Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The one cultural difference you wish Korea understood
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabrams

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I understood Korean humor a little better. At this point in time, I just can't seem to grasp it. The comedians I've seen rely too much on physical humor, with little wit behind the performance. I'm not saying comedians from where I come from don't have their own crutches, but I do know I've never seen anything close to George Carlin, Louis C.K., Margaret Cho, Janeane Garofalo
or Dave Chappelle in Korea.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunar Groove Gardener wrote:
-use they are sports
students is illegal elsewhere
- Admitting when you're wrong or have made a mistake is a strength
not being able to admit when you are wrong or have made a mistake
is proof of very weak character

You do realize that you've just insulted about 99% of all internet chat board users including Dave's right?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabrams wrote:
I wish I understood Korean humor a little better. At this point in time, I just can't seem to grasp it. The comedians I've seen rely too much on physical humor, with little wit behind the performance. I'm not saying comedians from where I come from don't have their own crutches, but I do know I've never seen anything close to George Carlin, Louis C.K., Margaret Cho, Janeane Garofalo
or Dave Chappelle in Korea.

Interesting spin on the topic, what we wish we understood about Korean culture. Has a bit of potential.

I wish I could understand why a significant number of Koreans cannot sit still when they don't have anything special to do. A very busy coworker of mine had a vacation in Malaysia recently. He deserves a break so I told him to set aside at least an afternoon where he just sits on the beach and nurses a beer or two. He responded by saying he's tried to before but he just can't sit around with nothing to do for more than an hour at most. Dude, relaxing on the beach IS doing something...poor guy.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drinking Alone. At a bar.
Eating Alone.

Sometimes you want booze and you don't want to cook, but you sure as heck don't want to deal with people. Maybe if a "regular" plops down next to the bar you might grunt out a conversation, but basically have some booze, a boring ball game, and the long quiet of your own thoughts.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:
OMG, why should you bother living in a country that you don't like? Just go home, or you will soon be replaced anyhow. In fact you fools don't deserve Korea.

LOL. You'r right. It's such a paradise here. I must have done something good in my previous life to have ended up in Korea in this one. The gods sure are benevolent. Confused

Carry on Mr. Moon.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
That dogs have emotional, social and material needs. Owning a dog is not akin to owning a table, a sofa or a pair of shoes. It is not okay to tie it up for its entire life on a two foot leash. It has needs and rights, and its owner has a moral obligation to treat it with decency. If you can't do that, you have no business owning it.

I agree!!! but this is not just Koreans! humans all over the world are guilty for this.

So Australians, Canadians and Americans are just as guilty of tying up dogs on a short leash and neglecting them for their entire lives as Koreans are? Is this what you are suggesting? If you are your powers of observation get a F-.
Wangddaddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorf wrote:
Koreans don't understand that their country is not the norm, and project their cultural isolation upon all other countries ...

You could pretty much substitute "Koreans" for pretty much any nation on earth.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangddaddy wrote:
Gorf wrote:
Koreans don't understand that their country is not the norm, and project their cultural isolation upon all other countries ...

You could pretty much substitute "Koreans" for pretty much any nation on earth.

+1
rchristo10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it is not only gross, but demeaning to be fed food with someone else's hand or chopsticks after puberty!! It absolutely bugs me out when my friends attempt to feed me. Especially when it's a man feeding another man!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Do your best not to fart on the bus. I think it's just as bad in the US buses, the difference is the Kimchi smell.

Yup
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimchifart wrote:
young_clinton wrote:
Do your best not to fart on the bus. I think it's just as bad in the US buses, the difference is the Kimchi smell.

Yup

Hence your user ID?
yfb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic does not have sugar in it.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: loogies Reply with quote

The need for "everyone" to really hack up loogies. Maybe it's because a lot of people smoke here and they have to spit. I can't walk for 2 minutes from my house to my hagwon without hearing that loud, grunting, wet noise.... the other day I walked past some college girls (or were they high school?) smoking. After I got by them, I heard one of them hack it up like a pro. I just felt really dirty after that -_-
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Interesting spin on the topic, what we wish we understood about Korean culture. Has a bit of potential.

I wish I could understand why a significant number of Koreans cannot sit still when they don't have anything special to do. A very busy coworker of mine had a vacation in Malaysia recently. He deserves a break so I told him to set aside at least an afternoon where he just sits on the beach and nurses a beer or two. He responded by saying he's tried to before but he just can't sit around with nothing to do for more than an hour at most. Dude, relaxing on the beach IS doing something...poor guy.

I hate 'relaxing' on beaches. It bores me to death. Unless I'm playing a sport or on the way into the sea I can't stand lying about on a beach. I don't understand people who go on their holidays to do nothing, and over sand is the best place to do that??

It gets everywhere, you can't use a laptop, reading is almost impossible if it's really bright, you have to pay to 'relax' there, all refreshments are overpriced, you get the odd cooling breeze full of sand to get into your pores, the salt dries out your skin, you're cleaning sand from between your toes for the next couple days.

Also people are shouting at each other, eating BBQs where ever they like, walking about just to ogle and gossip, the beach doesn't bring out the best in people, but it's good for kids to build sandcastles and their parents know it's safe enough, so there is that.
Saudiman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the trash can or disposing of trash properly, especially in beach areas.

In Busan one of my friends got a nasty burn from stepping barefoot on a lit cigarette someone just tossed on the sand. And earlier that same day I started to go in the water and saw a dirty diaper floating there containing crap.

Never wanted to be on a Korean beach again. Trash cans were nearby, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: