Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The one cultural difference you wish Korea understood
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
A lot of the women act like babies, especially when they don't get their way.

That's kinda cute though, let's keep that and ease down with the male-on-male upper thigh touching.

Ew. Yup, cute if you are into dating ten year olds. I prefer dating actual women who don't resort to pathetic childlike manipulation to get what they want. I had a chick who tried that game once. I told her how annoying her game playing was and she shut up pretty quickly, lulz!
Gorf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Korea is not the norm. Women not wearing bras or wearing only track pants (without matching butt-cover skirts) isn't shocking anywhere except conservative countries. Imagine what a Korean person living in Brazil must think!

It comes from some recent real life examples: The other day I heard a guy chastising his girlfriend because she was wearing yoga pants and you could see her ass quite clearly, albeit she had a long-ish shirt on as well. Today, my girlfriend told me her coworker decided not to wear a bra, and she was shocked and asked if people in the west did that. I explained to her that it might get attention some places, it's not something to write home about. Also, yes, foreigners know how to use chop sticks, eat spicy food, whatever. Koreans don't understand that their country is not the norm, and project their cultural isolation upon all other countries is a weird, reverse Confucianism.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

That's kinda cute though, let's keep that and ease down with the male-on-male upper thigh touching.

Ew. Yup, cute if you are into dating ten year olds. I prefer dating actual women who don't resort to pathetic childlike manipulation to get what they want.

Meh, I don't mind. What else are they going to do? In the West they scream and yell, and get a lawyer...manipulation to the extreme. Women manipulate to attempt to get the guy to do what they want because they aren't self sufficient like men. At least being cutesy about their desires makes it a bit more fun.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:

Although this is essentially a Korea-bashing thread at heart, the approach being taken, of saying what we wish Koreans just got about us foreigners is at least somewhat novel. Doing the standard-fare whiny Korean chick complaint has nothing to do with cultural understanding on the part of the whiny Korean chicks.

KimchiNinja wrote:
People don't stand too close to me here in KR though. Are you talking about male family members in KR fondling your leg and stuff? That happens. And hand holding. Someone disturbing I guess.

With the touching thing no, I'm actually talking about senior staff. Once the soju starts flowing they can get touchy-feely.

As for personal space, I've ranted rather thoroughly about that over the years here. It's actually even worse than it used to be because half the people walking around have their faces buried in their phones. I was standing in line today at Burger King and some dumb broad talking to her coworker felt the need to bumble around while chatting. When she got a little too close, I asked her to knock it off.

I was just standing in place, practically a statue, keeping my distance. Why did she feel the need to consume so much space with her presence? Thankfully, she did indeed knock it off and miraculously managed to stay in place the rest of the time she was in line.

That's just today, during my lunch break. I'll have a few incidents again on the commute home. And another one tomorrow morning. And on, and on, and on...
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That not everything needs to be done with as much noise as humanly possible. In most things, Westerners are taught that it's desirable to minimum the noise you make around others. Closing your apartment door? Do it quietly. Answering your phone? Do it at a moderate volume. Moving your furniture at 3am? Try not to drag it over the floor? Watching tv? Try not to set it at the maximum volume. Holding a meeting in a small classroom at school? Is the microphone really necessary? Want to sell your potatoes and bananas? Is a bongo truck and megaphone really the best way to go about doing it?

Generally I wish they would understand that some people respect and appreciate peace and quiet.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our fondness for arguing. Sometimes me and the mates have been in the middle of some great debates and the Korean Buzz Killington we're with gets all upset about it and tells us to calm down. Obviously, I'm the type that enjoys debating and arguing. This isn't universal of course and I'm sure there are some Koreans that like to argue as well, but most really don't understand the fondness for debate.

Quote:
That not everything needs to be done with as much noise as humanly possible. In most things, Westerners are taught that it's desirable to minimum the noise you make around others. Closing your apartment door? Do it quietly. Answering your phone? Do it at a moderate volume. Moving your furniture at 3am? Try not to drag it over the floor? Watching tv? Try not to set it at the maximum volume. Holding a meeting in a small classroom at school? Is the microphone really necessary? Want to sell your potatoes and bananas? Is a bongo truck and megaphone really the best way to go about doing it?

Are you serious? This from the land of loud exhausts, 2000 watt subwoofers, and MORE POWER! The land of New Yorkers and Bostonians? The land of shooting guns into the air?

Quote:
That Korea is not the norm. Women not wearing bras or wearing only track pants (without matching butt-cover skirts) isn't shocking anywhere except conservative countries

Yeah, but conservative countries account for a huge chunk of the world.

There was an article awhile back that coined the term WEIRDs (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic) and how contrary to our beliefs, WE are the "odd" ones and those non-white, HS educated, agrarian, poor or middle class, and coming from authoritarian regimes are the "normal" people.

In terms of stuff like conservative family values and the like, Koreans are far more towards the norm. Even a Brazil, which may have liberal attitudes towards dress and such, views things like "living with your family" as normal.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:

KimchiNinja wrote:
People don't stand too close to me here in KR though. Are you talking about male family members in KR fondling your leg and stuff? That happens. And hand holding. Somewhat disturbing I guess.

With the touching thing no, I'm actually talking about senior staff. Once the soju starts flowing they can get touchy-feely.

Oh right, that. All chicks in my office, they can fondle me all they want...except for the drooling librarian looking one w adjuma-perm, she's out of luck.

But I've got this perverted uncle (that sounds bad) that feels the need to always get all touchy when he's drinking, it's like he read a book on how to bond with people but massively misinterpreted. I think he repeats "people like me, they really do" in the mirror each morning while practicing his fondling technique.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

There was an article awhile back that coined the term WEIRDs (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic) and how contrary to our beliefs, WE are the "odd" ones and those non-white, HS educated, agrarian, poor or middle class, and coming from authoritarian regimes are the "normal" people.

In terms of stuff like conservative family values and the like, Koreans are far more towards the norm. Even a Brazil, which may have liberal attitudes towards dress and such, views things like "living with your family" as normal.

^ Smart person award.
Zackback

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not freaking out about about me jogging shirtless.
I'll never forget the day one summer when I went on a 30 kilometer run (almost 19 miles) really early to avoid the intense heat. I sweated alot anyway. Well it was slightly before 5am and the streets were virtually deserted. Some guy gave me a stupid snarl and decided to reprimand me. I returned his early holiday greetings with a few choice words (quite loudly with of course alot of authority) and he walked away grumbling.
What an idiot.

Last edited by Zackback on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STRANGERS, QUIT TOUCHING, OR TRYING TO TOUCH, MY DAUGHTER!!!

I was at a watch store recently and an old guy quickly grabbed my daughter and kissed her on the cheek. I wanted to kick the guy in the head for that (and my wife would have started a scene if she'd been there). In all honesty, I probably should have.
alongway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
That dogs have emotional, social and material needs. Owning a dog is not akin to owning a table, a sofa or a pair of shoes. It is not okay to tie it up for its entire life on a two foot leash. It has needs and rights, and its owner has a moral obligation to treat it with decency. If you can't do that, you have no business owning it.

Since this is a thread about Korean cultural differences one can only assume that you're implying that this is a uniquely Korean cultural habit.

The one cultural difference I can't get by, is how supposedly educated people can be so utterly clueless and expect to be treated with respect, unfortunately that's an internal cultural difference, maybe it doesn't fit.

This kind of education is free:
Google

There is plenty of pet and animal abuse in other countries, and it's not always punished like some people would lead you to believe.

Does it make it right here? No. Does it make it some kind of Korean cultural habit? No. Does it reflect poorly on you for trying to label common negative human behaviour as something solely Korean? Yes.. makes it look like you're just another Dave's troll looking for an excuse.
nero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
nero wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

Ew. Yup, cute if you are into dating ten year olds. I prefer dating actual women who don't resort to pathetic childlike manipulation to get what they want.

Meh, I don't mind. What else are they going to do? In the West they scream and yell, and get a lawyer...manipulation to the extreme. Women manipulate to attempt to get the guy to do what they want because they aren't self sufficient like men. At least being cutesy about their desires makes it a bit more fun.

Then you've been dating the wrong women and lack the sense or ability to attract someone who is cool and 'self sufficient.' I have never been with a woman who would even threaten to get a lawyer or any bs like that.
That is really sad that you see women as either babies or harpies.

Back on track...I wish Koreans understood the idea of rebelling. Here is seems to be a fashion statement or a facade, with no true 'F you!' feeling behind it.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
STRANGERS, QUIT TOUCHING, OR TRYING TO TOUCH, MY DAUGHTER!!!

I was at a watch store recently and an old guy quickly grabbed my daughter and kissed her on the cheek. I wanted to kick the guy in the head for that (and my wife would have started a scene if she'd been there). In all honesty, I probably should have.

Oh that's a good one. I will post from the perspective of my woman who is Korean.

She thinks this is really weird. Like why are Westerners so afraid and think everyone is a terrorist, kidnapper and rapist all in one? It's natural for a kid to grow up trusting the other people in the village because the other people in the village show the child kindness. That is a good thing for the kid. And it's why the US people are the isolated alienated way they are. My woman gave up doing this while in the US cause people freak out "don't touch my kid arghhhh!". She's a teacher and likes kids, kids like her, who cares.

Anyhow she thought it was odd. I think it's kinda odd too.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
nero wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

Then you've been dating the wrong women and lack the sense or ability to attract someone who is cool and 'self sufficient.' I have never been with a woman who would even threaten to get a lawyer or any bs like that.
That is really sad that you see women as either babies or harpies.

^ Dumb person award 3x score.

Thanks for the sympathy. (^_*)

Yes this is the western value of "self-sufficiency", "strong Amercian woman", got it, that's one thing to value, it's not univeral especially since women are not self-sufficient in their natural form.

It's a known thing about American women. When speaking about stuff that exists I'm not saying I have experienced it, becuase I'm not dumb, but lots of Amercian guys have experienced it. If you haven't that cool.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's seems extra exciting today? Dude this place is on fire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: