Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else watching the US debate today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stilicho25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, I have to disagree with you about the gore vs bush debates. While Bush lost on substance, the time when got all up in bush's face when he was speaking made him look like a madman.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilicho25 wrote:
Patrick, I have to disagree with you about the gore vs bush debates. While Bush lost on substance, the time when got all up in bush's face when he was speaking made him look like a madman.

HA. I'll never forget that and Bush's reaction was actually pretty funny. Speaking of Gore, I read that he suggested Obama lost the debate because he hadn't adjusted to Denver's high elevation. At least he didn't blame ManBearPig.
waynehead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Kepler, that Romney's win was based on a "superficial" understanding of the debates. Unfortunately, that's what a debate is in American politics these days, the complex is avoided at the expense of larger ideas and talking points. Obama's timidity in bringing up Romney's weakest points - that he would've let the auto industry collapse, the 47% comment, his time spent at Bain, his flip flopping on social issues, etc, was what troubled me most. Romney was cordial but aggressive, and there's no reason Obama couldn't politely say something like, "I disagreed with the governor when he wanted to let GM collapse and devastate the American auto industry," and so on.
fosterman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OBAMA was just in shock that MITT was up their lying to the American people. I mean who is this guy MITT, seriously he was coming off more of a Democrat and not a republican, and then back tracking on everything he has been saying for the past 6 months last night, and then again not telling the American people anything about his plan..
he wants to put an End to Big bird, well he needs to put an end to himself because he is the biggest MUPPET out there..
actionjackson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have question for any people in the know, are they allowed to bring notes to the debate? I only ask because while perusing another site I was wondering if someone was trying to create a controversy where there wasn't one.
Kepler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama later joked that he didn't know if he had been debating with the real Mitt Romney:

" 'When I got onto the stage, I met this very spirited fellow who claimed to be Mitt Romney,' he told cheering supporters here. 'But it couldn't have been Mitt Romney, because the real Mitt Romney has been running around the country for the last year promising $5 trillion in tax cuts that favor the wealthy.'

" 'The fellow onstage last night said he didn't know anything about that,' Obama said."
link
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Now swamp, I have to ask, you seem to be a Romney supporter, what is it about his platform-program you feel is vote worthy?

I am really curious here.

I really don't like the guy, to be honest. I view him as the lesser of two evils.

Obama... a liar, a sham, and an empty suit protected by the media who merely delivers prompterized material prepared by focus groups. The "hope and change" theme no longer works here. Blaming Bush no longer works here. Obama has blatantly failed to work with others, as he promised. He has not been transparent, as he promised. He has spent more money in 4 years than Bush did in 8 (with two wars going on, no less). He has not balanced a budget in 3 years, or reduced the debt, as he promised (in fact, he's grown it a great deal more than any president prior). The man has golfed more than any president in recent history, and regularly misses security meetings to do so. He has been campaigning for the past 2+ years when we needed a president. I could go on and on.

Obama = worst presidential failure since Jimmy Carter.

Anyone who looks at the debate last night and tries to argue Obama did well, or gosh forbid won the thing, is unwilling to face the truth.

By the way, may I add that Mia Love is totally hot?
fosterman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:

Obama... a liar, a sham, and an empty suit protected by the media who merely delivers prompterized material prepared by focus groups. The "hope and change" theme no longer works here. Blaming Bush no longer works here. Obama has blatantly failed to work with others, as he promised. He has not been transparent, as he promised. He has spent more money in 4 years than Bush did in 8 (with two wars going on, no less). He has not balanced a budget in 3 years, or reduced the debt, as he promised (in fact, he's grown it a great deal more than any president prior). The man has golfed more than any president in recent history, and regularly misses security meetings to do so. He has been campaigning for the past 2+ years when we needed a president. I could go on and on.

Obama = worst presidential failure since Jimmy Carter.

Anyone who looks at the debate last night and tries to argue Obama did well, or gosh forbid won the thing, is unwilling to face the truth.

all the debt you speak of, is actually Bushes debts coming in. you know it's like the white guy sitting at the restaurant table order all expensive wine and steaks and then walks out without paying, and then the black guy sits down the restaurant owner gives him the tab! huh yeah...the white guy said you were gonna pay for this!

planing golf?? as president you are also allowed days off. it comes with the job. bush went back to Crawford and went fishing PLENTY! even after he invaded Iraq. ohh but then again bush was the guy who just sat there for 10 minutes when America was under attack.. but republicans forgive him for that don't they? if that was OBAMA republicans would be looking to lynch him.

Quote:
He has not been transparent, as he promised. He has spent more money in 4 years than Bush did in 8 (with two wars going on, no less). He has not balanced a budget in 3 years, or reduced the debt, as he promised

transparent?? you think MITT is going to tell you anything? he wont even show his taxes, he doesn't even present a plan to the american people.and you think he will be transparent? yeah he will be alright, you will see right through him..
reduced the debt? how the hell do you reduce the debt with the greatest depression in the last 70 years? how do you reduce the budget when He walked into Trillions of dollars of debt because Bush paid for everything on a credit card and said, come and collect when I am out of office!
come on man. you really think MC CAIN and PALIN would saved the country? LOL Obama is doing pretty damn well for someone who was given a run down white house.
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: lost Reply with quote

Paul Ryan at one time seemed to be a decent politician to me. I thought maybe here was a guy who would be able to cut the deficit in a responsible way.

However!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQ-j2sOA7c

The surfacing of the above video means Romney will lose this election for sure. Those comments were nothing short of despicable. To be clear he completely wrote off half Americans as lazy, entitled bums. This is how he talks about Americans to the boys with big money.
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: lost Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
Paul Ryan at one time seemed to be a decent politician to me. I thought maybe here was a guy who would be able to cut the deficit in a responsible way.

However!!!!!

The surfacing of the above video means Romney will lose this election for sure. Those comments were nothing short of despicable. To be clear he completely wrote off half Americans as lazy, entitled bums. This is how he talks about Americans to the boys with big money.

But Obama didnt even mention that speech at the debate. Or Bain Capital, Or tax returns.
fosterman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MITT ROMNEY STYLE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDaA4WKoYEA

hahahahaha funny..

Obama style!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gapBh_yqk&feature=relmfu
Kepler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: lost Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:

However!!!!!

He recently admitted that his 47% claim was "completely wrong."

" 'Clearly in a campaign with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question and answer sessions, now and then you're gonna say something that doesn't come out right,' Romney said in an interview Wednesday night with Fox News' Sean Hannity. 'In this case I said something that's just completely wrong.' "
news.yahoo.com
fosterman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: lost Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
creeper1 wrote:

However!!!!!

He recently admitted that his 47% claim was "completely wrong."

" 'Clearly in a campaign with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question and answer sessions, now and then you're gonna say something that doesn't come out right,' Romney said in an interview Wednesday night with Fox News' Sean Hannity. 'In this case I said something that's just completely wrong.' "
news.yahoo.com

and we should just believe him because he wants votes?! Naaaaa
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp,

I will say that for all of Obama's faults (and he has many) he is still better for the US than Romney and his retarded policies (just my opinion).

Obama got the raw deal mid-mandate when he lost some valuable seats in the Senate and House to the Republicans,. He also had to deal with the retarded crap raised by Trump and the moronic "birthers".

Romney should worry you for the simple fact that his positions on foreign policy are worse than Bush (that is saying a heck of a lot) and his idea of a strong economy for americans is letting private industry regulate itself (yeah that always works).
actionjackson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting look at traditional vs. social media.

Quote:
This'll be brief, but it's interesting to me, and...well, this is where I write about stuff that's interesting to me.

Today, in the digesting of the first Presidential debate, we are confronted with the collision of two nearly independent media realms: traditional broadcast, and the newly-risen social media, which have orders of magnitude more penetration, sophistication, and response speed than they did in 2008. And what we're hearing from those two media realms is, for perhaps the first time ever, sharply divergent in relation to the same single event.

Traditional broadcast media: "Romney won!!!!!"

Social media: "Romney lied like a rug on every major topic he addressed, and here's documentation."

Now, don't get me wrong: Romney swung for the rafters because he had to, Obama played it cautious because he could�but too cautiously, in the end� and so the "optics", as pols and pundits like to say, were clearly in Romney's favor. This, too, was noted in the record-breaking avalanche of tweets, liveblog streams and Facebook posts that tracked the debate in real time and continued after it.

But let's face it: the traditional broadcast media has turned strictly into entertainment, and it needs a competitive horse race. So it was nearly impossible for Romney to lose this debate in their eyes, given how badly they needed him to win it.

What is interesting to me is that the sense I am getting of the emerging gestalt of the debate�the narrative understanding by the mainstream public�is a merging of these two story lines.

In other words: "Mitt Romney won by lying."

So while Romney's team feels momentarily invigorated, and the likes of CNN and ABC News happily chatter about a "game changer", what is percolating into voters' consciousness is a validation of Obama's core messages: Romney is untrustworthy. He'll say anything. He's Machiavellian, just as he was in business. You'll never really know what he stands for. You can't trust him can't trust him can't trust him can't trust him.

It takes awhile for fact-checking to catch up to felt sense. In some ways it never does. But what Romney gave Team Obama last night was a bonanza of tailor-made "after" clips for devastating "before, he said this, but now he says this" spots. Instead of having to reach back to dusty campaign footage no one cares about, now they have Mitt Romney lying his ass off in front of 67 million people...yesterday.

Meanwhile, his "win" doesn't appear to have moved the needle at all...except among those who were supposed to be his base. And he still has nearly no possible roadmap to 270 electoral votes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: