Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who considers themselves successful here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
I also like Seoul, but I have to question you about the low cost of living point. You make a lot of money, about 40 percent more than I make as a teacher, and that might be part of your logic. But seeing how gas is about $8 a gallon, a decent Western meal easily costs more than $20, and a proper, Western-sized apartment with a good interior, features, etc. costs at least $2,000 a month, I'm not so sure if Seoul has a low cost of living. I guess it's not too expensive compared to London, New York, and Tokyo, but compared to almost any other city, I'd say it is.


Yeah, it's all relative. It's $6 for a huge healthy Korean meal cooked by some adjuma (I could never cook at home for that cheap). Taxi/subway is cheap here, I don't drive. Housing is the largest expense but compared to the US city I was living in before it's cheap. Overall things are very convenient too which is nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
It seems like he chose to come to Korea, so he wasn't sent here more or less against his will like some company transfers are. And Seoul may not be the nicest city in the world to live in, but I'd contend that it's one of the better ones, at least if you like huge, bustling metropolises. And if you're making more than US $10,000 a month, well, it's going to be even nicer.


Don't kid yourself Fustian. You and I are both here for the money and not much else. If I could get the same job and make the same amount of money in most cities in the developed world, and I could get my wife to agree, I'd be off like a shot. You like to put a good spin on Seoul but basically your dreams of becoming a millionaire celebrity test-prep hustler could not be achieved in any other country. This guy, however, seems to be saying he works for a 'cool' company that would let him work where he wants, presumably for the same financial package, and without any connections to Korea, he chose to come here. That's the bit I find difficult to believe.


Q: Why are you so weird and skeptical about everything? I find that liars have a hard time believing anyone.

Q: Another thing I don't get: you guys are here for the money?? What? People told me there would be a lot of English teachers here. I thought they would be people who wanted to live a free world-adventurer sort of life, and would be loving their time abroad. Needless to say I was shocked at the venomous retardation I found here on Dave's.

How can you be here for the money, teaching English doesn't pay much right?

Anyhow it's amusing because when I talk to guys making six digits in some boring cube in the states they are envious of this lifestyle, yet you guys are HERE NOW and seem to hate it and want to go back THERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen man. I think some people on here have a hard time believing what you say, because you, well, you come off as kind of an idiot, or a gyopo guy (not necessarily equating those two things). No offense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madoka



Joined: 27 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:

Yeah, it's all relative. It's $6 for a huge healthy Korean meal cooked by some adjuma (I could never cook at home for that cheap). Taxi/subway is cheap here, I don't drive. Housing is the largest expense but compared to the US city I was living in before it's cheap. Overall things are very convenient too which is nice.


I love the fact that I can order at all hours of the night and have food delivered. No tips, no delivery fees, and they'll pick up the dirty dishes! Incredibly cheap taxis and convenient subway and bus routes. I don't have to pay gardeners, pool cleaners, alarm service, etc. My apartment in particular has 24 hour concierge service always manned by 2-4 English speaking employees as well as a maintenance crew. There are several restaurants and a 24 hour convenience store inside my building.

I find that I can get a lot of work done in Korea, as I am isolated from every one I know, don't like the TV shows, have no phone, and have already done all the tourist things. With nothing else to do, I can crank out the work.

I like it enough that I bought a small place in Seoul and come a few weeks every year. Any more than two months though, and I find that I start to go stir crazy.

KimchiNinja wrote:
Q: Why are you so weird and skeptical about everything? I find that liars have a hard time believing anyone.


Well you've now been introduced to edwardcatflap. Now that he knows you make more money than him, he will harass you till the end of time.

KimchiNinja wrote:
I thought they would be people who wanted to live a free world-adventurer sort of life, and would be loving their time abroad. Needless to say I was shocked at the venomous retardation I found here on Dave's.


Every NET I've met in real life has been pretty cool and there are plenty of good people on Dave's. However, there is a vocal minority of idiots, racists, kooks and generally miserable wankers on Dave's. Many of them are unemployable in their home countries, because people will quickly recognize their jackassery. So they use the language/culture barrier to help them get jobs and sometimes girlfriends and spouses in Korea. But then they are trapped in Korea and come on to Dave's to express their petty frustrations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Q: Why are you so weird and skeptical about everything? I find that liars have a hard time believing anyone.


Well you've now been introduced to edwardcatflap. Now that he knows you make more money than him, he will harass you till the end of time.



I was actually talking to Fustaincourdroy. And talking of harrassing, that's about the third time you've made an unprovoked attack on me in the last three weeks. What's your reason for harassing people? Is it because I have a go at Korea occasionally, or because I took the piss out of you boasting about your cars about three years ago, or do you just have a generally unpleasant nature?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
madoka



Joined: 27 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:

I was actually talking to Fustaincourdroy. And talking of harrassing, that's about the third time you've made an unprovoked attack on me in the last three weeks. What's your reason for harassing people?


Check both our posting histories edward. For an entire year you made snide insults about me for no reason before I started to respond back in kind. The only reason you made those comments was because you learned I made more money than you. It's the same reason you're compelled to say negative things about fustaincourdroy and now kimchininja. That's very insecure of you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check both our posting histories edward. For an entire year you made snide insults about me for no reason before I started to respond back in kind. The only reason you made those comments was because you learned I made more money than you. It's the same reason you're compelled to say negative things about fustaincourdroy and now kimchininja. That's very insecure of you.


If you checked my posting histories you'd see I make considerably more than fustiancourdroy and about the same as Kimchininja in a good month so there goes that theory. I meet people everyday who make more money than I do but unless they boast about it in an irritating way it doesn't bother me a bit. If you really think that the only reason most people on here dislike you is because of how much money you make, you're seriously lacking self-awareness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
madoka



Joined: 27 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:

If you checked my posting histories you'd see I make considerably more than fustiancourdroy and about the same as Kimchininja in a good month so there goes that theory. I meet people everyday who make more money than I do but unless they boast about it in an irritating way it doesn't bother me a bit.


Honestly, I do not know what fustiancourdroy makes. But it seems like you care a lot about that. Now you've set me up to once again to show your hypocrisy regarding your dislike of irritating boasting in these forums:

edwardcatflap wrote:
I make about 6 million a month net (legally) which works out to about 50,000 pounds a year gross in the UK. So I consider myself quite well-off. We're worth about a million USD.


Now it's time for you to disavow any knowledge of writing the above and at the same time remind us that you make much more than that. So very predictable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
I make about 6 million a month net (legally) which works out to about 50,000 pounds a year gross in the UK. So I consider myself quite well-off. We're worth about a million USD.


Now it's time for you to disavow any knowledge of writing the above and at the same time remind us that you make much more than that. So very predictable.


Yes I did make 6 million back whenever that was and nowadays I make considerably more. People don't stay at the same salary scale the whole of their lives you know. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I do not know what fustiancourdroy makes


So how do you know he makes more than me then? Duh


Last edited by edwardcatflap on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Edward, you need to take a chill pill. Idea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Listen man. I think some people on here have a hard time believing what you say, because you, well, you come off as kind of an idiot, or a gyopo guy (not necessarily equating those two things). No offense.


Dump people act smart, smart people act dumb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
[

How can you be here for the money, teaching English doesn't pay much right?

Anyhow it's amusing because when I talk to guys making six digits in some boring cube in the states they are envious of this lifestyle, yet you guys are HERE NOW and seem to hate it and want to go back THERE!



It all depends on how efficiently you can market yourself. Teaching English can and does (in a number of cases) pay well. Having an E-2 does limit you in some ways but there are always legal loopholes to be exploited.


As for your second point. When I stop liking what I'm doing...I may go back or more likely to another country. I wouldn't have stuck this long around if I hated it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Q: Why are you so weird and skeptical about everything? I find that liars have a hard time believing anyone.


Well you've now been introduced to edwardcatflap. Now that he knows you make more money than him, he will harass you till the end of time.


Oh great.

madoka wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
I thought they would be people who wanted to live a free world-adventurer sort of life, and would be loving their time abroad. Needless to say I was shocked at the venomous retardation I found here on Dave's.


Every NET I've met in real life has been pretty cool and there are plenty of good people on Dave's. However, there is a vocal minority of idiots, racists, kooks and generally miserable wankers on Dave's. Many of them are unemployable in their home countries, because people will quickly recognize their jackassery. So they use the language/culture barrier to help them get jobs and sometimes girlfriends and spouses in Korea. But then they are trapped in Korea and come on to Dave's to express their petty frustrations.


That's what I kinda figured, the happy people don't talk much cause they are busy having a life. Renews my faith in humanity!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, there is a vocal minority of idiots, racists, kooks and generally miserable wankers on Dave's. Many of them are unemployable in their home countries, because people will quickly recognize their jackassery. So they use the language/culture barrier to help them get jobs and sometimes girlfriends and spouses in Korea. But then they are trapped in Korea and come on to Dave's to express their petty frustrations.


Does this kind of discourse remind you of a happy person? Does this kind of attitude really renew your faith in humanity?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
newb



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill guys. Don't need to argue and duel over who's making the most money. Just get together and compare your books over a beer. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International