Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeing Stars in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nakron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Seeing Stars in Korea Reply with quote

Hi all, it's getting close to Chuseok, and I've been doing research on where to go... so I thought I would ask here if anyone has any suggestions.

You see, I have a very specific requirement which is rather difficult to satisfy, it seems, since everyone else is concerned about other criteria. It doesn't help that this is my first time in Korea, and I haven't even been here for a full year. So I don't know the locations around very well.

I have in mind a 3-4 day trip, somewhere between Sept 29th and Oct 3rd. During this vacation, there's only one thing I want to do. One little thing. And that thing is:

I want to see the stars.

Like, seriously, that's all. I don't honestly care about the rest of it. I'm game to do pretty much anything during the daytime. Of course cheaper is better, and I want to be in a fairly safe location. But I don't particularly care about beaches, and I don't care about swimming, and I may like mountains a heck of a lot but I see enough mountains here in Changwon. If there's lovely nature to see during the day, then all the better, but honestly all I really want is to get a good look at the nighttime stars in a relatively quiet and light-free location.

Does anybody know anywhere like this? Preferably in Korea? Of course, if there's another location somewhere nearby, I'd be willing to travel there, too. Anywhere under 1 million won for a flight trip is a-ok with me. In researching this I've found a ton of little islands all around here, but of course all anyone typically cares about on the islands is beaches, so it's impossible to find reviews on locations that tell me what I want to know. I would hate to go somewhere for star viewing and then end up on a crowded beach with streetlights everywhere.

Anyway, as I was saying, any assistance would be appreciated. Smile
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down here you can get a pretty clear sky if you ride out of town for half an hour. How about Namhae? That's not too far from Changwon, if you can figure out how to get there. Maybe Jiri-san would be another good place
asdfghjkl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Namhae is pretty nice. There are lots of mountains and areas without a lot of stuff. It's definitely possible to see the stars and be left alone. There's also an "Oktoberfest" at the German village on Tuesday during the week Chuseok with alleged German beer.
nora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find somewhere with no city and go. I was in Gangwon-do last September and you could see loads of stars at night. I don't know south very well, but just east of Gyeonggi, north of Wonju, plenty of stars to be seen.

Also, a few years back I was in Yeosu and just outside of town you could see plenty as well.
shamash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up a bit. I'm missing and craving the stars at the moment as well. I'm a bit broke, what's the cheapest way to get out of Seoul and into somewhere you can see the stars? I live in Gangnam. I'd be fine just going out for the night to see stars for a bit, and then going home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: