Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan indifference to 'Gangnam Style' riles S.Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimchipig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a cute song for sure and I actually heard in on the radio while driving my car on Monday on a Vancouver pop station. First time I have ever heard a Korean pop song on a Canadian radio station.
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought 99% of Koreans have much more going on in their lives than caring what Japanese think of a pop video. What is the word for wondering how an enemy views a daft pop video one of your compatriots made? Infantile?
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple translation:

White people, and SE Asians who are used to stuffy Koreans, think it's really funny to see a Korean (or North Asian) person dance around like that.

Japanese just don't find it humorous.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Japan indifference to 'Gangnam Style' riles S.Korea Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
[b]

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/japan-indifference-gangnam-style-riles-korea-033543793.html

Quote:
"Oops!
Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!"
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Japan indifference to 'Gangnam Style' riles S.Korea Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
nautilus wrote:
[b]

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/japan-indifference-gangnam-style-riles-korea-033543793.html

Quote:
"Oops!
Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!"

It bothered you that much that you had to hack it, delete it, then bring this thread back from page three to glorify Korean honor? Or, are you just retarded and believe that the article never existed? What's your point here?
kardisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6M8D41ZWU
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Japan indifference to 'Gangnam Style' riles S.Korea Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
nautilus wrote:
[b]

Quote:
"Oops!

It bothered you that much that you had to hack it, delete it, then bring this thread back from page three to glorify Korean honor?

My point is that the link doesn't work. That should be obvious. And how about following the TOS?
fosterman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hear that K pop and all things Korean is HUGE in Asia, we hear about this Korean WAVE, but is it though? I mean we hear it all from here.
so from Korean broadcasting, Korean media yeah it might sound like Korea is the greatest and most famous country on earth.

but frankly until kangnam style most of my friends back home had never even heard of a Korean singer, or seen a korean movie.
all they know is samsung.
and now with gangnam style the Korean tourism department are going to MILK this like crazy.

Quote:
To make matters worse, various Japanese music blogs have suggested that the video's success on YouTube -- 530 million views and counting -- was down to South Koreans using automated viewing programmes known as "bots".

I can easily believe this, this is typical Koreans wanting to be Number 1
but seriously as much as I hate Justin Bieber, psy will never be number 1
I mean until he can have 10 or 20 songs with over 300 million hits, like bieber or one direction he really is just the ONE HIT WONDER.
the song is nothing more than the YMCA, Macarena of this decade.
sure he will reach 1 billion hits, only because Koreans want that.
so all Koreans will come together and just log onto the video everyday so they can say look at us, WE ARE NUMBER 1
nero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the whole debate about whether the Korean wave is actually happening/is k-pop gunna take over the world/do people really care/are the Koreans bumping the numbers etc used to rile me up. The whole Jeju wonder of the world thing used to drive me insane with rage.

I realise now that I just don't care. I used to get so angry about the 'in your face ' blustering from Koreans about this and that, but I realise now that it just doesn't bother me. I smile and ignore it.
I feel so much better.

Now I worry about things in my life and things that will affect me and the people around me. I am so much happier in Korea than I was.
If Koreans want to fill their empty lives with boosting numbers here and there, so be it. In the end it doesn't really matter.
NovaKart

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's like this year's my milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard with a leave britney alone gag music video.

As far as promoting Korean culture, I'm not surprised because in Turkey I hear Korea come up sometimes when someone's seen a documentary or Korean movie and I expected it was the result of some Korean promotion. Now there's a mild interest in Korea among some people but that's about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: