Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Female "sexually assaulted by taxi driver" Gwangju
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julian_w

Location: Somewhere beyond Middle Peak Hotel, north of Middle Earth, and well away from the Middle of the Road

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Female "sexually assaulted by taxi driver" Gwangju Reply with quote

미국인 女강사 "택시기사에게 성폭행을�"
Female American instructor: �I was sexually assaulted by a taxi driver��

광주에서 20대 원어민 여강사가 택시 기사로부터 성폭행을 당했다는 신고가 접수돼 경찰이 조사 중이라고 연합뉴스가 30일 전했다.
According to Yeonhap News police are investigating the case of a female native instructor of English, in her 20s, who was sexually assaulted by a taxi driver.

광주 서부경찰서와 광산경찰서에 따르면 30일 오전 5시 47분께 미국인 원어민 강사 A(22�여)씨가 택시 기사로부터 성폭행을 당했다는 신고가 접수됐다.
According to Gwangju Seo Gu (west) district police station and Gwansan Gu district police station, Ms. A, a female American native English instructor aged 22, was raped by a taxi driver. This was reported to the police at around 5:47 am on October 30th.

A씨는 전날 오후 10시 50분께 광주 광산구의 한 병원 맞은편에서 택시를 탔다가 택시 안에서 성폭행을 당한 후 공사현장으로 추정되는 광주의 한 공터에 내버려진 것으로 알려졌다.
Ms. A reportedly took a taxi across town from a hospital in Gwangsan district at around 10.50 pm the previous day and was raped in the taxi, and then abandoned in a construction site in Gwangju.

A씨는 휴대전화를 분실해 광주 서구의 자택에 도착한 후 한국인 친구에게 연락, 112에 신고한 것으로 확인됐다.
Having lost her cell phone, she arrived at her place in Gwangju Seo Gu district, contacted a Korean friend, and then called 112 (the police).

경찰은 A씨의 휴대전화 위치를 추적한 결과 광주 광산구 하남공단 일대인 것으로 파악하고 A씨의 진술과 동선 상 폐쇄회로(CC)TV 등을 토대로 용의자를 추적 중이다.
The police tracked the location of her cell phone and determined that the crime scene must have been around Hanam Industial complex in Gwansan Gu, Gwangju. Based on Ms. A's statement and CCTV footage on the route she followed, police are searching for the suspect.

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=stock_new&no=1894165

Last edited by julian_w on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's disgusting Dodge. Even a simple intentional groping is not acceptable.

Another rape in Gwangju? I am starting to wonder if there is something in the water there. All of the big news stories about children being raped/abducted/murdered in Jeolla provinces this year and last, this story, and I'm sure there will be a few more by years end.

Is it due to the lack of marital females as they all move to Seoul? Clamping down on "mail-order" brides for the farmers?

Almost all the other provinces hate the 2 Jeolla provinces and this definitely isn't helping their image.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this old news...as in...this was reported last year...or even earlier?
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was reported to the police at around 5:47 am on November 30th.

Wow, a 'future rape', or as another poster said - a rape that happened 11 months ago!

Slow news day?
T-J

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a recent story.

http://joongang.joinsmsn.com/article/800/9742800.html?ctg=1200

I think the OP just made a typo with November.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... My girlfriend has told me some disturbing stories about men attempting to rape her on at least five different occasions. Two instances involved guys holding a knife to her throat. Another time, some ajossi got her in a choke hold from behind and she was only able to fight out of it by knocking his glasses off his head. ZERO help from police on nearly every occasion, and they basically just defended the guys if they were able to catch them, or cared to try. One time, she said she got so fed up that the police were just standing around talking about taking dumps, she told them who her brother was (he's high up in the Korean embassy in Japan), and they got their shit together and put that dude away. He ended up killing himself in prison, and his mom called my girlfriend telling her she told him to do it, since he'd shamed her family. Weird stuff. Just saying... think there's a bit of a rape problem here...
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Yeah... My girlfriend has told me some disturbing stories about men attempting to rape her on at least five different occasions. Two instances involved guys holding a knife to her throat. Another time, some ajossi got her in a choke hold from behind and she was only able to fight out of it by knocking his glasses off his head. ZERO help from police on nearly every occasion, and they basically just defended the guys if they were able to catch them, or cared to try. One time, she said she got so fed up that the police were just standing around talking about taking dumps, she told them who her brother was (he's high up in the Korean embassy in Japan), and they got their shit together and put that dude away. He ended up killing himself in prison, and his mom called my girlfriend telling her she told him to do it, since he'd shamed her family. Weird stuff. Just saying... think there's a bit of a rape problem here...

@john stamos jr, you have problems.

It seems the entire mainstream media covered this tragic news yesterday. People are saddened by what�s happened to this young woman who lives far away from her family, and also outraged by the nation�s jurisdiction system that allows sex offenders to drive taxis. This is what they say...
"성범죄자 전국을 돌면서 여성들 강간하고 얘써잡으면 또 풀어주고 사면해주고.. 나와서 또강간하고... 또잡아서 전자팔치채우고 또풀어주고.... 또 강간하고...... 이제는 외국인한테까지... 그것도 그나라의 치한을 판가름할수 있는 공공부문인 택시까지 마음대로 못타니... 사법개혁해야됩니다."

Let;s hope the taxi driver gets caught soon and spends the rest of his life in prison. Also hope that she gets monetary compensation from the taxi company who hired this sex criminal.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:
@john stamos jr, you have problems.

Lol, what? You're that weird gyopo troll guy, right? Right.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange because I personally have never felt unsafe is this country. I've been walking home at 3 in the morning totally drunk and have never worried about my safety.

It's one of the things I love about Korea.

However, I've heard the opposite from females here. I know one girl who had a guy climb into the fourth floor of her villa at night and try to rape her while holding a knife to her throat. Scary stuff.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were rapes of western females happening left and right back before the internet in Korea. Back then we heard about things through the grape vine, but it happened nonetheless. They weren't always perpetrated by Koreans though.
julian_w

Location: Somewhere beyond Middle Peak Hotel, north of Middle Earth, and well away from the Middle of the Road

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
It's strange because I personally have never felt unsafe is this country. I've been walking home at 3 in the morning totally drunk and have never worried about my safety.

It's one of the things I love about Korea.

However, I've heard the opposite from females here. I know one girl who had a guy climb into the fourth floor of her villa at night and try to rape her while holding a knife to her throat. Scary stuff.

This sounds fair. There are definitely dangers here but they exist in different places, times, and in ways "we" as expats don't always expect or know to look for, which of course thereby makes those places, times, and ways all the more dangerous.

Thanks to the kind poster above for the kind concern shown in highlighting the blooper in the translated month. It's now edited.

It's also good to see the original article is being publicised more widely:
http://joongang.joinsmsn.com/article/800/9742800.html?ctg=1200
thurst

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what are the chances that they catch this guy and he gets a 2-3 year suspended sentence after claiming the ever bulletproof "i was drunken!" defense? i say no lower than 70%.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, Korea isn't as safe as it's made out to be, for women especially but also for men.

I've never been afraid to go out alone at any time of the day or night, but it's no safer for a lone woman in Korea than it is back home - and not just because of the Korean men, either. The other expat guys can be just as awful (see: Dodge7).

It's at a point for me where another attempt at sexual assault receives the eye-roll. It's REALLY COMMON. Ask the women around you how many times they've been unconsensually touched, kissed, groped, fondled, or harassed during their time in Korea.

As for taxis specifically, they're particularly sketchy in Korea. One driver wanted to shake my hand before I got out of the cab, then held it in a vice grip and kept driving (until I broke the driver's seat); another who pulled over in an alley and started moving to the back - sloppy attempts but attempts nonetheless. I've heard similar or worse from the other girls in my city. I haven't heard much on the same level in Canada, though (as related to taxis).
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving a taxi is one of few jobs that Korean (or others) ex-cons can get. It would be fair to assume that many taxis are being driven by them. If out late at night I suggest staying at motel vs getting in a taxi...in Korea or elsewhere. And always (i.e. getting taxi late at night or anytime) have the cellphone in your hand and ready to dial 112. They can track your location even if they can't understand English.
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timhorton wrote:
Driving a taxi is one of few jobs that Korean (or others) ex-cons can get. It would be fair to assume that many taxis are being driven by them. If out late at night I suggest staying at motel vs getting in a taxi...in Korea or elsewhere. And always (i.e. getting taxi late at night or anytime) have the cellphone in your hand and ready to dial 112. They can track your location even if they can't understand English.

Good advice. If I sent a girl home in a taxi I would possibly ask that she call me after getting in and stay on the phone until she arrives
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: