Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else watching the US debate today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T-J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
Mitt's entire debate strategy: What he just said, but from a white guy.

You know when you quote someone, you should really give credit to the person you are quoting.

https://twitter.com/billmaher
fosterman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
fosterman wrote:

You know when you quote someone, you should really give credit to the person you are quoting.

ohh ok, I will remember that.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
T-J wrote:
fosterman wrote:

ohh ok, I will remember that.

I liked this one
Los Angeles Times wrote:
Monday's presidential debate, the third and last between President Obama and Gov. Mitt Romney, featured a forceful and articulate defense of Obama's foreign policy. That was no surprise. What was surprising was that it came from Romney.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:

maybe from the right wing you need a man who stands there are acts rude and condescending with a smirk across this face to come across presidential!
but frankly I would be looking for a man who was calm, collective, respectful and of viscous consistency! and that man is president Barrack Obama the leader of the democratic party.

Is this a joke? Obama uses his pre-loaded line about horses and boyonets and then goes on to "inform" Romney that "we now have ships that go underwater" and so on. What exactly did Romney say that was as rude and condescending as that? Really, I don't get the Obama supporters. This guy either doesn't prepare for a debate, or he prepares for one by loading up his gun with sophomoric "zingers." And I wanted to like Obama because I don't have a good feeling about Romney, either, but Obama is making it hard for me to like or respect him and his loyal followers just seem entranced. They go around high-fiving each other about "horses and bayonets" and jumping on "binders full of women.' Do these people realize this presidential election is for the presidency of the US, not junior high?
Leon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flakfizer wrote:
fosterman wrote:

maybe from the right wing you need a man who stands there are acts rude and condescending with a smirk across this face to come across presidential!
but frankly I would be looking for a man who was calm, collective, respectful and of viscous consistency! and that man is president Barrack Obama the leader of the democratic party.

Is this a joke? Obama uses his pre-loaded line about horses and boyonets and then goes on to "inform" Romney that "we now have ships that go underwater" and so on. What exactly did Romney say that was as rude and condescending as that? Really, I don't get the Obama supporters. This guy either doesn't prepare for a debate, or he prepares for one by loading up his gun with sophomoric "zingers." And I wanted to like Obama because I don't have a good feeling about Romney, either, but Obama is making it hard for me to like or respect him and his loyal followers just seem entranced. They go around high-fiving each other about "horses and bayonets" and jumping on "binders full of women.' Do these people realize this presidential election is for the presidency of the US, not junior high?

I thought the horse and bayonet line was good, because it easily showed how stupid the Romney bit about having more boats truly is, but did so in a way that everyone could understand without going into technical details about improved capabilities of modern boats. Treating stupid suggestions like they're legitimate makes them seem more serious than they really are.
Kepler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to technological advances, the US Navy is more powerful than it was in 1916 despite having fewer ships. People should have serious concerns about voting for a guy that wants to increase military spending by trillions but seems so out of touch with modern military realities.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
actionjackson wrote:

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Obama has no business experience,

I'm generally curious about what this point has to do with anything? Seriously, I would really like someone to try and explain this point to me. I thought businesses were all about the bottom dollar, and maximizing profits?

How many businesses would survive without a budget for 3 years?

How many businesses would survive spending so much without taking anything in?

We're in a situation where we are 16 TRILLION dollars in debt. We're truly heading toward Greece. Tough decisions need to be made. Instead of talking about that, we're talking about binders full of women.

Obama is a spender. He doesn't know how to work with people who disagree to even pass a budget (he has not passed one in three years).

Romney knows what it takes to handle the money, and that is what needs to be done.

How can you honestly sit there and wonder whether or not business experience makes a difference when our economy is where it is now??

Except a COUNTRY is not a BUSINESS but why worry about such little details.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
actionjackson wrote:

Swampfox10mm wrote:

I'm generally curious about what this point has to do with anything? Seriously, I would really like someone to try and explain this point to me. I thought businesses were all about the bottom dollar, and maximizing profits?

We're in a situation where we are 16 TRILLION dollars in debt. We're truly heading toward Greece. Tough decisions need to be made. Instead of talking about that, we're talking about binders full of women.

Obama is a spender. He doesn't know how to work with people who disagree to even pass a budget (he has not passed one in three years).

Romney knows what it takes to handle the money, and that is what needs to be done.

How can you honestly sit there and wonder whether or not business experience makes a difference when our economy is where it is now??

The "little detail" that worries some of us is that the national debt ballooned over the past four years-more than it did in the eight years under Bush.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it has but let's be honest...what caused the deficit?

How were the nation's finances when Obama was elected in 2004?

What was the cost of the conflict in Iraq for example?

2008 happened for a reason and that cannot be hung on Obama alone. Check out how the 8 years of Busheconomics affected the US for example (not all bad but the systematic elimination or reduction of government regulation in banking and esp in real estate loans).

Obama has his share of responsibility but if anyone thinks Romney will fix this, I am sorry but they have not paid much attention to the Republican economic policies since Bush or even good ole Reagonomics otherwise called lets put it all on credit and let future generations pay for it.

Anyway, not my country, not my election, just my opinion that right now Americans have to choose between the least worse candidate and to me Obama wins that race.

By the way, we have Harper in Canada and that has been an "interesting" experience to say the least...and not in a good way.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flakfizer wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
actionjackson wrote:

Swampfox10mm wrote:

The "little detail" that worries some of us is that the national debt ballooned over the past four years-more than it did in the eight years under Bush.

But it's also been going down. Shouldn't that count for something?
Quote:
Here's the news: The U.S. Treasury reported last Friday that the deficit for fiscal 2012 was $1.09 trillion. This was $200 billion or so less than the $1.3 trillion deficit recorded in 2011 and more than $300 billion less than the $1.42 trillion deficit in 2009.
http://capitalgainsandgames.com/blog/stan-collender/2642/2012-deficit-was-smallest-last-four-years-good-or-bad
lithium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
flakfizer wrote:
fosterman wrote:
stupid is what stupid does.

remember mc cain still got 44% of the votes. that means 44% of the people who voted actually believed he could do a better job than obama.

Why would those idiots possibly think that a man who had served his country in war time, had served 2 full terms in the House and over 3 full terms in the Senate be able to run the US better than a community organizer who had not even completed a full term in the senate?
Oh well, I'm sure those idiots sure feel silly now that they've seen what a great job Obama's been doing.

Actually Obama was a Senator!
and frankly he has done a great job!
you think The Republicans could of done a better job? when it was the republican who put the economy into the state it was in when Obama took office, NO of course not, because if Mc Cain would of won the free fall would of kept falling and the world would of been a different place today!
sorry.. I know.. Facts hurts.. but them the facts.

anyway, it's doesn't matter, just go back to 1960s until now and listen to the debates from the presidential candidates and you will hear all the same stuff being spoken today. Americans really can't work together. so don't ever expect anything to change in the United states.
it's all a scam for the rulers behind the closed doors.

Actually it was the Demacrats that caused the problems and it can be traced back to the Clinton admin. It was his Attorney General that forced banks to give out risky loans or face the consequences. Don't believe, the GOOGLE it.

Don't forget that the Demacrats controled Congress when the crap hit the fan and Obama was a Senator then.
lithium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Interestingly, he HAS a record of working with Democrats to pass ... get this... healthcare legislation! Obama, contrary to all of his promises (lies), ran to a smoke-filled room with other Democrats to write and ram through a nationally unpopular healthcare bill.

Do you mean working with Democrats for just the healthcare bill or in general? As you can see, he was responsible for having such a heavily democratic legislature.

Quote:
In Mitt Romney's 4 years of political experience, he signed 844 vetoes. He was perhaps the most vetoing governor in Massachusetts history. He claimed in the debate with Obama that he was good at working with the opposition party which controlled 87% of the legislature. In reality he was an obstructionist, the embodiment of "No". Because the legislature 707 times overrode his vetoes, he was an ineffectual governor. He suffered a great defeat in the midterm elections. Having spent 3 million to defeat Democratic legislators, his campaign increased Democratic legislators. Of his 844 vetoes, 707 were overridden. "The Boston Globe reported that in 100 instances Democrats did not challenge Romney and his vetoes stood. In cases when the Senate challenged him, Romney was overridden every time. When the House challenged him, Romney was overridden more than 99 percent of time, the Globe reported, based on statistics from the House minority leader�s office."

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2012/10/10/18723473.php or here, http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/07/how_often_were_mitt_romneys_ma.html

Swampfox10mm wrote:

I'm generally curious about what this point has to do with anything? Seriously, I would really like someone to try and explain this point to me. I thought businesses were all about the bottom dollar, and maximizing profits? How is that experience helpful when you need to create policies that are supposed to be in the best interest of the people you govern? I personally give more weight to his time as governor as being the biggest asset for the presidency.

We are talking about Executive experience lib. The man has never run a lemonade stand much less have the experience running the world's only superpower.
yodanole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I waste time on these debates? I haven't seen any reports recently of Obama killing any little girls, but then again I don't watch Fox News. So I might have missed them. Romney is still a Republican.

Am I missing any pertinant fact brought out in the debates? Did either of the above change? If not, I know what I need to know.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
flakfizer wrote:
fosterman wrote:

I thought the horse and bayonet line was good, because it easily showed how stupid the Romney bit about having more boats truly is, but did so in a way that everyone could understand without going into technical details about improved capabilities of modern boats. Treating stupid suggestions like they're legitimate makes them seem more serious than they really are.

I seriously wonder what moron in the Romney camp pushed Romney to use that line during debate prep. ANYONE with a modicum of knowledge about how the military operates could have seen the potential for disaster in making that claim, especially during lean economic times. When Paul Ryan made that claim I rolled my eyes and thought he was lucky Joey O'Biden let him get away with that. When Romney made and I saw the light go up in Obama's eyes I knew that that was going to bite him.

Whoever pushed for that point deserves to be canned by the Romney campaign.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithium wrote:
actionjackson wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Interestingly, he HAS a record of working with Democrats to pass ... get this... healthcare legislation! Obama, contrary to all of his promises (lies), ran to a smoke-filled room with other Democrats to write and ram through a nationally unpopular healthcare bill.

Do you mean working with Democrats for just the healthcare bill or in general? As you can see, he was responsible for having such a heavily democratic legislature.

Quote:
In Mitt Romney's 4 years of political experience, he signed 844 vetoes. He was perhaps the most vetoing governor in Massachusetts history. He claimed in the debate with Obama that he was good at working with the opposition party which controlled 87% of the legislature. In reality he was an obstructionist, the embodiment of "No". Because the legislature 707 times overrode his vetoes, he was an ineffectual governor. He suffered a great defeat in the midterm elections. Having spent 3 million to defeat Democratic legislators, his campaign increased Democratic legislators. Of his 844 vetoes, 707 were overridden. "The Boston Globe reported that in 100 instances Democrats did not challenge Romney and his vetoes stood. In cases when the Senate challenged him, Romney was overridden every time. When the House challenged him, Romney was overridden more than 99 percent of time, the Globe reported, based on statistics from the House minority leader�s office."

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2012/10/10/18723473.php or here, http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/07/how_often_were_mitt_romneys_ma.html

Swampfox10mm wrote:

I'm generally curious about what this point has to do with anything? Seriously, I would really like someone to try and explain this point to me. I thought businesses were all about the bottom dollar, and maximizing profits? How is that experience helpful when you need to create policies that are supposed to be in the best interest of the people you govern? I personally give more weight to his time as governor as being the biggest asset for the presidency.

We are talking about Executive experience lib. The man has never run a lemonade stand much less have the experience running the world's only superpower.

Actually it was genuine question. I can see how some aspects of the business world could transfer, but ultimately, running a business is nothing like running a country. That's why I still think that his experience as governor trumps his business experience. And in case you're still not convinced:
Quote:
Among those presidents with business experience, the successful ones don�t appear to be better at running the U.S. than unsuccessful ones. Both Lincoln and Truman ran businesses into the ground, but made it into the top 10. In fact, many of the presidents who were most successful in business don�t rank very high among the nation�s 43 chief executives. Consider Warren Harding, who ranked only two places from the bottom of the list. Yet before his 20th birthday, he borrowed money to buy a failing newspaper that generated income for the rest of his life. Herbert Hoover, a manager of a mining company, and George W. Bush, the first president with a master's in business administration degree and millionaire owner of the Texas Rangers, are both ranked in the bottom 10. And Jimmy Carter ranks only 32nd, even though he built a multimillion-dollar business from a family farm.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/223971
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: