Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The one cultural difference you wish Korea understood
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
nero wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
nero wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
A lot of the women act like babies, especially when they don't get their way.

That's kinda cute though, let's keep that and ease down with the male-on-male upper thigh touching.

Ew. Yup, cute if you are into dating ten year olds. I prefer dating actual women who don't resort to pathetic childlike manipulation to get what they want.

Meh, I don't mind. What else are they going to do? In the West they scream and yell, and get a lawyer...manipulation to the extreme. Women manipulate to attempt to get the guy to do what they want because they aren't self sufficient like men. At least being cutesy about their desires makes it a bit more fun.

Then you've been dating the wrong women and lack the sense or ability to attract someone who is cool and 'self sufficient.' I have never been with a woman who would even threaten to get a lawyer or any bs like that.
That is really sad that you see women as either babies or harpies.

^ Dumb person award 3x score.

Thanks for the sympathy. (^_*)

Yes this is the western value of "self-sufficiency", "strong Amercian woman", got it, that's one thing to value, it's not univeral especially since women are not self-sufficient in their natural form.

It's a known thing about American women. When speaking about stuff that exists I'm not saying I have experienced it, becuase I'm not dumb, but lots of Amercian guys have experienced it. If you haven't that cool.

^ dumb.

Women are just as complex as men are. There are weak, fragile men who are entirely unselfsufficient, just as there are weak, fragile women who aren't self-sufficient. There are also strong, self-sufficient men and women who rely on themselves and only themselves.

Almost everyone is somewhere in-between.

What I find abhorrent and dumb about your posts, kimchininja, is the implication all men are 'x' and all women are 'y', and 'y' is a bad thing to be. Especially if you're a man. Beyond misogynist drivel, you're also hurting men.

Also, in my natural form I'm a godamn T-Rex.

Didn't you know that all women are animorphs? The sexy is just a disguise.

Seriously though, what the hell is a woman's 'natural form' ?
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic;

that Western teachers will not just automatically assimilate Korean customs,

teaching styles and work habits. Westerners will be who they are.

Not saying Western ways are better or worse, nor are Eastern ways better

or worse. They are just different.

Expecting Western teachers to adopt traditional Korean approaches to

education is like asking horses to act like chickens. It will never work.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your best not to fart on the bus. I think it's just as bad in the US buses, the difference is the Kimchi smell.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Our fondness for arguing. Sometimes me and the mates have been in the middle of some great debates and the Korean Buzz Killington we're with gets all upset about it and tells us to calm down. Obviously, I'm the type that enjoys debating and arguing. This isn't universal of course and I'm sure there are some Koreans that like to argue as well, but most really don't understand the fondness for debate.

Quote:
That not everything needs to be done with as much noise as humanly possible. In most things, Westerners are taught that it's desirable to minimum the noise you make around others. Closing your apartment door? Do it quietly. Answering your phone? Do it at a moderate volume. Moving your furniture at 3am? Try not to drag it over the floor? Watching tv? Try not to set it at the maximum volume. Holding a meeting in a small classroom at school? Is the microphone really necessary? Want to sell your potatoes and bananas? Is a bongo truck and megaphone really the best way to go about doing it?

Are you serious? This from the land of loud exhausts, 2000 watt subwoofers, and MORE POWER! The land of New Yorkers and Bostonians? The land of shooting guns into the air?

Quote:
That Korea is not the norm. Women not wearing bras or wearing only track pants (without matching butt-cover skirts) isn't shocking anywhere except conservative countries

Yeah, but conservative countries account for a huge chunk of the world.

There was an article awhile back that coined the term WEIRDs (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic) and how contrary to our beliefs, WE are the "odd" ones and those non-white, HS educated, agrarian, poor or middle class, and coming from authoritarian regimes are the "normal" people.

In terms of stuff like conservative family values and the like, Koreans are far more towards the norm. Even a Brazil, which may have liberal attitudes towards dress and such, views things like "living with your family" as normal.

Sure, why not? I'd agree western democracy is extraordinary. Freedom is odd to the enslaved.

As for Brazil, those Roman Catholics know how to keep the masses down. But I'd say conservatism there is more akin to macho BS. Big man in the barrio, beating his woman. It's too bad that's not weird.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: The one cultural difference you wish Korea understood Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:

for me..

The concept of personal Space

Applies to Thais on Intercity buses. I've never had that problem with Koreans. Thais do not understand that there is a space that you have paid for.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The personal space issue I agree with. However 2 feet might be a bit much for that ole personal bubble.

I would say stay out of touching range and it's all good.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not waiting until I'm finished at the post office or bus station or whatever to come up and start talking to the clerk and trying to do your thing. Wait a minute, it's not that hard. And those stupid megaphones.
Lunar Groove Gardener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Waiting your turn is a requirement of civilized behavior
-Beeping for one to drive when there are still buses and cement
trucks racing through the light which has just turned red is very
offensive
- Saying hello to colleagues and neighbors is more normal than
ignoring them
- Not liking every type of the local food is an acceptable and realistic
response
- Personal questions about age, family, money are best left for actual
friends
- Chewing with your mouth open is not appealing
- Hawking loogies is a poor choice for a national anthem
- It is impolite to stare
- There is a whole world of music worth listening to, none of it being
played in Korea
-Giving students passing grades in university because they are sports
students is illegal elsewhere
- Admitting when you're wrong or have made a mistake is a strength
not being able to admit when you are wrong or have made a mistake
is proof of very weak character
-you aren't allowed to touch children that you do not know
-no matter how drunk you are, touching another man on the upper thigh
is a clear indication of sexual orientation

I could make a list for other countries, but these will surely ring true with
anyone that has lived in the land of the morning loogie for any period.

Grease for peace
johnnyrook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in Korea anymore but recently my girlfriend and I had her parents come to visit, and I found myself playing chaperone for a few days while she was working.

We'd be out all day sight-seeing, and at times I'd find myself getting quite hungry or thirsty and deciding to grab a quick bite or a drink or something. So we'd stop somewhere, and I'd be planning to buy say some fries to snack on or a juice, and I'd ask her parents if they wanted to eat/drink anything... they'd say no, so I'd buy something adequate just for me. Of course then as we'd continue on our way they'd suddenly be grabbing the food/drink from me to help themselves to it, and by the time it was all gone my thirst/hunger would be nowhere near satisfied.

So yeh, I wish Korean people would understand that Westerners don't consider that all food is for sharing.
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think this says a lot more about your fear and hang-ups than it does about Korean culture and has about as much value as anything else you wrote.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That language. Man, I can't understand a word they're saying! Speak English already!!!

Sarcasm aside, I feel it's the cultural differences that make Korea an interesting place to be. Yes, many of them are annoying and offensive to my western sensibilities, but without them, Korea would just not be Korea.

So, I'll put with the guy touching my thigh, the constant lip smacking and slurping during meal-time and the loogie hocking sound which is often just a part of the way they express themselves when speaking, all of them being relatively harmless things that westerners need to stop whining about already. Though if some random stranger ever picks up my child - should I have one - I might lose it.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyrook wrote:
I don't live in Korea anymore but recently my girlfriend and I had her parents come to visit, and I found myself playing chaperone for a few days while she was working.

We'd be out all day sight-seeing, and at times I'd find myself getting quite hungry or thirsty and deciding to grab a quick bite or a drink or something. So we'd stop somewhere, and I'd be planning to buy say some fries to snack on or a juice, and I'd ask her parents if they wanted to eat/drink anything... they'd say no, so I'd buy something adequate just for me. Of course then as we'd continue on our way they'd suddenly be grabbing the food/drink from me to help themselves to it, and by the time it was all gone my thirst/hunger would be nowhere near satisfied.

So yeh, I wish Korean people would understand that Westerners don't consider that all food is for sharing.

Koreans always say no at first. They consider that to be polite.
fosterman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
That dogs have emotional, social and material needs. Owning a dog is not akin to owning a table, a sofa or a pair of shoes. It is not okay to tie it up for its entire life on a two foot leash. It has needs and rights, and its owner has a moral obligation to treat it with decency. If you can't do that, you have no business owning it.

I agree!!! but this is not just Koreans! humans all over the world are guilty for this. and also for raising children.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Quote:

I think this says a lot more about your fear and hang-ups than it does about Korean culture and has about as much value as anything else you wrote.

^ Smart person award.

Thigh-touching creeps me out, but I have awareness, and am aware it comes from my upbringing in the US. Had I grown up anywhere else in the world I would be more comfortable with dood-on-dood man-touching. Ha that sounds funny.
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
That dogs have emotional, social and material needs. Owning a dog is not akin to owning a table, a sofa or a pair of shoes. It is not okay to tie it up for its entire life on a two foot leash. It has needs and rights, and its owner has a moral obligation to treat it with decency. If you can't do that, you have no business owning it.

I agree!!! but this is not just Koreans! humans all over the world are guilty for this. and also for raising children.

Basically they need to lose the social pressure to have children.

Many parts of the west have it too- the idea that it is a sin to be single and unmarried, or, married but without kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: