Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respectful people: US vs KR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
This troll is annoying.

He really is. And pathetic.
Americans will give you cash rewards for finding them and giving their wallet back to them. Americans will open doors for you, not stare at you if you are with someone of a different race, say please and thank you and smile and talk to you even if they don't know you. OP is pathetic, weak, beta troll.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly this is silly.

Those stories (like the Captain said) could have been swapped, the positive one being in Canada, UK or US and the negative one in Korea.

The only thing I will say is that in my experience, you stand a better chance of getting your stuff back intact and untouched in Korea than in Canada. By this I mean forgetting your wallet/cell/tablet in a random coffeeshop.

As for a dropped wallet, it is a coin toss really and it depends who picks it up. A Korean teenager could very well decide to pocket the Won in the wallet and ditch the rest or return it. Same deal in Canada for a dropped wallet..all very dependant on who picks it up.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
nero wrote:
This troll is annoying.

Quintis, is that you man?

I meant the OP.
Actually, I think I know Bob. Is he also known as 'That American Professor/lecturer?'

Edit -- I can also become strikingly homosexual after a few bevvies. Wink

Whew! Very Happy

I don't know, but he's been on all the boards for years now. Nice guy, when he's sober!
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, because KR isn't a respectful place and the US is known for its respectful and pleasant people.

You guys doing drugs? Rolling Eyes

Anyhow I had a good day so you guys can just sit around and argue about it on the internet. I'm gonna go make some money.
nero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Right, because KR isn't a respectful place and the US is known for its respectful and pleasant people.

Anyhow I had a good day so you guys can just sit around and argue about it on the internet. I'm gonna go make some money.

Maybe the American woman objected to you trying to hand her your cock at the same time as you gave her the wallet?

Have ya thought about that?

Have ya?!!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:

You from America? How long did you live there?

I've left a laptop overnight in the UofM campus Media Union. Living in Ann Arbor there are certain parts where you can leave your door unlocked and open. I've had people snowblow my sidewalk as a neighborly gesture, whip me up a burger and give me a beer, help me push my car out of snow and more.

And even some people who weren't so friendly when they heard about someone's house getting robbed all had their neighbors back, and promises of "just scream and I'll come with my gun".

As an American I've done plenty of things for strangers. Food, drinks, help with cars, and more.

Saying Koreans are nice and Americans aren't is just complete crap.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost my wallet on three continents (NA, EUR, ASIA) all multiple times in busy areas of large cities (I drink a lot and my clothes have lots of holes). Every single time it's been returned to me completely intact. The only place where the cash was missing was in Korea (twice) but that's ok. I've also lost my phone both back home and here. Back home I hadn't even realized it and it was returned. Here, I was on the case within half an hour but it was already gone.

My point isn't that it's worse in Korea or the US or anywhere. But anecdotes are just that, stories. And everyone has their stories.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my wallet in a taxi and the driver was respectful enough to free me of the burden of having to carry cash, and then he kindly deposited the empty wallet on the side of the road so someone could take it to the nearest policeman. What a kind and respectful fella.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan was the best. Two years ago, after making a tomb raid in China, I had 19K in USD 100 dollar bills. The money was in a small knapsack with my wallet. I was staying at a hotel in Tokyo and left it at the 7-11.

The clerk called the hotel and asked if there were any gaijin there that were named DBB. Got it all back. Gave the guy 500 bucks for his honesty. He didn't want to take it, but I forced it on him.
UknowsI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Your story could have easily been swapped the other way.

But could it? Would a Korean woman ever behave in a crude disrespectful way to a total stranger that helped them out? I can't see that happening.

I found a smart phone lying around outside in the middle of the night. The phone was running out of battery, so I took it home and borrowed a charger from a friend so I could keep it on until someone called. Someone called the next day and we decided a place to meet. They're from my uni and spoke English decently so communication was not a problem. After I handed them the phone I was going to tell them where I found the phone since I thought they might be interested in where they had lost it, but they were not interested at all and left before I had even finished telling them where I found it. I think it's a pretty good example of how it can happen the other way even though this was a Korean guy and not a Korean woman.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
I have lost my wallet on three continents (NA, EUR, ASIA) all multiple times in busy areas of large cities (I drink a lot and my clothes have lots of holes). Every single time it's been returned to me completely intact. The only place where the cash was missing was in Korea (twice) but that's ok. I've also lost my phone both back home and here. Back home I hadn't even realized it and it was returned. Here, I was on the case within half an hour but it was already gone.

My point isn't that it's worse in Korea or the US or anywhere. But anecdotes are just that, stories. And everyone has their stories.

Lesson here: learn to secure your wallet better. Wink
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Japan was the best. Two years ago, after making a tomb raid in China, I had 19K in USD 100 dollar bills.

So you're saying you pillaged and sold some antiques...man, you must have some good connections in China
Plume D'ella Plumeria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
This troll is annoying.

Extremely. And a bit of a disturbo it seems.

It would be nice if he would just go and crawl under a bridge where he could stay untouched and unsullied by nasty filthy American women who seem to terrify him.
lowpo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my wallet with other 2,000.00 dollars in it in my class room at my university in America. About a week later the guy who found my wallet came knocking on my dorm room door. He handed me my wallet to me with all the money in it. I ever tried to give him 100.00 dollars and he wouldn't take it.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chance wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
Japan was the best. Two years ago, after making a tomb raid in China, I had 19K in USD 100 dollar bills.

So you're saying you pillaged and sold some antiques...man, you must have some good connections in China

What are we even talking about here? Tomb raid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: