Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My friend got punched in the face. How common is this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslwriter

Location: A dot on the planet with an exaggerated sense of importance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than a few people (both Korean and foreigners) have commented that the general level of aggression in this country is noticeably higher.

Some people suggest it is time to stand one's ground and fight back against physical attacks.

Maybe. But if the police do become involved, is it really worth wasting an evening in the cop shop hoping things will turn out ok?

Cause guess what? In this country, foreign monkeys aren't necessarily treated with ... huh ... equal respect. Especially in cases where it's he said, he said, and suddenly three of the Korean person's buddies show up lying through their teeth about you as the instigator.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslwriter wrote:
More than a few people (both Korean and foreigners) have commented that the general level of aggression in this country is noticeably higher.

Some people suggest it is time to stand one's ground and fight back against physical attacks.

Maybe. But if the police do become involved, is it really worth wasting an evening in the cop shop hoping things will turn out ok?

Cause guess what? In this country, foreign monkeys aren't necessarily treated with ... huh ... equal respect. Especially in cases where it's he said, he said, and suddenly three of the Korean person's buddies show up lying through their teeth about you as the instigator.

YES.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

declan74 wrote:
a man's honor should supercede the fear of police interaction and or deportation from this country.

Excellent food for thought while you sing children's songs for a wage a little bit higher than full time fast food worker back home.

declan74 wrote:
Personally,I would've made the Korean guy swallow his teeth in front of his girlfriend.I would've dealt with the consequences,as cruel as they may have been, but still feel the honor and pride in my heart.

The OP did the right and smart thing. You're in Asia now... you're not back on the ranch where men are men and women are women.

It takes more brains and strength to walk away and avoid idiotic conflicts with drunk locals than it does to get into a meaningless fight that will just wind up in huge headaches and possible large financial consequences.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Korea for 21 years, frequented many bars and clubs, and this never happened to me.

You did a good thing. Karma will always work in your favor if you turn the other cheek.
declan74

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddycakes wrote:
declan74 wrote:
a man's honor should supercede the fear of police interaction and or deportation from this country.

Excellent food for thought while you sing children's songs for a wage a little bit higher than full time fast food worker back home.

declan74 wrote:
Personally,I would've made the Korean guy swallow his teeth in front of his girlfriend.I would've dealt with the consequences,as cruel as they may have been, but still feel the honor and pride in my heart.

The OP did the right and smart thing. You're in Asia now... you're not back on the ranch where men are men and women are women.

It takes more brains and strength to walk away and avoid idiotic conflicts with drunk locals than it does to get into a meaningless fight that will just wind up in huge headaches and possible large financial consequences.

My temper would end coming through in the end and the guy would be
%*itting out his teeth the next morning on the loo. I'm the gentlest gentleman you'd ever want to meet and never have or never will be the one to agitate someone and start something up for nothing. If I am attacked or physically assaulted, for no reason,I'll fight back viciously. I'd expect any man to do the same.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

declan74 wrote:
Paddycakes wrote:
declan74 wrote:

declan74 wrote:

My temper would end coming through in the end and the guy would be
%*itting out his teeth the next morning on the loo. I'm the gentlest gentleman you'd ever want to meet and never have or never will be the one to agitate someone and start something up for nothing. If I am attacked or physically assaulted, for no reason,I'll fight back viciously. I'd expect any man to do the same.

Maybe he's a better fighter than you and you wouldn't knock his teeth out.

Maybe he'd pummel you into the ground.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
I lived in Korea for 21 years, frequented many bars and clubs, and this never happened to me.

You did a good thing. Karma will always work in your favor if you turn the other cheek.

Agreed.
lithium

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: My friend got punched in the face. How common is this? Reply with quote

kona wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum and have only been in korea for two months, so I'm sorry that I'm going to start off with a negative post, just wanted to share an experience I had and get some feedback from you guys.

My friends and I were out at Kyungsung University in Busan having some drinks at a bar (we were not drunk). As we were coming down the stairs, I see this guy talking to his girl and I think I might have brushed him. I said "mian hamnida" to him and walked out of the doorway. A couple of my friends come out, and this guy flies out of the doorway and punches my friend in the face. He then starts yelling stuff at him and trying to punch him again. I thought things were broken up, but he then goes to punch him again and I grab the guy and hold him down. My friend comes over to help restrain the guy and we think it's over. He then comes at my friend a third time punching at kicking, yelling all sorts of madness. This was completely unprovoked too; my friend didn't touch or say anything to him (he was with his girlfriend). I think the guy might've though it was me because we were both wearing red shirts.

People have told me never to fight a Korean because the law will always back them up and never the foreigner. I didn't fight, although I sure felt like going rounds. I hear if you do fight you usually have to pay a huge fine (one friend has a friend who had to pay 4 million won for being attacked) or are deported.

Is this common? Do these type of altercations happen a lot? Is it directed mainly at foreigners, or is just something drunk Korean guys do (or drunk people anywhere, for that matter)?

It's never happened to me, but apparently, according to Daves, it is a normal occurance.
lithium

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Your friend's a wuss. He should have hit back. And you're a horrible friend, you should have helped your friend out by laying the guy out who was on top of him.. Shame on both of you (more on you though, what friend doesn't help another friend getting beat up? I wouldn't talk or hang out with you after that if I were your friend).

These stories are coming up more frequently, and I think it's time waegookins get over paying the blood money and start defending yourself--I'm saying start stuff--I'm saying defend and finish it if it gets brought to you. You won't get deported, at least not from what I've read on here.

And you're a douche. He wasn't getting grounded and pounded, he took a crack and we thought it was broken up. but the guy kept coming back with random cracks. so i just held the guy down. yea i guess i could've started throwing blows, but then the guy's face would've been all messed up. luckily, the guy was weak as hell and my buddy only has a fat lip and maybe a bruise on his nose (nothing broken).

you get into much fights here dodge? i'm sure you're just laying those riley koreans out left and right, but the police don't do anything because you're such a valuable asset to korean society.

Dodge is a legend....tread lightly.
Zulethe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem here is what's known as "little guy" syndrome.

Napoleon had it and a lot of Korean guys have it. The other problem is that most foreigners have "little heart syndrome" but they aren't necessarily small in stature.

Don't confuse height for size.

So the combination of little guy syndrome coupled with little heart syndrome is a recipe for disaster.

Show a bigger heart to combat the little guy syndrome is the answer.
Zackback

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have totally clocked that guy.

Listen up. If you think he may squeal to the police about what took place then give him such a beat down that either he will never remember what took place or he will never be able to get up again (as in dead).

If I saw that happen to my friend I would have beat the piss out of that guy.
kona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering if you had seen things like this before. I wasn't asking what you would do in the same situation. I could care less; trying to prove how much you're a tough guy by writing about it anonymously on an internet forum doesn't really mean much to me.

It doesn't sound like it is all that common of an occurrence. That's good, hate to see anyone in the big house for something as stupid as this.

BTW, what is small heart syndrome?
Zackback

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it happened to me. I was walking with my girlfriend (and for all my fans she was 21 years old) in Jeju and some dude just walks right into me. No one else was around and there was plenty of room. I noticed that when he was moving toward me slightly I thought it was strange so I moved a little bit. Next thing I know he plowed right into me So I took my hand and smashed him in the back of the head. My girlfriend started yelling at him. He gave me a dirty look and walked away. What a weirdo!
Unibrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many internet tough guys on here.
kona

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Yes it happened to me. I was walking with my girlfriend (and for all my fans she was 21 years old) in Jeju and some dude just walks right into me. No one else was around and there was plenty of room. I noticed that when he was moving toward me slightly I thought it was strange so I moved a little bit. Next thing I know he plowed right into me So I took my hand and smashed him in the back of the head. My girlfriend started yelling at him. He gave me a dirty look and walked away. What a weirdo!

Lucky you. Friend of mine up in Daegu knew someone who got attacked in an alley in Daegu. Knocked the guy down and left. Police came to his house the next day and he had to pay a 4million won fine to the guy or else be deported. So maybe dumb luck on your part that you hit someone in the back of the head that didn't hit you first and didn't get into any trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: