Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who considers themselves successful here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
If you choose to break the law through tax evasion/illegal work practices that's your own affair but setting yourself up as some kind of role model giving advice to new people coming here and being congratulated by other idiots is a bit much. That's all

Quote:
I want to let all newbs to know that it can be done with hard work and self-discipline. Yes, I had to bust my rear-end for first 3 years to save 100K (seed money). Once you been in Korea long enough, you'll eventually figure out other ways to earn extra money.

Don't understand where you're getting all these about me. But again, you're making me laugh even harder as you go along.

Sounds like you need a long vacation. Party on, buddy.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:
Highly successful American ESL teacher in Korea. Michael A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAv7fePH1GU&feature=plcp

lol. this is a classic case of strange annoying guy making it in another country because he couldn't at home. i've seen this guy out and about and seen his crappy videos he makes. a true poster child for the shorts and sandal awkward foreigner crowd.

right, this guy may be just another circus monkey seeking publicity in an asian country.

@FDNY ->
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ks.html

This guy looks pretty young and when he goes back to whatever his native country is and puts down that he was made an honorary citizen of Seoul on his resume it will impress his potential employers. All of you can laugh at him and call him awkward but he came to Seoul and made a small but noticeable impact on the city. He did it on his own and was recognized by the local government for it. I don't keep up with him, but I think that's impressive. I would say he was very successful. I would say he has a lot more to show for his stay here than all the "cool" folks with "swag" that are hitting up the hot spots in hongdae OR all the "mature" folks who sit in cafes and scowl at the drunken foreigners trying to relive their college days.

A lot of the posts on here come off like a bunch of guys sitting at a bar talking about the right way to become a millionaire or pick up a girl, while ridiculing the people that are out there performing and getting things done. I have to say I have received some of the worst advice in my life from some of the foreigners I have met in Korea. Everybody here seems to know how to fix the world and get things done, but nobody is doing any of those things. There are far too many narcissistic personalities here that can't recognize the good situation they have in Korea.

I feel pretty successful right now, but I won't know if coming here was a good decision until I settle down into a permanent job. However, I have met plenty of foreigners here that have settled permanently and are very successful by the typical western definition (house, car, wife, kids, stability) - and yes their jobs revolve around ESL.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't understand where you're getting all these about me

Maybe from what you said here.

Quote:
Once you been in Korea long enough, you'll eventually figure out other ways to earn extra money.

Quote:
But again, you're making me laugh even harder as you go along.

Yeah I'm sure you are laughing away and you're not denying anything either. And what's with all this 'party on' crap as well? A few pages ago you were telling people not to party
newb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Don't understand where you're getting all these about me

Maybe from what you said here.

Quote:
Once you been in Korea long enough, you'll eventually figure out other ways to earn extra money.

Where?

Quote:
But again, you're making me laugh even harder as you go along.

Yeah I'm sure you are laughing away and you're not denying anything either. And what's with all this party on crap as well? A few pages ago you were telling people not to party

Sir, I'm denying what you're accusing me of.

I laugh because you sound like you just woke up with a terrible hangover.

Party on, sir.

Last edited by newb on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sir, I'm denying what you're accusing me of.

In that case I unreservedly apologise for everything I've said.
FDNY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabidcake wrote:
FDNY wrote:
Ain\'t nobody said Canadians were brainiacs. However that article is pretty disturbing.

Expected Return = Probability X Wager

So, if you buy $100 worth of lottery tickets and the probability is 1:13,900,000, then you can expect to make $0.00000719424

Yeah, pretty dumb, eh?

Nothing demonstrates lack of intelligence better than showing EV (expected value).

Sorry, I thought you were ripping into me for regurgitating Stats 101.

I have heard of some people buying $100,000.00 worth of tickets. The expected return of this is at 1:13,900,000 is $0.007 Almost one cent! It boggles the mind.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
FDNY wrote:
Maybe I'm remembering things with rose colored glasses. That is definitely possible. I'm also from BC.

According to this, one-third of your countrymen are retarded (at least in terms of financial savvy):

A whopping 32 per cent of Canadians aged 45 to 64 said they expect lottery winnings to support them in their retirement versus 34 per cent who will fund their retirement with savings and investments, according to a 2011 survey by Environics Research and TD Waterhouse.

You would have to have some type of mental deficiency to believe articles like that.
OneWayTraffic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
rabidcake wrote:
FDNY wrote:
Ain\'t nobody said Canadians were brainiacs. However that article is pretty disturbing.

Expected Return = Probability X Wager

So, if you buy $100 worth of lottery tickets and the probability is 1:13,900,000, then you can expect to make $0.00000719424

Yeah, pretty dumb, eh?

Nothing demonstrates lack of intelligence better than showing EV (expected value).

Sorry, I thought you were ripping into me for regurgitating Stats 101.

I have heard of some people buying $100,000.00 worth of tickets. The expected return of this is at 1:13,900,000 is $0.007 Almost one cent! It boggles the mind.

No it's significantly higher than that. Because each $1 is a chance at the big prize of whatever it is.

As I said before on page 5 the expected value will be roughly half what you paid. Especially after you count up all the minor prizes.

It's still silly money. It's one thing to play it, another thing to confuse it for serious investing.

Trust me, I know my math.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
...compare your life to many, many people in western countries who have a yard, detached house, boat, scenery, clean air, job perks, maternity leave, flex hours, personal days, parks, uncrowded beaches, hiking, mountains, canoes, summer camps, etc.

It's unfortunate that many I've met working here deceive themselves about "what life back home could be like" - e.g., the grass is always greener syndrome. In the end, however, I think a lot of us wind up unhappy because we're so busy chasing other people's expectations.

Life back home, wherever that may be, brings with it all kinds of other pressures, responsibilities and hassles. Just different ones than we are faced with here.

Are long-termers in Korea losers? That's a personal decision that one must make for themselves, but just from reading this thread, it's clear that everyone's personal situation is unique.

Some long-termers in Korea are losers, according to how some here would define that, while others have been quite successful - e.g., saving for retirement, earning advanced degrees, finding a spouse, starting a family, etc.

But success and what that constitutes is different from person to person. So it might even be an impossible question to answer.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
FDNY wrote:
...compare your life to many, many people in western countries who have a yard, detached house, boat, scenery, clean air, job perks, maternity leave, flex hours, personal days, parks, uncrowded beaches, hiking, mountains, canoes, summer camps, etc.

It's unfortunate that many I've met working here deceive themselves about "what life back home could be like" - e.g., the grass is always greener syndrome. In the end, however, I think a lot of us wind up unhappy because we're so busy chasing other people's expectations.

Life back home, wherever that may be, brings with it all kinds of other pressures, responsibilities and hassles. Just different ones than we are faced with here.

Are long-termers in Korea losers? That's a personal decision that one must make for themselves, but just from reading this thread, it's clear that everyone's personal situation is unique.

Some long-termers in Korea are losers, according to how some here would define that, while others have been quite successful - e.g., saving for retirement, earning advanced degrees, finding a spouse, starting a family, etc.

But success and what that constitutes is different from person to person. So it might even be an impossible question to answer.

Well said. This is a perspective I completely agree with.
timhorton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see people define success exclusive of money and material things. Then, we would be able to see meaningful perspectives of true success. Idea
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timhorton wrote:
It would be interesting to see people define success exclusive of money and material things. Then, we would be able to see meaningful perspectives of true success. Idea

This, well said.
methdxman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Quote:
I earn more than 130 million in KR

Per year?
Per month? (works out to roughly 10.8M Won per month)
Since you arrived there and over a number of years?

Gross per year, but I'm on expat pay...
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expat pay is the only way to go. Cool
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decibalsrising wrote:
Im curious as to what other jobs, without getting too specific, some posters have to make
10Mil.+ a month? Besides have your own business, how can one increase their 2.5-3.5 mil. average teaching salary here?

I'm making $12,295,833 won/month salary at the current exchange rate (yes I like to be exact!). Cool

In order to make money in KR you need to already have skills and then enter KR via a global corporation. Entering KR first and and then trying a land a job doesn't seem to work.

I've seen people try to "level up" here, who have good skills outside of teaching English (like computer programmer, finance, etc) but it's near impossible. There are no jobs here other than English teacher / military, for the most part. But if you work for Microsoft/Apple/Whatever back home, you can work out a deal where you get transferred to one of their foreign offices. My route was 1) pick such a corporate, 2) get hired in US office, 3) negotiate move to KR, done.

This is the awesomeness of free travel and adventure while making big bucks and is a mega win/win for you, plus cool firms mostly don't care where you are these days as long as you get the job done.

...the other cool route would be to do a job you can do anywhere (like web design) from KR, be your own boss, loads of fredom, make decent money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: