Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does your Paris Baguette try to cheat on price?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most probably realize that the vast majority of so called "packaged items" are done that way to sell at a discount because of their age...as in when it was fresh it was sitting out in open air to sell individually, and as mentioned being dried out, sneezed on, and was likely only put in a package (note by package, we are referring to a clear bag with a string-tie..something hardly airtight) to be sold in hopes it wouldn't have to be thrown out.

So really, lets stop with the OP ruined fresh bread by opening the package mess...we all know there was nothing "fresh" about that, or for that matter, anything in the place after lunchtime hours.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drowning, absolutely drowning in apologism here.

It's bottom line deceptive pricing and if the price is for one, they should sell one.

It's akin to over packing biscuits and putting air in packets of crisps here.
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when was it OK to open packages and try to buy one piece...in Korea or elsewhere!! What next OP...you want one slice of toast so you'll just open a bag of bread at PB and ask to buy just one slice? Or, maybe you will go to GS Mart and open a gimbap and try to buy just 1 slice? Very Happy

Tip: Be nice to your PB shop. Once they know you are are regular they will throw in some freebies sometimes...at least mine does anyway. Now, go back and say 미안합니다 빵 맛있어요!
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timhorton:

Since when have you seen a loaf of bread priced per slice, and then when you bring the loaf to the counter, they charge you for every individual slice?

That is exactly what happened here.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cashier may have been price gouging you swamp but that does not excuse you opening a sealed packaged, taking on food item out and then leaving the opened package there, refusing to pay.

The correct thing to do would have been to talk to the manager or supervisor OR ask the cashier if you could buy just one of the pieces of bread OR just leave after you voiced your feelings about this.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick.. I was happy to pay. I simply wanted to pay 800 won for one, as the sign specified. She refused.

Why advertise a price for one unit if you cannot purchase just one? Why not put the entire price for the package if it is to remained unopened and sold as 1 package?

I fail to see where I am in the wrong. They try to get customers to buy this after seeing the cheap price, then hope they don't notice the expensive price at the register. It's deceptive. And refusing to sell me just one, as the price tag says per 1 item, just confirms they are trying to screw people.

BTW... these are never sold as singles, to whomever suggested they had been repackaged as day-old.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It clearly states price for one. Though, in small print.

You could have just asked if you could purchase one before opening it.

This stuff happens to me in convenience stores. Can of coffee will say 600won, but then the guy tells me it's that price if I use some special credit card. Then I do what most normal people do, I either just buy it or go back and pick something else out.

I definitely don't run to Dave's and accuse them of trying to deceive me,
tardisrider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

But...but...how will you ever get any attention?
NilesQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, you could have just said you don't want a whole box of them and asked if you could buy just one. Opening it without asking was a d"ck move, no matter what country you're in. You lost the moral high ground when you did that.

My understanding of the Korean language is that "han gaye" (sorry no Hangul on my keyboard) refers to one individual unit of something. If it's in a box or other container, it would have read "han box" or "nae gaye" for a set of four.

We often overact or lash out over embarassment or frustration in situations like this. I think the advice about apologizing about your part in this fiasco will give you freedom from this resentment against PB. It isn't saying that their pricing strategy is the clearest in the world, it would just be an acknowledgement that your misunderstanding of it played a part in the situation. I bet you were the only person who opened a box of them and demanded they sell you one, on that particular day.

While apologizing for actions you feel justified in having taken due to the percieved wrondoings of others may get you labeled as weak or an apologist, it is the most freeing exercise one can undertake. You get to stop reliving the fight in your head and devising alternate strategies of what you "should've done". Give it a try. It is the path of strength, and is almost always respected and admired. It will change your life.

Last edited by NilesQ on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
detonate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their pricing needs improvement and you should not have opened the package.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sides are at fault here.

Clearly the pricing scheme, and it clearly is a scheme, by the PB was vague at best, and in all likelihood deliberately misleading. Such things would certainly cause me to take my business elsewhere (what else are they being cheap with?)

But opening up the package and attempting to pay for one was just a bad, bad move. That is not acceptable here or back home.

Say you were buying meat and the price said $7.95, but you didn't notice that it said "per pound". You get to the check out and find that your 2 lb. package of ground beef costs 16 bucks. Do you open up the package of ground beef and say "Okay, I just want one pound"? Of course not.

The big question is- Were there other packages of egg bread in single, double, quadruple, or larger packages? If there was only the 4-pack for sale, OP definately has a case for getting a little agitated, but if there were other size packages, then OP pretty much failed.

But I don't see why the OP had to open the package if they wanted to purchase just one. That was needlessly provacative. That's basically throwing a temper tantrum. Things tend to go downhill rapidly after that. No one is going to give you anything if you behave like that.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
The big question is- Were there other packages of egg bread in single, double, quadruple, or larger packages? If there was only the 4-pack for sale, OP definately has a case for getting a little agitated, but if there were other size packages, then OP pretty much failed.

As stated earlier in the thread, where people have apparently decided not to read, the packages are never sold as singles, and only 4-packs of them were available.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timhorton wrote:
Since when was it OK to open packages and try to buy one piece...in Korea or elsewhere!! What next OP...you want one slice of toast so you'll just open a bag of bread at PB and ask to buy just one slice? Or, maybe you will go to GS Mart and open a gimbap and try to buy just 1 slice? Very Happy

Since when have you ever seen GS Mart put up a per-slice charge for a loaf of bread?

Do you see the failure in the apologist argument here?

Wow, I see why few people bother to come to this site anymore. It's as if VANK has taken over.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
It clearly states price for one. Though, in small print.

You could have just asked if you could purchase one before opening it.

This stuff happens to me in convenience stores. Can of coffee will say 600won, but then the guy tells me it's that price if I use some special credit card. Then I do what most normal people do, I either just buy it or go back and pick something else out.

The arguments above about "meat" and "canned coffee" do not hold water.

You're comparing individual, countable items to non-count items.

Basic English, people.
oppa637

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a 5 year old throwing a tantrum. Move on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: