Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sam Ryan's going downhill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsantrim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went there last weekend for brunch and yes, it is going down hill as far as the food goes. I almost alway get the grand slam breakfast and it was definately a plate full. Now, it no longer comes with potatoes (W2500 or W3000 extra). They changed their sausage and the new stuff is nowhere near as good. The bacon isn't as flavourful as it used to be. You get 2 eggs still but you absolutely can't get them scrambled...only fried. They no longer carry jam for your toast. And, you no longer get tea or coffee. And, the cost of the meal is still the exact same (maybe a bit more).

The misses and I both decided that we aren't going there again unless it's a group decision.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chicken caeser salad is a joke. Rather than actual chicken breast fillets, they throw in chunks of the breaded chicken steaks (containing 20% actual meat) that they probably buy in bulk from Costco.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to be a regular but now tend not go there as the food service has gotten very slow there (last Sat nite it took 40 min to get a steak) and the sizes have gone downhill.

Staff attitude has gotten nasty as wife and I wanted a table as we would be ordering dinner but were refused an empty table. god forbid if you want a coke or ginger ale

I may go there if there is a sports event on live like the Super Bowl but other than that we likely will go down to Reilly's
T-J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only times I've been there are for the NFL Wildcard weekend Sunday morning games. Really the only games I get to watch live in a bar all year.

I was never impressed with the place and it has gotten worse over the years.

If anyone has a recommendation for this year, I'm all ears.
IamBabo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Sam Ryan's Reply with quote

Try Sin Bin.. Tons of TVs, and the staff has a much better attitude...
T-J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sam Ryan's Reply with quote

IamBabo wrote:
Try Sin Bin.. Tons of TVs, and the staff has a much better attitude...

Do they open on Sunday morning for the games?
is so delicious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with Sin Bin? Cheap(ish) beer on tap? Decent food? Do they play American sports? Specific games (replays) on request?
IamBabo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Sin Bin Reply with quote

As for opening for the games, they were open last year for the live NFL playoffs not the regular season games. There are food specials Monday through Thursday. Reasonably priced beer, food is pretty good. Still seems like they are tweaking the menu. Pool, darts, and shuffleboard as well..

They have a nice outdoor area, but obviously that is out until next spring..

And yes, most sports by request..
rchristo10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord that place is as old as its clients and pretty freeping boring, to say the least. Nothing has changed but the price of the menu items. Boring, boring, boring.

A bar for war vets. Seriously. Old. Tired. Boring.

The place really needs to get with the times. Cheers ain't on TV no more for a reason.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I realized this whole time that I was thinking of 3 Alley downstairs. Yeah, I don't like Sam Ryan's. My mistake.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some friends and I used to be regulars there on Tuesday nights in order to catch the Monday night football games. I remember being able to get 10 ribs (that I thought were pretty good) and a beer for a fiver. Then it seemed the word got out and you had to start showing up at 5:30 or 6 in order to get a seat. Then the price of the ribs went up and it seemed like the quality went down. After a couple of lackluster weeks of ribs, we stopped going. The last time I remember being in there was on a halloween a couple years back.
Trip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sin Bin is great: Best Itaewon rooftop view, beer pong, shuffle board, darts, pool, regular priced drinks (Red Rock is as cheap as anywhere else), great food and pizza, and cool owners and bartenders.

They open around 3-4pm on weekends, but if there is a request to open for sporting events, they will open earlier for your group.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sin Bin is great: Best Itaewon rooftop view, beer pong, shuffle board, darts, pool

Darts and pool are great pub games and I play them myself on occasion but what is it about beer pong that makes the people who play it let out great shouts and roars periodically, interupting all conversations for miles around? Any time I see beer pong in a pub these days I immediately turn around and walk out
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Ryan's looked really good when it first opened, but over time it's gone downhill (as the title suggests). First, not completely their fault but the layout is not good. If you're sitting in the front it's like visiting a 90s mosh pit to get to the bathroom or front door.

The last time I tried to eat there was dinner time on a Saturday. I get it that it's a busy time, but after over an hour we just cancelled our order although they told us we still had to pay (we just ordered pub grub, nothing fancy). We didn't and just left. The service was always questionable, but the food was also getting lousier over time. The last time I went was for some NFL morning game last year and even though we were sitting at the bar it was nearly impossible to get service. Yes, it was busy but the 5-6 people behind the bar were only serving one side--they would actually just stand there and ignore our calls if no one on that side needed service. I think they had one or two waitresses for the entire rest of the restaurant, too. I often get the feeling that my business isn't needed in the place (3 Alley's pompousness must have leaked through the walls).

As for Sin Bin, I like the place as I did when it was Roofers and the myriad of other incarnations over the years (wish they didn't remove the booths on the roof, though). However, they always seem to open so late on weekends. I've gone around dinner time only to find the door locked. With a rooftop like that they should be open all afternoon. When it was Roofers it would be packed from 1pm till closing on the weekends up there. Of course the seating was much more comfortable. The food seemed good the couple of times I had it, but I'm not going to walk all the way over there from the main drag and climb 3 flights of stairs with a 50/50 chance of it being open (actually I think we were 1/7-ish this summer while the sun was still up).
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Sin Bin is great: Best Itaewon rooftop view, beer pong, shuffle board, darts, pool

Darts and pool are great pub games and I play them myself on occasion but what is it about beer pong that makes the people who play it let out great shouts and roars periodically, interupting all conversations for miles around? Any time I see beer pong in a pub these days I immediately turn around and walk out

Sounds like a man who has never played an epic game of beer pong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: