Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying Samsung Galaxy S phone to bring back to Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tukmax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Buying Samsung Galaxy S phone to bring back to Canada Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a used Samsung Galaxy S1 phone in Korea. I want to bring it with me when I go on my long term world travels after I finish teaching in Korea. I want to use it on the road as an double as an ipod touch substitute (apps, games); the GPS function; as my digital camera to take photos; and potentially as a phone (popping in a sim card in a foreign country).

At the end of that I want to use it when I return to Canada as my cell phone.

I've seen a few used Galaxy S1 phones being sold on here and craigslist. They seem to be the SK Anycall models. I researched on the web and found some tech sites that said it was hard to 'root' this phone or something along those lines. I don't really understand the tech jargon much.

Anyways, is anyone knowledgeable with these things and could help me out with some advice?
lalartu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all Korean cell phones work on a different frequency from the rest of the world, so even if you buy it here, it is unlikely to work overseas.

in terms of Canada, our 3G network is on a different frequency too, so galaxy s phones bought in Korea can only connect to 2G.

I don't know if there is any way to remedy this, but out of the box, even if you unlock it, you won't be able to connect to 3G

so as an mp3 player/portable movie device (it has an antenna too, so you can watch TV) it will work fine. it will also work fine as a cell phone. but you won't have 3g internet access. only WIFI
Drew10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the frequency bands in Canada?

That phone is a multi-band phone, meaning it can connect on 3 or 4 different frequencies. Doubtful that you'll have much of a problem once it's unlocked.

Rooting the S1 is easy, all that does is give you access to use special apps and tools, flashing a new rom (changing the software) on the Korean versions isn't so easy. All the good roms (software packs) are written for the I-9000 international version, not the Korean SHW-M110S.
r122925

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Samsung Galaxy S phone to bring back to Canada Reply with quote

tukmax wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a used Samsung Galaxy S1 phone in Korea. I want to bring it with me when I go on my long term world travels after I finish teaching in Korea. I want to use it on the road as an double as an ipod touch substitute (apps, games); the GPS function; as my digital camera to take photos; and potentially as a phone (popping in a sim card in a foreign country).

At the end of that I want to use it when I return to Canada as my cell phone.

I've seen a few used Galaxy S1 phones being sold on here and craigslist. They seem to be the SK Anycall models. I researched on the web and found some tech sites that said it was hard to 'root' this phone or something along those lines. I don't really understand the tech jargon much.

Anyways, is anyone knowledgeable with these things and could help me out with some advice?

It will work in Canada, and most other places with GSM providers. Don't worry about that. Just stick in the SIM card and you're good to go.

If you don't know what rooting is you probably won't ever need to do it.

It will work for all of the things you mention... apps/games, phone, gps, camera, etc. Although one thing I will mention is that the Galaxy S camera just plain sucks. Bad color, often blurry, does not have a flash, useless at night and other low-light conditions. No phones have particularly great cameras, but the Galaxy S is really bad. It's a good phone otherwise, but if you want to take good pictures consider another phone. The Galaxy S2 camera is almost infinitely better.
NQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but will the 3G work on this phone in Canada? there's no point getting a phone like this if the 3G doesn't work back home
teachal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the heck would you even want to? I have one and it's quite freaking terrible. It barely functions as a phone. For one thing, the RAM is only 366 MB!

It doesn't run anything as far as apps go, that's new than a year or so. Tried rooting, un-rooting it, the works. It's just crap.
NQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEah I ended up going with a Galaxy S2 anyway. I did more research and found out the 3G isn't compatible with the major networks at home. I was being frugel but who are we kidding. I had to go with the S2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: