Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Women w/ Korean Guys: Do You Get Evil Eyes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
there are ONLINE GROUPS, FB GROUPS for mixed couples. My wife joined one here where we live and we met tons of mixed couples that way and GASP guess what moron? Some are foreign woment married to Korean men! Holy mother of god, how is that even possible??? I must be lying again.

In Korea, there are also such groups and GASP, there are foreign women-Korean men couples.

So yeah we know about 13 such couples...but you think that is impossible...go figure.

Most people know well enough that is probably how you are "in acquaintance" with that number of couples. I, for one, tend to think that your experience in that regard is mostly from your social group in Canada and you actually know of very few of those couples in Korea. I'm sure that you will tell me that I'm wrong.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crescent wrote:
Moron? Tool? Pathetic? You can't count, Mrs. Busan. Sorry, the trash talk only solidifies my take on your contribution here. You have no more 'real' insight to offer on this thread than I do. You are here to balance things out with your opinions, as is the case with every other thread that may cast a negative on Korea or Koreans..
What is more pathetic than someone with a compulsive need to pretend they know something about a subject they could not possibly know about? And then to invent female friends who have become intimate enough to share such insights? Yeah, you go girl.

You're full of it.

Hey you called me a liar more than once. What did you expect? That I would just sit there and take it?

Invent female friends? You have a vivid imagination. Laughing Thisn would be funny if it was not so pathetic.

Last edited by PatrickGHBusan on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
there are ONLINE GROUPS, FB GROUPS for mixed couples. My wife joined one here where we live and we met tons of mixed couples that way and GASP guess what moron? Some are foreign woment married to Korean men! Holy mother of god, how is that even possible??? I must be lying again.

In Korea, there are also such groups and GASP, there are foreign women-Korean men couples.

So yeah we know about 13 such couples...but you think that is impossible...go figure.

Most people know well enough that is probably how you are "in acquaintance" with that number of couples. I, for one, tend to think that your experience in that regard is mostly from your social group in Canada and you actually know of very few of those couples in Korea. I'm sure that you will tell me that I'm wrong.

Actually we met our first mixed couple friends in Busan as part of an event for such couples. It was organized by a social group in Busan. That gathering had many mixed couples (korea women with foreign men and korean men with foreign women, some of which were K-men with Western women). We also met some through some friends of mine from a job. These were a couple of K-men/western women couples. One was the sister of a girl I worked with, she lived in Seoul with her K-husband and as far as I know still does. Then on this very board there were a few such couples and I interacted with them via pm and then email. Why?

Shared experiences! It was and is a good way to trade information, discuss common issues and so on. Some of those couples (like I said in previous posts) happened to be K-men with foreign/western women.

In Canada, we met some too as part of the group my wife joined. They hold meetings every month. Again, great way to discuss common issues, information, trade info about stuff we look for and so on.

For the record, Busan now has some more groups for mixed couples. They have events where such couples can trade information. We attended an event on our last visit because the organizer knew my wife.

All I am saying is that it is not so hard to meet K-men with foreign wives-spouses when as a mixed couple yourself, you want to meet others in a similar situation.

This is not about being right or wrong by the way. I am just relating my experiences but the mod who intervened is right, I sure did not date any K-men. Laughing
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

One of the ladies told me that people used to ask her husband "how much?" as if he were her pimp, and she certainly did not dress like a prostitute.

Do you think that was a serious question? It sounds like they were just trying to insult him. I've wondered about how the foreign women that are married to koreans are treated. I have plenty that have dated korean men, but none that have married them. None of my friends that dated korean men seemed to have issues, but they weren't the type to have korean friends that were women. I've been told korean women are catty towards foreign women, and towards each other.

I wish more foreign girls would contribute to this.

I can't really say, as I wasn't there. I'll ask her later what she thinks.

I'm fairly sure that being catty isn't specific to being Korean Embarassed
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:

Then you have his friends or coworkers wanting explicit details of how the white women are in bed.

To be fair, all men do this. Myself included.

And seeing how uncommon it is to see Asian men with Caucasian women here it easily understandable why they would be interested.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know two or three western girls married to Kguys. The girls are all stunningly beautiful (I really mean that), and I have only met one of the husbands - he happens to be one of my dearest friends from Korea, a truly nice guy. Captain Korea knows him too. (SJ!) He is one of the coolest Korean guys I have ever met in my life. Down to earth and sincere.

When a bus ran over his leg a few years ago, the capt. and I were going to visit him in the hospital (although at different times) - and he felt horrible sharing a room with a bunch of other people - it sucked for him, but thankfully he recovered. He's in Canada now looking for a job...wish him the best.

They have a beautiful little girl - and they love each other very much.

Hope this helps OP.
madoka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:

Hope this helps OP.

Are you kidding? This is Dodge7 asking the question. If you really wanted to help him, you'd have said that the Korean husband gets sloshed on soju every night and comes home from the local brothel, strips down to a white tank top so that he can beat his Western wife for not using two hands to serve him his kimchi. That's the answer he is looking for!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
I only know two or three western girls married to Kguys. The girls are all stunningly beautiful (I really mean that), and I have only met one of the husbands - he happens to be one of my dearest friends from Korea, a truly nice guy. Captain Korea knows him too. (SJ!) He is one of the coolest Korean guys I have ever met in my life. Down to earth and sincere.

When a bus ran over his leg a few years ago, the capt. and I were going to visit him in the hospital (although at different times) - and he felt horrible sharing a room with a bunch of other people - it sucked for him, but thankfully he recovered. He's in Canada now looking for a job...wish him the best.

Hope this helps OP.

Yup. When people go on rants about k-guys marrying Western girls, it just doesn't jive with the examples I know... and the one we know in common is a perfect example of that.

Solid guy, that I'd be proud to call a friend in any country. They actually moved to my home town, and I look forward to hanging out there with him some day.

BTW - he found a job Very Happy
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:

Hope this helps OP.

Yup. When people go on rants about k-guys marrying Western girls, it just doesn't jive with the examples I know... and the one we know in common is a perfect example of that.

Solid guy, that I'd be proud to call a friend in any country. They actually moved to my home town, and I look forward to hanging out there with him some day.

BTW - he found a job Very Happy

That's good news! Smile
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:
Anyways, just wanted to say that it's not out of the realm of possibilities to show up to a kid's birthday party and find 10 mixed couples - most of them being 'foreign' wives.

That's a good point but how many parties in Korea are you going to be invited to when you and your family lives in Canada? And how much detail can you go into when you meet them once a week, or once a year on your annual vacation to Korea?
Realistically how much insight can Patrick provide in this thread? His insistent defense of all that is Korea is particularly grating on a topic such as this considering his knowledge is next to nothing. We should be looking at posts by female posters who have provided some genuine insight instead of idiots who spiel either venom or sainthoods upon all that is Korean.

Patrick had a point, but he only defends. He could speak to the serious issue of some Korean males verbally insulting Korean females when they see them with Western males or males from other parts of the world. He's got a point that people need to be careful before generalizing. Maybe he feels that when the OP said Korean males are jealous that he's claiming all Korean men simply have some inferiority complex. I'm not sure, but this how it sounds. Granted, it can happen in North America, but it appears much more commonplace here in terms of someone saying something to a girl. Maybe he has a point about Dodge's comments, but some men are frustrated with the openly anti-Western comments they may have seen and to feel better about the situation, Dodge labels them as jealous. Could there be some jealousy involved when they see a woman of their ethnicity with a Western male? In some cases, yes. In some cases, it could be just simply pure xenophobia.

One thing I can say is that I haven't heard many Western females complain about when they're with Korean males, but I have heard too many Western males complaining that Korean males have insulted the Korean they were with. The reality is that there is a huge gap between how Korean women and men are treated in Korea. Women are much more likely to be controlled by their parents, have early curfews while that is not so true for the men. Yes, some women will scowl if they see a white woman with a Korean male. It happens, but it's more of some Korean males being aggressive and insulting Korean females. They would never do that to a Korean male because a Korean male would understand and would fight them.

I think in 2012, it's much less of a big deal to see a Western male with a Korean female. It was a major shock when Koreans started seeing it large numbers in the beginning and still is for some. The same happened in the West when people say white females with black or Asian males some decades ago in North America. Korea is catching up. I definitely remember a guy back in 2000 telling me experiencing harassment from Korean guys when he was dating a Korean girl.
madoka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
Granted, it can happen in North America, but it appears much more commonplace here in terms of someone saying something to a girl.

"Can" happen in North America??? Try dating the wrong race in the wrong part of town and see what happens. I'd argue it's much more prevalent in the U.S., because we are more racially segregated than we'd like to admit. I've never heard of anyone getting shot, stabbed, killed, or brutally beaten for dating the wrong race in Korea. Getting a dirty look or offensive comment seems rather tame in comparison.

---------------------

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/white-man-says-he-was-beaten-savagely-by-group-of-blacks-for-dating-african-american/

A Georgia man was reportedly beaten savagely and �left for dead� by a group of black men who apparently didn�t approve that he was dating an African-American girl.

As the interracial couple roamed through Ellis Square, one of Savannah�s busiest centers in the historic downtown district, a group of three black men began taunting them, hurling racial slurs and gestures at them.

Soon after, the men began blowing kisses at the pair and then suddenly jumped the white boyfriend, Andrew Quade, 23, without warning. They proceeded to beat him viciously, leaving him barely holding onto consciousness.

---------------------

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-09-07/justice/new.york.beating_1_milligan-beating-buffalo-police?_s=PM:CRIME

Milligan Sr. says he believes the attackers are the same "neighborhood guys" who threatened his son and his African-American girlfriend because of their interracial relationship.

The younger Milligan and his girlfriend, Nicola Fletcher, who is also 18, had recently complained of an increase in insults and threats in east Buffalo, where Fletcher lives and where Milligan was staying with his grandmother, Fletcher said.

"Every time they walk the streets, people stop him and call him 'cracker' and ask her why she's not with a black guy," Milligan Sr. said.

Two days before the attack, Fletcher said she was shot with paintball pellets by the same group of neighborhood aggressors.

---------------------

http://thegrio.com/2012/01/27/white-chicago-teens-beat-black-youth-over-interracial-relationship/#46165791

A 17-year-old African-American teen was beaten during a hate crime in Chicago in late December 2011, area police are now reporting. The victim, Joshua Merritt, a senior at Brother Rice High School, was attacked by three white teenage boys who attend the same institution. The assault was allegedly motivated by the black male youth starting a interracial relationship with the cousin of the youngest perpetrator.

�The (attacker) was also charged with aggravated assault for pulling a knife,� according to the Chicago Tribune.

---------------------

http://www.afroromance.com/fyooz/whatisnt-racial-about-this-interracial-couples-murder/

Four African American Marines force entry into this interracial couple�s home by pointing a short gun at him. After a short battle, they tie and gag the couple. Then these ruthless SOBs rape Jenkins and force the hubby to watch the defilement. Then they torture the couple for a number of hours before putting bullets in both of their heads. Oh! Did I forget to mention EXECUTION STYLE? Then the suspects set the house ablaze to destroy evidence.
. . .
On the wall near the couple�s master bedroom and bathroom mirror were graffiti racial remarks �N****r Lover�.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Can" happen in North America??? Try dating the wrong race in the wrong part of town and see what happens. I'd argue it's much more prevalent in the U.S., because we are more racially segregated than we'd like to admit. I've never heard of anyone getting shot, stabbed, killed, or brutally beaten for dating the wrong race in Korea. Getting a dirty look or offensive comment seems rather tame in comparison.

---------------------

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/white-man-says-he-was-beaten-savagely-by-group-of-blacks-for-dating-african-american/

A Georgia man was reportedly beaten savagely and �left for dead� by a group of black men who apparently didn�t approve that he was dating an African-American girl.

As the interracial couple roamed through Ellis Square, one of Savannah�s busiest centers in the historic downtown district, a group of three black men began taunting them, hurling racial slurs and gestures at them.

Soon after, the men began blowing kisses at the pair and then suddenly jumped the white boyfriend, Andrew Quade, 23, without warning. They proceeded to beat him viciously, leaving him barely holding onto consciousness.

---------------------

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-09-07/justice/new.york.beating_1_milligan-beating-buffalo-police?_s=PM:CRIME

Milligan Sr. says he believes the attackers are the same "neighborhood guys" who threatened his son and his African-American girlfriend because of their interracial relationship.

The younger Milligan and his girlfriend, Nicola Fletcher, who is also 18, had recently complained of an increase in insults and threats in east Buffalo, where Fletcher lives and where Milligan was staying with his grandmother, Fletcher said.

"Every time they walk the streets, people stop him and call him 'cracker' and ask her why she's not with a black guy," Milligan Sr. said.

Two days before the attack, Fletcher said she was shot with paintball pellets by the same group of neighborhood aggressors.

---------------------

http://thegrio.com/2012/01/27/white-chicago-teens-beat-black-youth-over-interracial-relationship/#46165791

A 17-year-old African-American teen was beaten during a hate crime in Chicago in late December 2011, area police are now reporting. The victim, Joshua Merritt, a senior at Brother Rice High School, was attacked by three white teenage boys who attend the same institution. The assault was allegedly motivated by the black male youth starting a interracial relationship with the cousin of the youngest perpetrator.

�The (attacker) was also charged with aggravated assault for pulling a knife,� according to the Chicago Tribune.

---------------------

http://www.afroromance.com/fyooz/whatisnt-racial-about-this-interracial-couples-murder/

Four African American Marines force entry into this interracial couple�s home by pointing a short gun at him. After a short battle, they tie and gag the couple. Then these ruthless SOBs rape Jenkins and force the hubby to watch the defilement. Then they torture the couple for a number of hours before putting bullets in both of their heads. Oh! Did I forget to mention EXECUTION STYLE? Then the suspects set the house ablaze to destroy evidence.
. . .
On the wall near the couple�s master bedroom and bathroom mirror were graffiti racial remarks �N****r Lover�.

Three of your examples are attacks by African Americans on white males. That would be the equivalent of a whitey attacking a Korean guy for dating a white girl.
Are you suggesting that America should be the benchmark for acceptable behavior? I sincerely hope not. Perhaps using a country that has been more successful regarding integration and acceptance of people of different races would be more beneficial.
It seems your USA centric point of view has missed the point completely.
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:

Three of your examples are attacks by African Americans on white males. That would be the equivalent of a whitey attacking a Korean guy for dating a white girl.
Are you suggesting that America should be the benchmark for acceptable behavior? I sincerely hope not. Perhaps using a country that has been more successful regarding integration and acceptance of people of different races would be more beneficial.
It seems your USA centric point of view has missed the point completely.

So much reading comprehension fail, I don't know where to begin. How about you read the post I was responding to before you decide to say anything again?
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your posts still give examples of a minority group in America committing crimes against the majority. How is this relevant to the OP?
You're derailing the thread and trying to justify Korean behavior by nitpicking at areas of posts which aren't relevant to the OP.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda a weird combo, cause most Korean guys won't put up with the BS a white woman dishes out and white women generally don't do well in Asia period, so yeah I always give them a currious look but not a "mean mug".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: