bus terminal is near the Homeplus, near the Sokcho beach. (I think there is only one Homeplus. This is rather far from the Intercity bus terminal, which is near the house.
From the Homeplus, walk toward the beach. Just before you get to the beach, a few Ajumas will approach you to rent a condo in one of the several condos in that area. Since it is a weekend, the prices may be high on the condos. Just before the beach, if you go left (north of the pier), then there are several Korean Min-baks.
I went during the week, so really not sure if those are safe suggestions for a weekend. The important points are that the Intercity and Express bus terminals are rather far apart, and that near the Express terminal is a beach area with lots of accommodation.

Edit - Sorry, I meant E-mart, not Homeplus

Last edited by WhileAway on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Lazio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are dozens of motels pretty much right next to each other near the E-mart/Express Bus terminal. 8-10 minute walk to the West.
smithy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I don't actually know which terminal I'll be arriving at, though. I'm coming from Bucheon Terminal - any ideas?
lemak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithy wrote:

I don't actually know which terminal I'll be arriving at, though. I'm coming from Bucheon Terminal - any ideas?

I thought generally the Sokcho Express Terminal just serviced buses from Dong Seoul, Gangnam, Suwon and possibly Incheon Airport. Although possibly my info is outdated.

From the lesser bus stations like Bucheon I'd assume you're headed for the Intercity Terminal.
smithy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
smithy wrote:

I thought generally the Sokcho Express Terminal just serviced buses from Dong Seoul, Gangnam, Suwon and possibly Incheon Airport. Although possibly my info is outdated.

From the lesser bus stations like Bucheon I'd assume you're headed for the Intercity Terminal.

Yeah it looks like you're right. Bucheon is an InterCity terminal so I'll presumably arrive at the Sokcho InterCity terminal. Does this mean I should head to the express terminal area for accommodation? Is that area better for restaurants and beach access as well?
lemak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithy wrote:
lemak wrote:
smithy wrote:

Yeah it looks like you're right. Bucheon is an InterCity terminal so I'll presumably arrive at the Sokcho InterCity terminal. Does this mean I should head to the express terminal area for accommodation? Is that area better for restaurants and beach access as well?

If you can google up a map....the Intercity terminal is more or less downtown....pretty much in the thick of things....but a bit of a hike from the beach. The Express Terminal is right next to Sokcho beach, but a bit isolated. You can always catch a bus downtown (takes around 5 mins) or walk....(30 mins)...both terminals have cheap hotels, minbak etc. in the vicinity. Although it's peak season for Soraksan now, and Chuseok is impending, so I'm not sure about how full they'll be or if the prices will be bumped.
If it's only for one night I'd likely just stay nearest to the intercity terminal. The same bus that services Soraksan should run past there anyhow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: