Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another E2 - D10 visa question!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gava01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Will a D-10 do me any good? Reply with quote

Just asking.

Finished my 7th year teaching here in Korea Sept. 30.

extended my visa to Oct. 26th.

Going to Japan coming back Oct 29th using my passport for a 3 month tourest visa.

Have some cash and getting 12 million in Nov. from NPS.

Want to try to get another tourest visa for Feb-Mar-Apr. I can show my apartment is paid for.

Then go home for most of May (Chicago) before starting a new job in June.

I understand that I may be refused the second tourest visa so I was wondering if a D10 visa would work for me.

I'm sending off for the CBC tomorrow but will do it again in a couple months to keep it current.

I graduated from the University of Illinois UIUC which must be in the top 200 with an undergraduate degree.

How long is a D10 vsa good for?

Thanks for any info.
ibeattheborg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A D10 is valid for 6 months. If you return to Korea after your E2 has expired as you plan to, then you can't apply for a D10. You should apply before the E2 expires. A D10 is basically a bridge between two E2 visas but there are other ways of getting one as you mentioned. Phone immigration to be sure.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the pension payout then forget the D10.
If you get the D10 then forget the pension payout.

If your current status of of sojourn expires or is canceled then the D10 is not possible.

gava01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

Yea,

In life you make mistakes. I wish I knew this before I got the NPS payout and paid for a 4 day trip to Osaka.

I really hope I can get the second 90 day tourist visa!!!

Thanks

If you like to explore Korea please checkout the group I organize at

www.meetup.com/bucheon
McSalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

gava01 wrote:
Yea,

In life you make mistakes. I wish I knew this before I got the NPS payout and paid for a 4 day trip to Osaka.

I really hope I can get the second 90 day tourist visa!!!

Thanks

If you like to explore Korea please checkout the group I organize at

www.meetup.com/bucheon

I don't think you'll have any problems. I've known people who spent years on tourist visas. The worst that ever happened was the immigration official saw all the stamps and asked, "You aren't teaching English, are you?" to which my friend responded that he ran an online business, and the official stamped his passport.

If anyone has heard any stories of the opposite -- someone being refused admission to the country after a visa run when their three months expired -- I'd be curious to hear it.
jpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also hoping to get a D10, but would also like to cash out on my pension when I leave here at the end of the month.

I'm hearing conflicting stories -- has anyone successfully gotten their pension and switched to a D10? Or has anyone had any experience being denied the pension for the same reason?

Also, when should I apply for the D10 if I'm not supposed to switch until I finish my contract? I'm planning on heading home within a few days after the end of my contract period.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpe wrote:

Also, when should I apply for the D10 if I'm not supposed to switch until I finish my contract? I'm planning on heading home within a few days after the end of my contract period.

Seems like the last day of your contract, or the next day following termination of contract, is the best way to go. I'm in a similar position, and am trying to get information on this.

My contract will finish soon, and I have approximately 6 weeks between ending my current contract and starting my new job with a new employer. I want to go travel and visit family during this time, and it seems like the D10 is the perfect visa for this situation.

But like you, I don't really want to hang around in Korea between jobs, and would like to get out as soon as possible. Immigration keep suggesting D10, but telling me different things about when I can leave. One officer told me that I have to wait to receive the D10 which could take up to 3 weeks. Another told me that I should at least wait for approval, which could take at least one week.

However I've heard that there is a 'certificate of alien registration' that we can complete when initially applying for D10. As we have to hand in our ARC when we apply for D10, we will need some form of ID on us until we receive the actual D10 card. I'm hoping that I can leave and re-enter Korea using this alien registration. Immigration will still need an 'address' for us in Korea, but hopefully we will be able to leave and enter without hassle. I guess it depends on when our sojourn status changes.

Any more information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Tyshine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone applied to a public school position on a D-10?

Its seems like it would be pretty straight forward (no need for new documents), but you never know here.

Also what if I got a D10, go home and come back within 90 days to work at a camp, and then work a PS job?

I assume I wouldn't need new fingerprints and everything else.
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:

However I've heard that there is a 'certificate of alien registration' that we can complete when initially applying for D10. As we have to hand in our ARC when we apply for D10, we will need some form of ID on us until we receive the actual D10 card. I'm hoping that I can leave and re-enter Korea using this alien registration. Immigration will still need an 'address' for us in Korea, but hopefully we will be able to leave and enter without hassle. I guess it depends on when our sojourn status changes.

Any more information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Never got it or done it myself. I did some research on it for someone else. If I am correct the Korean term is "외국인 등록사실증명서" It should cost like 1000won or 2000won. You might have to go to a different desk or room to get. I do not think they give it out in the regular lineup.

If you are lucky you may not need to wait to get your D-10. If you have one of the new ones. I think they will just add the D-10 (via special printer) then and there.

Also consider getting a color scan and print out of front and back of your ARC. Keep it with you when you go through departures.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this blog post which may be useful to some. It seems that the writer was able to leave Korea for 2.5 weeks while on a D10, although they do not specify whether they actually had the physical ARC card on their person, or just used the cheap "certificate of changed status" for this trip.

http://rajnesharma.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/the-d-10-visa/
jpe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told I'd have to wait, and that it would take 7-10 days to process. I was also told I couldn't come in until after my contract is finished, even though I explained I couldn't stay in Korea that long (I think it's even in my contract). Of course it's clearly up to some kind of individual discretion, so maybe my experience is neither here nor there.
ibeattheborg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:
Found this blog post which may be useful to some. It seems that the writer was able to leave Korea for 2.5 weeks while on a D10, although they do not specify whether they actually had the physical ARC card on their person, or just used the cheap "certificate of changed status" for this trip.

This blog post is irrelevant: the blogger applied for the D10 when he/she returned to Korea after a holiday back home. His original ARC expiry date was obviously valid for beyond his return date to Korea. ARC expiry dates usually extend a month beyond your contract end-date and during this time you are free to leave and enter ROK. Check the dates on your ARC.

A D10 will give you an extra 6 months of 'sojourn' in Korea, during which you are free to leave and enter as you wish. The jury is out on the time frame which necessitates a new Criminal Record Check for transfer to a new E2 after an absence from ROK( on a D10). But apparently ( according to a recent thread) it's not needed for a transfer to a new E2 if you've had an E2 not longer than 3 months ago.

As previously stated you cannot get a D10 until you finish your contract. I got a D10 on the day I applied for it. Others have had to wait a few weeks. It may depend on your local immigration office so go down there and ask.
Tyshine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibeattheborg wrote:
tiger fancini wrote:

This blog post is irrelevant: the blogger applied for the D10 when he/she returned to Korea after a holiday back home. His original ARC expiry date was obviously valid for beyond his return date to Korea. ARC expiry dates usually extend a month beyond your contract end-date and during this time you are free to leave and enter ROK. Check the dates on your ARC.

A D10 will give you an extra 6 months of 'sojourn' in Korea, during which you are free to leave and enter as you wish. The jury is out on the time frame which necessitates a new Criminal Record Check for transfer to a new E2 after an absence from ROK( on a D10). But apparently ( according to a recent thread) it's not needed for a transfer to a new E2 if you've had an E2 not longer than 3 months ago.

As previously stated you cannot get a D10 until you finish your contract. I got a D10 on the day I applied for it. Others have had to wait a few weeks. It may depend on your local immigration office so go down there and ask.

Are you saying that if you get a job on a D10 3 months+ after an E2 you would need a new CRC? Then how come the D10 is valid for 6 months, or am I misunderstanding you.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyshine wrote:
ibeattheborg wrote:
tiger fancini wrote:

Are you saying that if you get a job on a D10 3 months+ after an E2 you would need a new CRC? Then how come the D10 is valid for 6 months, or am I misunderstanding you.

You misunderstood.

If you are on a D10 you can transfer back to an E2 without the need for new documents PROVIDED you have not been out of Korea for more than 90 days.

If you are out of Korea for more than 90 days then you need a new CBC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: