Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GREAT gyms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first few months here I couldn't find a real gym, so I just bought a weight bench and it was a great decision. Cheaper, no travel needed, I can work out in the winter when it's freezing in my nice warm apartment, or in summer when I turn on the A/C, I can work out in the nude and let my balls stick to the plastic without worrying about what others think. It's great.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
cdninkorea: How much do you pay per month at SAP?

One month is 70,000 won, and paying for three months at once gets you a 10 day bonus.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How others workout don't really bother me as long as they're not interfering with my workout but it makes making fun of people easier when they don't know what they're doing yet strut around the gym like they own the place.

Quote:
dumbbells that go over 100lbs.

At my gym the biggest are 17kgs. By the way, do you mean 100 lbs? Because 100 kg dumbbells are pretty freaking huge.
highstreet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
How others workout don't really bother me as long as they're not interfering with my workout but it makes making fun of people easier when they don't know what they're doing yet strut around the gym like they own the place.

Quote:

At my gym the biggest are 17kgs. By the way, do you mean 100 lbs? Because 100 kg dumbbells are pretty freaking huge.

He probably means 100lbs, cause he wrote 100lbs.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gym back in Canada had them up to 150lbs.

But yeah, a minimum of 100lbs would be what I'd like to see. Unfortunately, most gyms I've seen here top out around 60lbs.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

Quote:

He probably means 100lbs, cause he wrote 100lbs.[/quote]

What the hell? Excuse me, I'm on medication.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIP FITNESS. Believe it's a chain, but I go to the one in HongDae and it's pretty nice. Even has a couple of squash courts.
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Depends what you want, but mine is perfect for me

You do what you want and if it works for you it's great. But I'm willing to bet if you did do squats and deadlifts, you'd get a better looking physique faster.
I did "body building" type of exercises for years but ever since I started doing those two exercises with heavy weights, I'm the most ripped I've ever been while not cutting weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qNJiHuQIbmM
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's an argument for the ages - are those big compound movements for everyone ?

Personally, I think that they are not. Sure, I suggest everyone to give them a shot and see how they work for you, but after some time of lifting, you may find that they do not match your body type/goals.

I've got (proportionally) narrow shoulders, wider hips, and long skinny legs (sounds sexy, huh?). While I enjoy doing Deads, I feel that they don't add a whole lot to my physique.

But to each their own.

And as we can see in this thread, people look for a variety of things when shopping around for a gym.
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ultimately it doesn't matter since you should do what you enjoy. But the vast majority (if not everybody) of people benefit from heavy compound lifts. No matter your goals or body type. Unless you have an injury that prevents you from doing those lifts of course.

Deadlifts and squats improve strength and athletic performance for most people. In my case it also helped with my posture and back pain issues that I've had for years. They should also help with your physique since heavy compound weights increase HGH levels which makes it easier to pack on muscle on other places of your body. Being ripped is just icing on the cake for me since I don't really care that much about looking good. Not to mention you're less likely to have joint problems with free weights than you'd have with machines.

Of course I'm going by what I've read online but I've read tons of blogs and websites and watched videos and a few studies as well that all say pretty much the same thing. I have yet to see anything that suggests you shouldn't do compound weights barring injury. It definitely made a difference in my life.

If you're not seeing any improvements then you could look into deadlift variations that are better for you body type. I remember reading sumo deadlifts are better for lankier guys.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gym is a crappy little hole in the wall with old gear, but I love it because its 3 minutes from my house and it's never too crowded in the morning when I like to go, and the people that go there keep to themselves and don't bother me.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Well, ultimately it doesn't matter since you should do what you enjoy. But the vast majority (if not everybody) of people benefit from heavy compound lifts. No matter your goals or body type. Unless you have an injury that prevents you from doing those lifts of course.

Deadlifts and squats improve strength and athletic performance for most people. In my case it also helped with my posture and back pain issues that I've had for years. They should also help with your physique since heavy compound weights increase HGH levels which makes it easier to pack on muscle on other places of your body. Being ripped is just icing on the cake for me since I don't really care that much about looking good. Not to mention you're less likely to have joint problems with free weights than you'd have with machines.

Of course I'm going by what I've read online but I've read tons of blogs and websites and watched videos and a few studies as well that all say pretty much the same thing. I have yet to see anything that suggests you shouldn't do compound weights barring injury. It definitely made a difference in my life.

If you're not seeing any improvements then you could look into deadlift variations that are better for you body type. I remember reading sumo deadlifts are better for lankier guys.

I have done, and do, variations of Deads. Generally speaking though, I don't find them overly great for my goals. My trunk is far thicker than my width, and deads very much thicken the trunk.

When I do them now though, I either do a boxed sumo for my glutes, or stiff legged for my hams.

Again though, I'll emphasize - not every lift is great for everybody (and their different goals).

If you're NOT interested "in looking good", then perhaps that's not a worry for you.
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I look pretty good already.

So says my mother.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha

Well, that's always important. That, and people on Facebook. Very Happy
Come at me brah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great gyms dont exist in korea...serious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: