Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Thanksgiving Dinners in Seoul 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone who goes to Bull and Barrel give a review? I'm gonna end up at a different place on Thanksgiving.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Can anyone who goes to Bull and Barrel give a review? I'm gonna end up at a different place on Thanksgiving.

Better than I expected considering the price. The turkey and ham were fantastic. Not really a ding against them but they didn't put much salt or pepper into the sides that needed it. I assume it was to appeal to everyone as these dinners tend to be salted to hell back in the US, so they opted for keeping it simple and had salt and pepper shakers available.

The only things I'd ding them on is the mac and cheese, and the slightly dry stuffing (which went fast regardless).

Bar also seems solid. Two floors, top floor is mainly for darts. Nice long bar, creaky wooden floors, different areas on the main floor which I assume allows for smoking and non-smoking sections, I guess?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
dairyairy wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
Bless U - 4-10 pm, 30k, all you can eat. Has the works.
Maloney's - 6-10 pm, 20k, not specific with what all comes with it.
High Street - Pick up/delivery stuff. Cut off is today.
Craftworks - "22nd November, 25th November 6 pm, 8:30 pm"(?) 30k. Has the works.
Suji's - **** that place, overpriced as usual.

All in the new Itaewon maps thing.

Obviously you've been to Suji's. No one actually loves that place, for free that is.

Their Thanksgiving deal had very little to do with the "traditional" offerings just about every other place has going. Salad and some like shrimp soup or something... I forget. And, it was also about 30k more than all the other places. I love a good pastrami sandwich, but... come on.

I hear you. Everyone I know has had bad experiences with that place and, yet, bloggers keep raving. Comp them and they'll print anything.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's worth doing for those of us who worked on Thursday and will be there this weekend?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Thanksgiving happened and I didn't even know it happened. Korea is awesome.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
So, what's worth doing for those of us who worked on Thursday and will be there this weekend?

I believe JR is running stuff today and tomorrow. Don't know if you can get the meal with the "works" though.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
WOW! Thanksgiving happened and I didn't even know it happened. Korea is awesome.

You must not have had a very memorable family upbringing. I always miss this stuff like crazy since it was so extravagant and wonderful growing up. Can't help but be a little nostalgic. But, you can supplement it, as I'm doing/will do: Get similar food and watch the Jets vs. Pats game from my computer, as I suck in 30+ points from the Pats Defense in my fantasy league. Wink
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Well sure memorable, but memories are the past, I'm living in Korea now. We had a big Chuseok celebration on the other hand.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
[
The only things I'd ding them on is the mac and cheese, and the slightly dry stuffing (which went fast regardless).

What was wrong with the Mac and cheese?

Looks like I'll be going there next year unless they raise the price.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:

Too bland and watery for me. They did very well with everything else in my opinion considering the price, but the mac and cheese was cafeteria food in comparison. But that factor wouldn't stop me from going again next year.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Too bland and watery for me. They did very well with everything else in my opinion considering the price, but the mac and cheese was cafeteria food in comparison.

Is there a non-cafeteria food version of mac n cheese? kkk

Actually, ignore that, did have some "classy mac" once.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good homemade mac and cheese gives you a foodgasm - right before it gives you a heart attack hehe
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:

Craftworks is having a repeat of yesterday on Sunday but I bet its sold out. Or you could do what we saw some people do last night go in and say you have a reservation when you didn't and Dan will seat you not because he didnt have a cancelation
doulos05

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:

I thought it was great. Like was already said, they went light on the seasoning and let you add your own. The stuffing might have been dry, I don't know, my philosophy there is stuffing and turkey are meant to be covered in gravy. Hard for something to be dry when covered in gravy. That said, the bits I missed when pouring the gravy weren't dry to me.

The Mac & Cheese was good as well, I thought. I added some salt and pepper and it was fine. I'd rather have them go light on the salt and pepper and let me add to taste than the other way around. Once you put the salt or pepper in the dish, there's no going back.

All in all, they're doing it again Saturday and if you missed it the first time, you should go again.

And if you miss it Saturday, you can still get your turkey fix. They've got an amazing open face turkey sandwich on the regular menu with stuffing, cheese, and a thick brown gravy poured on it... Mmmm, shouldn't be writing this at dinner time....
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a very good thread. Lots of good information was passed along by those in the know. Good job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: