Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have American Women's Rights Regressed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Have American Women's Rights Regressed? Reply with quote

I just got done watching the documentary Miss Representation which makes the argument that there hasn't been any progress in women's rights since the 70s. What happened? The conservatives seized power. Reagan was elected. Feminism was demonized. The Equal Rights Amendment was defeated. The media was deregulated. The percentage of women in American government has not increased in the past three decades. In fact, countries like Iraq, Cuba, and Afghanistan have a higher percentage of women involved in government than the USA. Women still face a lot of prejudice in politics. When Hillary Clinton was campaigning for president crowds would shout things at her like, "Iron my shirt!" The media portrays women as sex objects. Female newscasters are often indistinguishable in appearance from Hooter's waitresses. In most movies women are objectified and shown in subordinate positions to men. Most protagonists in movies are male. The media is controlled by men and thus is designed to please male tastes. The problem has become increasingly worse as the media has become deregulated. The media no longer cares about family values. It only cares about the bottom line. If showing young women in revealing clothing increases ratings then that's what the media will do. This sends a negative message to young girls about their value and discourages them from entering professions such as business and government. The documentary was better than I expected and made some thought provoking arguments.
nora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the women that ARE in politics are in much stronger positions - Secretary of State since the mid 90's has been a woman (save for Colin Powell). Condi was the national security advisor, the US ambassador to the UN is a woman (also named Rice - cant recall the first name). Mentioning Reagan, at the time, Maggie Thatcher was the PM of the UK. There are more woman in top business positions - Meg whatshername at eBay, the new HP CEO. Outside of business and politics, women are graduating from college at a higher rate then men, and they are getting more advanced degrees.

It might not be moving as fast as some people think it should, but to compare today to 30 years ago, it's a huge difference.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this topic is silly.

There is a study out of Wharton called the "The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness". Google it.

Basically while so called "womens rights" were increasing their happiness was decreasing. No paradox to me, foreseeable. This comes from running against the grain of nature. It didn't work. It won't ever work. Nature always wins.

And now even though you have an entire country of women who act like men, and are unhappy about it, you still have people posting on the internet that enough wasn't enough already, let's push further.

Think.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them regress (jk)
But women's rights only came into being because the people in power knew that if women worked and got out of being stay-at-home mom's that they could be taxed. Because before then they could only tax 50% of the population, now they could tax everyone, and guess who would benefit from such a thing? Obama.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there hasn't been any progress since the 70's hahaha.

1) Marriage redefined, women now given cash and prizes to divorce.

2) Family law heavily in favor of women. (preferentially given custody of children)

3) Domestic violence laws (positive arrest laws) basically allow women to have a husband/significant other arrested on a whim in many areas.

The effort to make things inclusive for women has reached somewhat crazy proportions. Just last year, the police in Manchester were sued by a female officer who couldn't complete the mandatory physical test to be included in the riot squad. She sued, got compensation, AND they lowered the requirements so that she could pass them. I find that utterly baffling. Either you meet the requirements to do a job, or you don't.

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002610/Woman-inspector-humiliated-failing-riot-test-wins-30k.html)

Feminists tend to focus on the fact that men dominate in the highest positions, conveniently not recognizing that men also dominate the worst, most dangerous jobs. (workplace fatalities are basically all men)
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Have American Women's Rights Regressed? Reply with quote

Serious question:

What is intrinsically better about being in politics or business, two fields traditionally dominated by men, rather than being in care giving and childhood education, two fields traditionally dominated by women? Why is being a mid-level executive for instance more laudable than being a stay at home mom (or dad)?
nero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, this is entirely the wrong place to try and open a dialogue about this. Seriously, you know the types of guys that are on Daves.

They think a 'real woman' is one who exists explicitly for them. The type of white, heterosexual, university educated male who is still adament they have had a disadvantaged life.

This will not end well.

@Patrick Bateman -
Those jobs were and are seen as lesser because they were performed by women. That's the point.
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:

Those jobs were and are seen as lesser because they were performed by women. That's the point.

That's what point?
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Let them regress (jk)
But women's rights only came into being because the people in power knew that if women worked and got out of being stay-at-home mom's that they could be taxed. Because before then they could only tax 50% of the population, now they could tax everyone, and guess who would benefit from such a thing? Obama.

Yes, it's Obama fault. Everything is Obama fault, it rained today (it's Obama fault) my wife left me (it's Obama fault) Rolling Eyes

Fact: Obama has not raised taxes! The rich still pay less than 15% of their income and workers still pay around 30%.
DejaVu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will come across as sexist but here we go: women and men aren't the same. Maybe I've been to too many biology/psychology/sociology classes...

From what I see, today still remains that most women:

want to be asked out
want to be taken care of
want to be proposed to
want to be seen as feminine

This does not make them lesser beings. It's just evolution at work.
Of course women should be paid equally and have the same opportunities but its beginning to stretch too far in some aspects of life and it shows (in their lack of happiness).
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Let them regress (jk)

Yes, it's Obama fault. Everything is Obama fault, it rained today (it's Obama fault) my wife left me (it's Obama fault) Rolling Eyes

Fact: Obama has not raised taxes! The rich still pay less than 15% of their income and workers still pay around 30%.

Obama is a puppet and the economy has gotten worse every year he's been in office (and he's still blaming Bush lol) and the unemployment has gone up still since he's been in office. Not to mention he spends money like a millionaire with a week to live. Spent MORE money than ALL previous presidents C-O-M-B-I-N-E-D.
He sucks, and he's getting the boot in November, thank God.

And this next link is the cream of crop, a big F U to his voters and YOU:
Former Aide on Obama: 'Stunning that He�s in Politics, Because He Really Doesn�t Like People'
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/former-aide-obama-stunning-he-s-politics-because-he-really-doesn-t-people_654636.html
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Sorry this topic is silly.

There is a study out of Wharton called the "The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness". Google it.

Basically while so called "womens rights" were increasing their happiness was decreasing. No paradox to me, foreseeable. This comes from running against the grain of nature. It didn't work. It won't ever work. Nature always wins.

And now even though you have an entire country of women who act like men, and are unhappy about it, you still have people posting on the internet that enough wasn't enough already, let's push further.

Think.

Ok Professor, so what is "nature's way" concerning women?
lithium

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Let them regress (jk)

15 million more people on food stamps (it's Obama's fault), more debt than every other President (it's Obama's fault), $4.50 per gallon gas due to strict regulations (it's Obama's fault), 23 million Americans out of work (it's Obama's fault), 4 dead Americans in Benghazi terrorist attack while blaming a video nobody initially viewed (it's Obama's fault), etc., etc., etc.,

You need to understand that the 15% taxes the rich pay is on capital gains. The money was already taxed before at the given rate. Must you just repeat talking points?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Obama is a puppet and the economy has gotten worse every year he's been in office (and he's still blaming Bush lol) and the unemployment has gone up still since he's been in office. Not to mention he spends money like a millionaire with a week to live. Spent MORE money than ALL previous presidents C-O-M-B-I-N-E-D.
He sucks, and he's getting the boot in November, thank God.l

Do you have any link or stat to back that assertion up? And if you factor in inflation, that's wrong.

In regards to November, unfortunately for you, polls say otherwise right now. Obama is currently favored to win next month.
rollo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the kind of guys you finjd on Daves. educated and employed Is what you mean I would tink. Rich white person issue. Western women, rich, comfortable, with legal rights. Silliness!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: