Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Female "sexually assaulted by taxi driver" Gwangju
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
timhorton wrote:
Driving a taxi is one of few jobs that Korean (or others) ex-cons can get. It would be fair to assume that many taxis are being driven by them. If out late at night I suggest staying at motel vs getting in a taxi...in Korea or elsewhere. And always (i.e. getting taxi late at night or anytime) have the cellphone in your hand and ready to dial 112. They can track your location even if they can't understand English.

Good advice. If I sent a girl home in a taxi I would possibly ask that she call me after getting in and stay on the phone until she arrives

Lol, now that's just borderline uptight and paranoid.
kabrams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Squire wrote:
timhorton wrote:
Driving a taxi is one of few jobs that Korean (or others) ex-cons can get. It would be fair to assume that many taxis are being driven by them. If out late at night I suggest staying at motel vs getting in a taxi...in Korea or elsewhere. And always (i.e. getting taxi late at night or anytime) have the cellphone in your hand and ready to dial 112. They can track your location even if they can't understand English.

Good advice. If I sent a girl home in a taxi I would possibly ask that she call me after getting in and stay on the phone until she arrives

Unfortunately, women have to protect themselves all the time, and this is one of they ways they try to do it.
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Squire wrote:
timhorton wrote:

No, it's called being prepared.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Female "sexually assaulted by taxi driver" Gwa Reply with quote

julian_w wrote:
미국인 女강사 "택시기사에게 성폭행을�"
Female American instructor: �I was sexually assaulted by a taxi driver��

광주에서 20대 원어민 여강사가 택시 기사로부터 성폭행을 당했다는 신고가 접수돼 경찰이 조사 중이라고 연합뉴스가 30일 전했다.
According to Yeonhap News police are investigating the case of a female native instructor of English, in her 20s, who was sexually assaulted by a taxi driver.

광주 서부경찰서와 광산경찰서에 따르면 30일 오전 5시 47분께 미국인 원어민 강사 A(22�여)씨가 택시 기사로부터 성폭행을 당했다는 신고가 접수됐다.
According to Gwangju Seo Gu (west) district police station and Gwansan Gu district police station, Ms. A, a female American native English instructor aged 22, was raped by a taxi driver. This was reported to the police at around 5:47 am on October 30th.

A씨는 전날 오후 10시 50분께 광주 광산구의 한 병원 맞은편에서 택시를 탔다가 택시 안에서 성폭행을 당한 후 공사현장으로 추정되는 광주의 한 공터에 내버려진 것으로 알려졌다.
Ms. A reportedly took a taxi across town from a hospital in Gwangsan district at around 10.50 pm the previous day and was raped in the taxi, and then abandoned in a construction site in Gwangju.

A씨는 휴대전화를 분실해 광주 서구의 자택에 도착한 후 한국인 친구에게 연락, 112에 신고한 것으로 확인됐다.
Having lost her cell phone, she arrived at her place in Gwangju Seo Gu district, contacted a Korean friend, and then called 112 (the police).

경찰은 A씨의 휴대전화 위치를 추적한 결과 광주 광산구 하남공단 일대인 것으로 파악하고 A씨의 진술과 동선 상 폐쇄회로(CC)TV 등을 토대로 용의자를 추적 중이다.
The police tracked the location of her cell phone and determined that the crime scene must have been around Hanam Industial complex in Gwansan Gu, Gwangju. Based on Ms. A's statement and CCTV footage on the route she followed, police are searching for the suspect.

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=stock_new&no=1894165

I say we change the visa regs for all Koreans...no...wait....
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
timhorton wrote:

If I were a woman I would probably do the same. I'm also every suspicious of taxi drivers. Plenty of them tried to rip me or my squadmates off when I was in the Army.
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Yeah... My girlfriend has told me some disturbing stories about men attempting to rape her on at least five different occasions.
Quote:

5 times - I'd get another g/f if I were you Exclamation
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call my husband whenever I take a taxi after dark. He stays on the line with me until I'm home. Is it somewhat paranoid? Sure. I'd rather be safe, though.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Was it rape-rape or was it the attention-look-at-me rape that girls like to claim while in college to make themselves feel wanted? Details would have been helpful here.

I take back any positive things that I have said about you in the past.
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I call my husband whenever I take a taxi after dark. He stays on the line with me until I'm home. Is it somewhat paranoid? Sure. I'd rather be safe, though.

A little paranoia never hurt anyone, might have helped a few people though.

A thought - could you 'talk' to the hubby even if he were asleep? In theory I reckon you wouldn't even need the phone turned on and a taxi driver would think you're chatting to a huge guy who's waiting for you. Might be a good strategy for single women.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my phone on low-volume speaker so that the taxi driver can hear a man's voice on the other end of the line. Embarassed
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lucas"]
Quote:
Yeah... My girlfriend has told me some disturbing stories about men attempting to rape her on at least five different occasions.
Quote:

5 times - I'd get another g/f if I were you Exclamation

Is she too rapeable? She busted those ajossis up.

Considering how underreported rape is in the first place, it falls in line that most women aren't likely to go around telling people about these kinds of traumatic experiences. A different girl told me that her friend was virgin raped as a teenager. And, as a result, she was so terrified about raped of her own virginity, that she asked a male friend to go ahead and get it over with. It seems to be a pretty prevalent issue here.
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
timhorton wrote:

In Busan, the taxis I usually use are a city wide network that you can call for and you get a text message that the car is on its way and that contains details of the number plate and make of car plus a warning to confirm this before getting in the vehicle.

I think that's about as safe as you can get for taxi travel and I'm sure the same service must be available in other cities too.
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="John Stamos jr."]

Quote:
Considering how underreported rape is in the first place, it falls in line that most women aren't likely to go around telling people about these kinds of traumatic experiences. A different girl told me that her friend was virgin raped as a teenager. And, as a result, she was so terrified about raped of her own virginity, that she asked a male friend to go ahead and get it over with. It seems to be a pretty prevalent issue here.[/quote]

U gotta be kidding with this one...
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dave Chance"]
John Stamos jr. wrote:

Quote:
Considering how underreported rape is in the first place, it falls in line that most women aren't likely to go around telling people about these kinds of traumatic experiences. A different girl told me that her friend was virgin raped as a teenager. And, as a result, she was so terrified about raped of her own virginity, that she asked a male friend to go ahead and get it over with. It seems to be a pretty prevalent issue here.[/quote]

U gotta be kidding with this one...

K dudes be raping...
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most taxi drivers here seem pretty decent, but last night, encountered one of the sketchiest taxi drivers I've ever seen. I'd never want my girlfriend or any girl going home alone in his taxi.

If ever there was a perfect image of a sketchy gangster/criminal/rapist type, this guy fit it to a tee. Not only the look of him (fat bouncer-type dressed in black sweatsuit, buzzcut), but the vibe and behavior too; he barely said a word and seemed really unstable like he was holding in some serious rage, and he drove like it as well, screeching around every corner. When he did speak it was like he was on speed. Did not seem like an established taxi driver at all; more like he was just using someone's taxi to make some extra cash or whatever.

Careful out there, ladies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: