Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lawsuit over Harvard admission rejection
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
So you feel good about being a snitch and getting someone fired. Congrats douchebag.
Again, do you actually feel proud of yourself for being a tattle-tail? God I hated kids like you in school.

lol, more proof that most people suck.
I guess DBB should have showed up at the admission-seller's office and beat him up for disadvantaging honest kids, right?
Or are you saying we shouldn't care how many students are disenfranchised by others who pay to cheat?
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, don't feed the troll, he's a jackass.
misher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. If there is a family legacy
2. If the family has donated to that university
3. The family (or student) will provide a "boost" to the university in one way or another (perhaps not financial, but reputation or image)

Based on my personal experience this is bang on.

one example comes to mind: My sister tried to get into Harvard and Wharton for 2 years before she gave up. SHe had the grades, the GMAT, the RECOMMENDATIONS (her chairman at her private equity group makes annual contributions to Harvard and he is alum). SHe finally went to Columbia but that is besides the point.

She eventually figured out that she just didn't have the pedigree. Her no-name Canadian University undergrad (U of Ottawa) and the fact that her parents are nobodies and no one in her family had attended those schools really hurt her application.

I had a few students in Japan that attended Wharton and I asked them about how they got in. THey said their GMAT scores were good (not stellar) and they graduated from smaller Japanese universities. However one of them had a grandfather that started a trading company after the War. Well it now turns over hundreds of millions annually and my student was the VP. He got in because of #3 on the list in the previous post. Basically,from the way I see it, the business schools (not sure about the others) don't want people that are 'reaching.'
MollyBloom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Where you come up with that theory? I'm intrigued.

I'm an alumna.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: