Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSY - Smokes Illegal Style - Canada
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
everything-is-everything wrote:
Koreans don't swear in their songs nor do they engage in sensitive topics.

Sure they do, a few even have had their videos banned from TV for their swearing and lyrics. Drunken Tiger is the most famous example. However most of the ones constantly played on TV don't.


Yeah plenty of groups have sang lyrics about sensitive topics and plenty of the hip-hop groups have lyrics full of swear words and have their albums banned and whatnot.

Once again an assertion (albeit innocuous) about Korea that people who are actually in the know just shake their head at. Funny that many of these people claim to despise KPop yet are apparently experts on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
jvalmer wrote:
everything-is-everything wrote:
Koreans don't swear in their songs nor do they engage in sensitive topics.

Sure they do, a few even have had their videos banned from TV for their swearing and lyrics. Drunken Tiger is the most famous example. However most of the ones constantly played on TV don't.


Yeah plenty of groups have sang lyrics about sensitive topics and plenty of the hip-hop groups have lyrics full of swear words and have their albums banned and whatnot.

Once again an assertion (albeit innocuous) about Korea that people who are actually in the know just shake their head at. Funny that many of these people claim to despise KPop yet are apparently experts on it.


So you would classify Tier JK as a K-pop artist now? Gimme a break.

Name me three "K-pop" artists which have used swears or sang about politically sensitive topics.


I'm not talking underground artists, but ones that are at least fairly well known.


Finally I'd like you to back up your point that plenty of musicians here have had their albums banned. What do you mean by plenty?




Steels you're once again coming to Korea's rescue and in turn making yourself look like a total hack.

South Korea is a country where counterculture attitudes lay in the tiny fringes of society. I don't know how you can argue with this. And this reality is reflected in the art in this country.


Now I'm not saying there is no originality here or f-u's to the establishment. But it's extremely rare. Self expression has gotten a lot better over the past decade and the social changes in this country have been remarkable.



But quit pretending to be this defender of Korea cause I know gyopos like you and when you have a few drinks and let it out, you dudes hate on the monotony, group think and pansyness of many of the men here as most white guys do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you would classify Tier JK as a K-pop artist now? Gimme a break.

Name me three "K-pop" artists which have used swears or sang about politically sensitive topics.


DJ DOC, Jo PD, MC Sniper, even Jinusean.

If you want to split hairs, you could say the hip-hop groups are not strictly K-pop although they are popular. DJ DOC would certainly be a K-Pop group.

As for sensitive topics, again hair-splitting, you said "sensitive" not politically sensitive. I will agree that I'm not very familiar with politically sensitive songs beyond IMF bashing.

But yeah pop groups like HOT, Shinhwa, Jinusean, and others sang/produced videos about bullying, corruption, oppressive parental culture, teen listlessness, bad attitudes toward women, and other stuff, but especially the IMF crisis.

Quote:
I'm not talking underground artists, but ones that are at least fairly well known.

Finally I'd like you to back up your point that plenty of musicians here have had their albums banned. What do you mean by plenty?


Albums and videos. If you are a regular visitor to Soomp.com (English gateway to all things KPop) you will regularly see "so and so's album/video banned". It gets to the point where you don't even notice it.

Quote:
But quit pretending to be this defender of Korea cause I know gyopos like you and when you have a few drinks and let it out


It's not about being a defender of Korea. It's because you are wrong.

Or am I wrong and have you been listening to KPop extensively for the last 20 years?

How can you say there is "none of this in KPop" if you aren't familiar with it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:


It's not about being a defender of Korea. It's because you are wrong.

Or am I wrong and have you been listening to KPop extensively for the last 20 years?

How can you say there is "none of this in KPop" if you aren't familiar with it?



But....I mean....well......

.....alright buddy you destroyed me on this debate because to be honest I was talking out of my azz for the most part Laughing

You won this one but I'll be back Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Steelrails wrote:


It's not about being a defender of Korea. It's because you are wrong.

Or am I wrong and have you been listening to KPop extensively for the last 20 years?

How can you say there is "none of this in KPop" if you aren't familiar with it?



But....I mean....well......

.....alright buddy you destroyed me on this debate because to be honest I was talking out of my azz for the most part Laughing

You won this one but I'll be back Wink


Don't worry given my track record I'm sure I'll go down in flames rather soon on some other topic. The weekend is coming up, always a prime candidate for me to pen a blathering non-sensical, unfounded, hypocritical rant on Dave's while hungover and wondering why I made out with stupid annoying girl or releasing my inner frustrations brought about by getting my butt kicked at darts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joesp



Joined: 16 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy just thought he was in KOrea.

In Korea, a "no smoking sign" means "good place to smoke right here".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scorpion



Joined: 15 Apr 2012

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical. Just another mannerless ajoshie. One more reason to dislike the clown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International