Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who considers themselves successful here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
I really am a complete failure at life.

Might I suggest paragraph spaces.
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I a successful TEACHER ?

I am reminded of Teddy roosevelt's quote - "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

It's frustrating because a lot of kids don't CARE about learning English & I only see them once a week, so AM I really making a difference ???

To the ones who WANT to learn, I think I am & only time will tell. (I'm re-upping my contract for another year in March, so I'll be around to see an improvement in their English (hopefully)

Am I successful in LIFE ?

I think so. I'm doing what a lot of people only dream of doing until 'someday' when & IF they retire. I'm traveling the world, while I can. I'll never get rich as as ESL teacher or an international school teacher, but nobody goes into teaching for the money.

I recently taught the "bucket list" lesson to my kids with pics of me accomplishing things on my 'bucket list' (surfing, skydiving, scuba-diving, Grand Canyon, swimming with dolphins)

Three things on my 'bucket list' PPT were things I did WHILE in Korea ( live abroad for 1st time, ride a horse, & see the Great Wall of China ) I'll also be riding an elephant in Thailand this Winter break.

None of those 3 things wold be possible if I was still back in the USA working 3 dead end jobs, with no healthcare, driving a car with a permanent 'check engine' light on, HATING my life & living 'paycheck to paycheck'

Selling that car & MOST of my material possessions to move to Korea was THE best decision of my life.

One final thing -

@ JustinC - stressing out about bills & consideirng suicide is NO way to live. Suicide is a selfish & permanent solution to a temporary problem. Just think about your parents & friends having to 'repatriate' your body back home & dealing with the aftermath of your death.

Whatever you gotta do , DO it! : get counseling, change schools, change careers, change countries, tell the bill collectors to F off ! I'm not a religious man (in fact , they're ALL BS, but I do know life is a miracle & it's too damn short to 'kill yourself with stress.' Good luck.
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I a successful TEACHER ?

I am reminded of Teddy roosevelt's quote - "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

It's frustrating because a lot of kids don't CARE about learning English & I only see them once a week, so AM I really making a difference ???

To the ones who WANT to learn, I think I am & only time will tell. (I'm re-upping my contract for another year in March, so I'll be around to see an improvement in their English (hopefully)

Am I successful in LIFE ?

I think so. I'm doing what a lot of people only dream of doing until 'someday' when & IF they retire. I'm traveling the world, while I can. I'll never get rich as as ESL teacher or an international school teacher, but nobody goes into teaching for the money.

I recently taught the "bucket list" lesson to my kids with pics of me accomplishing things on my 'bucket list' (surfing, skydiving, scuba-diving, Grand Canyon, swimming with dolphins)

Three things on my 'bucket list' PPT were things I did WHILE in Korea ( live abroad for 1st time, ride a horse, & see the Great Wall of China ) I'll also be riding an elephant in Thailand this Winter break.

None of those 3 things wold be possible if I was still back in the USA working 3 dead end jobs, with no healthcare, driving a car with a permanent 'check engine' light on, HATING my life & living 'paycheck to paycheck'

Selling that car & MOST of my material possessions to move to Korea was THE best decision of my life.

One final thing -

@ JustinC - stressing out about bills & consideirng suicide is NO way to live. Suicide is a selfish & permanent solution to a temporary problem. Just think about your parents & friends having to 'repatriate' your body back home & dealing with the aftermath of your death.

Whatever you gotta do , DO it! : get counseling, change schools, change careers, change countries, tell the bill collectors to F off ! I'm not a religious man (in fact , they're ALL BS, but I do know life is a miracle & it's too damn short to 'kill yourself with stress.' Good luck.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who considers themselves successful here? Reply with quote

rabidcake wrote:
To me, success means that you have done whatever life goals you wanted to do (or are on your way to completing them) and also have both a steady life and a promising future.

How many of you feel that you have this in Korea?

Me.

This is all about imagining your life and then creating it the way you imagined.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Guy admits to seriously considering suicide, so you decide to kick him some more? Stay classy edward.

If I was kicking him some more I'd tell him to go ahead and do it. The guy has nothing to be suicidal about. Unless, as I said before, he's suffering from clinical depression. So he has to pull himself together. That's the best advice I can give him.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
That's the best advice I can give him.

I thought my advice about breaking up the flow of thoughts with paragraph spaces was pretty good too.
decibalsrising

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been here a few years and "financially" speaking it seems to be a dead end. The salaries havent really increased over the years and Im sure many on here make under 3000000 clear and that would be a very good paying job. Many jobs pay much less than that. Of course it excludes housing ticket etc. but there still seems to be a limit one can earn here with the exception of people holding multiple jobs or something corporate outside of teaching. Outside of teaching there isnt much one can do here and if one doesnt do privates or something on the side then there isnt much chance to make over 3000000 let alone more at a normal scool or hagwon. Im afraid even 5-10 years down the road salaries will probably be stuck at what they are now. And even if you stuck with a school for over 6 years say, you still wouldnt be getting that much more than a rookie. The hagwon figures teachers are a dime a dozen and even though they would be sad to see a long-time teacher go who asked for more money and yearly raises which should be the norm, most places would be thinking in terms of won and the cheaper the better over quality. Like I said not all places but a majority do.
decibalsrising

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been here a few years and "financially" speaking it seems to be a dead end. The salaries havent really increased over the years and Im sure many on here make under 3000000 clear and that would be a very good paying job. Many jobs pay much less than that. Of course it excludes housing ticket etc. but there still seems to be a limit one can earn here with the exception of people holding multiple jobs or something corporate outside of teaching. Outside of teaching there isnt much one can do here and if one doesnt do privates or something on the side then there isnt much chance to make over 3000000 let alone more at a normal scool or hagwon. Im afraid even 5-10 years down the road salaries will probably be stuck at what they are now. And even if you stuck with a school for over 6 years say, you still wouldnt be getting that much more than a rookie. The hagwon figures teachers are a dime a dozen and even though they would be sad to see a long-time teacher go who asked for more money and yearly raises which should be the norm, most places would be thinking in terms of won and the cheaper the better over quality. Like I said not all places but a majority do.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I had a good fortune to meet a man named Rene Rivkin. He's passed away now, god rest his soul, but he did tell me something that made sense. "...In the future, jobs that will pay will be jobs that needs face-to-face contact. e.g. teaching, ..." I can't remember others jobs he mentioned. If success is being one step ahead of others, then I think we are, for the moment.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, really hard question. I think the word "failure" is a bit harsh. When I was teaching, I definitely had long periods of feeling like I was just "spinning my wheels". Now, that can *feel* like failure, but deep down you kind of know that it isn't. You just feel stagnant really.

Now that I am and moving more and more away from teaching, I can look back and take stock of what made me feel that way.

1. Teaching ESL in Korea sends a huge mixed signal to almost everyone:

On the one hand, you're brought over here to fulfill this supposed English craze. On the other hand, work environments are rarely "professional". At the most they are usually congenial. What do I mean by that? At lunch, what do you talk about with fellow teachers 90% of the time--something whacky a student did or said, or the latest developments in educational research and/or how to be a better teacher?

I ask because there's a big difference. One of those environments fosters growth as a professional, while the other simply makes you feel like your job "ain't half bad". I've found that in Korea, most environments are simply friendly, but absolutely don't foster or encourage bettering ones-self as a professional.

2. Salaries are just dead in the water:

It's hard to feel like you're being taken seriously when a person who has been teaching for 3+ years can earn as much (or as little) as someone fresh off the plane.

Salaries are basically the same now as when I arrived 6.5 YEARS ago. That's insane. Basically every cost of living in Korea has increased except teacher salaries. The upper limit of a teaching job, on average, is still 3.5 million won. And now that housing "subsidies" are taxed, most people are technically making less.

3. ESL teachers are generally misused:

Back when I was doing SMOE, I absolutely grew to abhor this practice of having one person teach 11 classes once a week. What is the point? This is language, not art. Until public schools use teachers properly (just take the cream of the crop and teach them intensely OR have multiple teachers at one school), ESL teachers will just continue to be a wastefully used resource.

So, in all, it was really Teaching that was making me feel like I was kind of wasting time in Korea. Now that I'm moving away from it, I feel like my life is pretty damned good. Meeting interesting people, doing interesting things all the time...yeah, life's good.

Edit: this isn't bashing professional teachers, I hope. If you are a teacher that is happy in their job and growing professionally, AWESOME! The world needs more like you!
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore previous post; had a good day today and I was just annoyed at the thread OP. Really, success is so subjective and I get frustrated with the people claiming it's what you have, not who you are. Really, you cannot be a complete shit just because you've lots of money/toys.
oppa637

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually pretty happy. Could use more friends but that's it.

I got scouted for a company, offered a home, getting a promotion in January, have a loving girlfriend of whom is very open minded, able to have a very comfortable living and will have quite a bit saved up when I decide to go back to the states.

I do hate the cold, and do need some more activity friends but overall, I think I'm doing alright.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on much more lucrative prospects in order to come to Korea with my lover, fresh out of university.

Am I successful? Well, I'm certainly reaching a lot of the goals I set out for myself. Korea has been a placeholder for me, that time between being an undergrad and being a grad student that's so important in your career development.

I've been able to acquire language skills, cooking skills, and travel experience. I've made the transition fully from adolescence to adulthood - in every facet of my life, from lifestyle to finances. I'm beginning to seriously plan for a future, in Canada.

But hell, I couldn't stay here long-term.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a really well written piece by a teacher who'd married and stayed in Japan and then went back to SF - titled "Everyone goes back" about ten years ago. I wish I had saved it then, every English teacher should read it. Very insightful. Yes, there are a few that stay until they die of old age related health problems, but they are in the minority.

It was an amazing article. Damn it man, someone's got to have it on their HD.
happiness

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been here for 13 years, I was one of those guys who were a kind of otaku, went to japan, but ended up here and stayed. Im not married, but Ive had a few gf's (and one now) who wanted to change that (God bless em). Ive run this over in my head for so long and in the end, I guess what people mean by successful is:

a good career
married with kids
a nice house
a car
a lot of money in the bank maybe / financial security
people respecting your job position

right?

well, we've seen the past few years, all of that can go right out of the window, and quickly. downsized, divorced, foreclosed, wrecked, debt, fired. Wow, that sounds negative, but I guess its been more on peoples minds since the economy took a downturn. Korea now has floods of college grads coming here, thats said, I still hear quite a few dont finish their contracts/cant hack it overseas etc and leave. It used to be ALOT easier to get a good position, its still easy if youre open enough (and youre in country), its all about the timing Id say. I just relocated my posisiton and the new one is better than the last one, but Id put that down to timing and knowing what I wanted. I got offered some crap places too. Im grateful..

BUT the question is "Am I successful?" Well, I live how I want. I may not as have as much money as I have in other times (spent alot this year), but I have some cool toys for myself. I am good to my parents. Respect? I never wanted that anyway. I speak 3 languages rather well, I read alot. Ive been offered some really pt jobs if I wasnt so busy or uninterested, Id be with fatter wallet, and Im grateful for that too.

For people complaining about wages not going up, why would they? theres a ton of people willing to work for less and they do. BUT, theres a ton of opportunities here, and you have to go get them. Are you whining the visa police will come after you for looking around? Well, thats your choice, (but in 13 years here, Ive only heard of them walking around in Haeundae like in 2007, anyway). Theres a ton of opportunity here. Still alot of business to be made. You just have to find it. The high salary jobs can be there for the e2, but you have to go after them and make yourself desirable to them.

ok, then. am I successful? I dont know, but Im having a hell of a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: