Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading Town

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IveGotSeoul334

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reading Town Reply with quote

Does anyone have any details on this school. What the workload is like... how the classes are structured... etc. I am feeling some pressure to take a job soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Big Mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Town is OK. I had problems at the one I worked at because they refused to offer pension and medical insurance even though it is mandatory. If the contract you have doesn't mention pension, don't sign it. You want pension, as you get it all back when you leave Korea and means an extra million won or so a year in your pocket.

Reading Town has a very strict curriculum. They will tell you what to teach on what days. Of all the places I worked in Korea, their curriculum was the best and worked the best...though it left little room for creativity and was stifling after a while.

There is a lot of extra work. Your students have to write book reports every week and you will constantly have a stack of them that need to be marked. Report cards are once a month and detailed. Also, there are lots of tests that need to be marked.

It's a good first year job if you get the pension. Be careful though, because individual schools in any big chain vary in quality.
osg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the branch in Geumcheon (Seoul)? I've heard mixed reviews about Reading Town overall and there was only one review online for this branch:

"The Readingtown franchise offers a good range of material support. However, the curriculum is somehow both very ridged yet unorganized. I was promised many things before my arrival, and then found out that I was taking a pay cut for training, teaching 3-4 year olds without any Korean help, consistently forced to work outside of my contract hours, and basically treated like a piece of dirty property. Avoid Geumchun gu- Readingtown."

This was back in 2009 so I was wondering if anyone had anything to add or confirm about this branch? I've been offered a job there and am a little nervous after hearing all of the hagwon horror stories online. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: