Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAIA (Philippines): the worst in Asia....no surprise
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b-class rambler wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:
frankfurt shouldn't be on that list.

But are you thinking of the same airport? I bet you're not.

Frankfurt Hahn is not the huge international airport on the outskirts of the city you'd expect it to be on the outskirts of.

Hahn is an ex-military airfield that Ryanair flies to and has the cheek to tell people they're flying to Frankfurt. They might as well tell them they're flying to Luxembourg because that's as close as Frankfurt is - some 120km away.

Never used it, so can't comment on how bad it is or isn't, but I expect the fact that it's absolutely in the middle of nowhere has a lot to do with the negative feedback received.

oh yes i'm familiar with ryanair and frankfurt hahn. i don't think it compares to the lcc terminal in kuala lumpur in sheer awfulness. most of the low cost terminals in europe aren't bad enough where i'm tempted to walk instead of dealing with the airport. frankfurt hahn is similar to bergamo in milan italy which was also on that list. i've also been to bergamo and it wasn't that bad at all.

granted bgy and hhn are not icn/hkg/sin/zrh/etc. by any means but they're not that terrible all things considered.

lcc in KL however still wins (or loses?) by a landslide in my personal experiences.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain how ICC Kuala Lumpur is worse than Jakarta? Oh Saekarno-Hatta International Airport I mean. I've been to both and Jakarta was just as unattractive as ICC and a quagmire on top of that, not to mention the criminals at immigration (which is exactly what they are). Having traveled in SE Asia I love this thread. Laughing

I was seriously totally beside myself when I found out my favorite airport Don Muang was being replaced by Suwanapomi. Don Muang was the perfect unostentatious airport with nice stuff in it and nicely located in Bangkok.
Drew345

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read about "worst airport in Asia", I also thought of Medan. I remember landing there and wondering what on earth I had gotten myself into. Thanks for the info on the new airport there; it looks amazing!
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:

oh yes i'm familiar with ryanair and frankfurt hahn.

Ok, fair enough if you've been there and that was the one you meant. Just guessed you didn't because I'd never heard anyone refer to it as "Frankfurt", always either "Hahn" or "Frankfurt-Hahn".

Agreed, I don't know why Bergamo is on that list either. With Hahn, I can understand lots of complaints about its location and accessibility, especially given how many people have no idea beforehand how bad it is in those respects. Bergamo, however, isn't that far from Milan and is also very handily located for other cities and the Lake Garda area and is right next to an expressway to all of those places.

Hahn, on the other hand is miles away from any expressway, has nothing of note in its vicinity and doesn't have any rail links either. There are buses to Trier, Luxembourg and Frankfurt but they're not that frequent and having once lived in that part of Germany myself (long before Hahn became a civilian airport) I know how long it takes to get to those places.

Ryanair, of course, quite often plays the same trick in trying to associate middle of nowhere airports with large cities that they're not actually very close to. AFAIK, they still do it with Weeze Airport, which they make out is a Duesseldorf Airport. It's actually 50km closer to Duesseldorf than Hahn is to Frankfurt (i.e. still 70km away) and nowhere near as isolated or hard to access, but a German court still ruled it couldn't call itself Duesseldorf-Weeze because of the likelihood of "misleading passengers". Not sure how Hahn gets away with it, then. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: