Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf in SKorea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Golf in SKorea Reply with quote

Any golfers? Availability of courses? Price? Cost effective way to get my clubs to SKorea?

Any information at all. I've searched high and low and find no real answers. I know of Sky Golf near the airport and it's exuberantly priced. But what about the rest of the country. I've for sure spotted a ton of courses throughout the country, but it's hard to find information on them.

Thanks
figshdg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Golf in SKorea Reply with quote

zenger wrote:
Any golfers? Availability of courses? Price? Cost effective way to get my clubs to SKorea?

Any information at all. I've searched high and low and find no real answers. I know of Sky Golf near the airport and it's exuberantly priced. But what about the rest of the country. I've for sure spotted a ton of courses throughout the country, but it's hard to find information on them.

Thanks

I play a bit. There are courses here and there. They are ludicrously overpriced and, from the courses I've played on here, not very well maintained. Can't help you with your last question. Suffice to say, don't expect to be playing all that often. I would question whether it is cost effective to bring your clubs across.

You're more likely to get useful help if you post where you are going to be based.
zenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say in or around Seoul
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're nuts to even think about playing here unless its screen golf. All the courses are out the in countryside and are hugely expensive if you can get on. No such thing as muny course here. All the places are either resorts or country clubs. Figure a minimum of $200/round

If you have a connection in the USFK, you can play the courses at Osan and Kunsan bases.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my co-t is an avid golfer. He plays once a month. That's how expensive it is around here. You also have a hire a caddy.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss $17 for 18 holes and $8 for a golf cart at my local course back home, and it's better than anything I've seen here. Plus, you're not allowed to drive your own golf carts in Korea... Rolling Eyes

I was offered to play 18 holes here and it was going to cost $400, that better include a night of lodging, 3 meals, caddie, cart and 18 holes...
zenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez.

That's disheartening to hear....

How about practice facilities? Driving Ranges? From the HBO sports program on SKorean Girl Golfers looks like driving ranges (netted) are all over the country.

Or Screen golf?
Malislamusrex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised it only costs $200 a round in some places. I thought the price would be higher considering how expensive Koreans make golf sound.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of years ago I went to one of those short 9 hole golf courses, the type where you only need a few irons and a putter. It was about an hour or so by car outside of Seoul in the direction of Namyangju. Across the street from it was a country club that the Koreans I was with told me it was really expensive to play at, though they never said how much it was.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of years ago I went to one of those short 9 hole golf courses, the type where you only need a few irons and a putter. It was about an hour or so by car outside of Seoul in the direction of Namyangju. Across the street from it was a country club that the Koreans I was with told me it was really expensive to play at, though they never said how much it was.
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenger wrote:
geez.

That's disheartening to hear....

How about practice facilities? Driving Ranges? From the HBO sports program on SKorean Girl Golfers looks like driving ranges (netted) are all over the country.

Or Screen golf?

Driving ranges are definitely here. Especially in the suburbs. Don't know the prices though I've heard they aren't expensive.

Screen golf places are everywhere. Some are better than others. Once you arrive, check around your neighborhood to find one you like. They are usually around 10,000W - 15,000W. They have clubs you can use but most people bring their own. The machines have courses from all over the world but you usually have to pay extra for them (not much). Some places have moving platforms to match the lie and some have sand traps for even more realism.
tardisrider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, another thing you'll have to consider is transportation: golf courses are usually located in somewhat out-of-the-way places, so without your own transportation it might be difficult to get to (or return from) a course. Of course, it depends upon many factors, but the transportation issue just might be one thing to consider.

Incidentally, several years ago there was a big controversy about golf being only for the rich and gov't officials were officially barred from playing golf as golf courses and golfing clubs were seen as hotbeds of cronyism and backroom deals. I don't know if the rule is still in place or was ever actually enforced, but I just think it's an interesting tidbit and telling quite telling about how golf is/was perceived.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
If you have a connection in the USFK, you can play the courses at Osan and Kunsan bases.

There is also a course at Camp Walker in Daegu. For all of the US military courses, though, there is a steeper price to pay for non-SOFA personnel. The regs require that the non-SOFA person be sponsored as the guest of the SOFA person.

I used to like golf. The courses available for a reasonable price being cruddy courses have ruined it for me.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netted driving ranges are different. I have one about 200m from my apartment. It costs 7,000W per hour for unlimited balls with my membership card. Most offer clubs, although they tend to only have 5-7 iron made for shorter Koreans
Daelim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving ranges are everywhere... I went last week with a teacher from my school and had a great time. Unlimited balls for one hour like the above posted mentioned... my co worker had a membership though so we just wandered in and took a tee.

I'm going "rounding" (what Koreans call a round of golf!) next month with a few other teachers so I'll be sure to report back on the cost and the lay of the land.

Also, screen golf rooms are everywhere, cheap and great fun into the bargain!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: