Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some of Obama's Accomplishments (so far)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unposter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Some of Obama's Accomplishments (so far) Reply with quote

This was sent to my e-mail and I thought I'd share even though most of us live in Korea and it is probably too late to send in your absentee ballot. Anyway, some of Obama's accomplishments:

(Just some of) the Obama Administration' s accomplishments: *

1. The first bill President Obama signed was the Lilly Ledbetter Fair
Pay Act, to help women fight back when they don't get equal pay for
equal work.

2. His Recovery Act supported millions of jobs and helped to stave off a
second Great Depression.

3. He pushed for and won middle-class tax cuts that benefited every
American worker, and saved the typical family $3,600 in taxes over the
last four years.

4. President Obama rescued the auto industry, and now GM and Chrysler
are healthier than they've ever been. The American auto industry has
added nearly a quarter of a million jobs since June 2009 -- and they
most likely wouldn't exist right now without President Obama's leadership.

5. He doubled funding for Pell Grants, helping to make college more
affordable for nearly 10 million families.

6. His student loan reform ended billions in subsidies to banks serving
as middlemen and reinvested those savings directly into students.

7. The President established the American Opportunity Tax Credit, worth
up to $10,000 over four years of college.

8. His Race to the Top Initiative helped spur nearly every state to
raise academic standards.

9. His tax cuts, social-welfare programs, and economic policies lifted
nearly 7 million Americans above the federal poverty line in 2010.

10. President Obama has signed 18 tax cuts for small businesses since
taking office.

11. We've seen 5.2 million new private-sector jobs over the last 31 months.

12. The unemployment rate is at the lowest level since President Obama
took office.

13. Health care reform -- passed after decades of failed attempts by
every previous President -- provides affordable health coverage to every
American and will lower premiums by an average of $2,000 per family by 2019.

14. Obamacare expanded access to lifesaving preventive care such as
cancer screenings and immunizations with no out-of-pocket costs for 54
million Americans.

15. Obamacare ends insurance discrimination against the 129 million
Americans with pre-existing conditions.

16. Because of Obamacare, over 3 million more young adults have health
insurance today than would if the new law hadn't passed.

17. The parents of over 17 million children with pre-existing conditions
no longer have to worry that their children will be denied coverage.

18. President Obama has ordered the overhaul of federal government
regulations to make them smarter, practical, and more efficient. Just a
fraction of these commonsense initiatives will help save businesses $10
billion in the next five years alone.

19. His historic investments in clean energy have helped more than
double the amount of electricity we obtain from wind and solar sources
and helped increase biofuel production to its highest level in history.

20. President Obama is doubling fuel efficiency standards, which will
save drivers more than $8,000 at the gas pump, not to mention lessen the
impact of automobiles on our environment.

21. President Obama has taken unprecedented action to address climate
change, reaching historic international agreements to curb carbon
emissions, and taking action here at home to reduce carbon pollution
from our vehicles and promote clean energy production.

22. He has taken historic action to protect our environment -- signing
one of the largest expansions of protected wilderness in a generation
and putting in place standards to reduce toxic air pollution that will
save thousands of lives.

23. President Obama fought for and won landmark Wall Street reform that
reins in the abuses that led to the financial crisis and ends the era of
taxpayer bailouts and "too big to fail."

24. Wall Street reform created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau,
the nation's first federal agency focused solely on consumer financial
protection -- and the Bureau is already protecting families from unfair
and abusive financial practices from Wall Street banks and shadowy
corners of the financial industry.

25. As part of President Obama's commitment to transparency, the White
House has posted its visitor records online for the first time ever.

26. President Obama's all-of-the-above approach to energy has helped cut
the United States' dependence on foreign oil to its lowest level in 20
years.

27. President Obama responsibly ended the war in Iraq.

28. He announced a plan to end the war in Afghanistan and transition
security responsibility to the Afghan people.

29. President Obama sent the largest security assistance package to
Israel in history and funded the Iron Dome system, which is protecting
Israeli homes and schools from rocket attacks.

30. President Obama rallied the international community to implement the
toughest sanctions on Iran in history.

31. Through the President's historic increases in Veterans Affairs
funding, he has expanded and improved healthcare and job training access
for our returning veterans.

32. President Obama negotiated the New START Treaty with Russia to
reduce the number of nuclear weapons in both countries. At the same
time, he also secured commitments from dozens of other countries to lock
down nuclear materials.

33. His administration naturalized 11,146 military service members as
U.S. citizens in 2010; more than in any year since 1955.

34. President Obama set a bold new plan for the future of NASA space
exploration, using the skill and ability of the private sector for short
trips to the International Space Station, while building a new vehicle
for exploration of distant space, and doing everything in his power to
support the economy on Florida's Space Coast.

35. President Obama recognizes that tourism is one of America's largest
economic engines; he's worked to encourage international visitors to
come here, maintaining our security while keeping millions of Americans
in good, paying jobs.

36. He has affirmed his personal support of marriage equality, directed
the Justice Department to stop defending DOMA in federal courts, and
took the practical and compassionate step of extending hospital
visitation rights to same-sex partners.

37. He fought for and won the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, allowing
gay and lesbian members of the military to serve openly for the first
time in history.

38. When Congress failed to fix our broken immigration system, his
administration did everything in its power to improve it, streamlining
the legal immigration process and announcing a policy that lifts the
shadow of deportation from hard working young immigrants brought to the
U.S. as children.

39. Oh, and he gave the order to send troops in after Osama Bin Laden --
and has decimated al-Qaeda's senior leadership.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killed American citizens without a trial, unprecedented use of drone warfare, expansion of drones to Yemen, Somalia, and who knows where else. Extended the Bush Tax Cuts. Kowtowing to Israel, letting them build settlements and further entrench the apartheid regime. Support of coups in Honduras and Paraguay. Silence on Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and other countries where people are struggling for freedom. Failure to negotiate with Iran. Failed to get singlepayer healthcare. Squandered Democratic majority in both houses for failed policy of "bipartisanship." The surge in Afghanistan, basing troops in Australia and Poland and who knows where else. The bottom line is the Industrial-Military complex has America in a stranglehold and won't stop until every drop of blood and treasure has been squeezed from the husk of our country. Welcome to the new Gilded Age.
visitorq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
Killed American citizens without a trial, unprecedented use of drone warfare, expansion of drones to Yemen, Somalia, and who knows where else. Extended the Bush Tax Cuts. Kowtowing to Israel, letting them build settlements and further entrench the apartheid regime. Support of coups in Honduras and Paraguay. Silence on Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and other countries where people are struggling for freedom. Failure to negotiate with Iran. Failed to get singlepayer healthcare. Squandered Democratic majority in both houses for failed policy of "bipartisanship." The surge in Afghanistan, basing troops in Australia and Poland and who knows where else. The bottom line is the Industrial-Military complex has America in a stranglehold and won't stop until every drop of blood and treasure has been squeezed from the husk of our country. Welcome to the new Gilded Age.

Yep. Pretty well the entire list above is hogwash that could be debunked in 2 minutes each (which unfortunately adds up since it's a long list). Very little substance to any it, especially the claims that his policies helped stave off a depression.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Unibrow and Unposter. The list was yet too modest. Obama has outdone Bush in so many ways.

For example, he has raided over four times as Many Medical Marijuana Dispensaries As Bush did, in half the time.

In addition, Obama has averaged a 50% higher monthly deportation rate over Bush's eight-year average.

Most astonishing, Obama has killed four times as many insurgents in drone strikes in Pakistan and Afghanistan. That's not all! According to the Obama administration, ZERO of these casualties are civilians. Incredible!
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock market is up around 30% and many posters on Daves ESL have made a lot of investment money during his first term.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
killed four times as many insurgents in drone strikes[/url] in Pakistan and Afghanistan. That's not all! According to the Obama administration, ZERO of these casualties are civilians. Incredible!

That's so amazing, it's almost unbelievable! Idea
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
The stock market is up around 30% and many posters on Daves ESL have made a lot of investment money during his first term.

Why is it up? I wanna walk you though this so please answer.
Unposter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my post was primarily for educational purposes, not politics, I do feel that I want to respond to Unibrow's post.

1. Kowtowing to Israel, letting them build settlements and further entrench the apartheid regime.

Why do you believe this? For an American President, he has been surprisingly even-handed and quite disliked in Israel. Bush and Clinton were much worse. Also, do you think he has the power, should use his power or has a moral right to use American power to interfer in other country's policies?

2. Support of coups in Honduras and Paraguay.

Sorry to show my ignorance, seriously, I have no idea what you are talking about? I would be more than willing to be educated on this topic though. Again, do you think he has the power, should use his power or has a moral right to use American power to interfer in other country's policies?

3. Failure to negotiate with Iran.

What should we be negotiating? Why do you think negotiating would work? Why don't you think any negotiating hasn't been done behind the scenes?

4. Failed to get singlepayer healthcare.

True. But, he did a much better job than Clinton and he deserves credit for what he has accomplished.

5. Squandered Democratic majority in both houses for failed policy of "bipartisanship."

False. The House of Representatives went Republican but the Senate maintained its Democratic majority. Historically, off-season elections are often won by the minority party, especially in recent history. As for the question of failed bi-partisanship, I think there is a lot of different thinking about that. All I can say is that Obama has tried to reach out to Republicans, he has tried to continue some Republican policies and he has even endorsed some Republican policies only for Republicans to repudiate those policies after Obama has endorsed them. Most people on the Left feel that Obama has compromised too much, not too little, with the Republicans.

6. The surge in Afghanistan

Unlike Bush's surge of Iraq; this has been highly effective. It is also over and Obama is doing his best to end the U.S. military presence in Afghanistan.

7. basing troops in Australia and Poland and who knows where else

I don't know what you are talking about or why this is a problem but I am willing to listen.

8. Silence on Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and other countries where people are struggling for freedom

He has worked hard to help those involved in the Arab Spring where he could and where it would not put too many American lives at risk. I cannot fault him for his efforts here.

9. The bottom line is the Industrial-Military complex has America in a stranglehold and won't stop until every drop of blood and treasure has been squeezed from the husk of our country.

True but it has been happening since World War II, Eisenhower warned the world about this and nothing has happened.

Again, Obama is just a man. You can blame everything in the world on him if you want but it would a gross over-simplification. Some may say his accomplishments have been small but I don't think so. I think he has had two historic legislations (health care and the repeal of don't ask, don't tell) and he has done a lot from tax breaks to targeted government spending to prevent the U.S. from going into a Great Depression. I even saw one of the partners of Bain Capital on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart agreeing that the Stimulous Bill was necessary and saved the country from catastrophe.

Was it a perfect four years? No. Was it bad? No. Obama has done a lot. And, I suspect he has learned a lot, too. I suspect the next four years will be better but it is just my suspicion.
visitorq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:

I know exactly where you're going with this one Wink

Let's see if he actually replies...
actionjackson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:

I would be interested, this was all I could find.
Quote:
Through Friday, since Mr. Obama�s inauguration � his first 1,368 days in office � the Dow Jones industrial average has gained 67.9 percent. That�s an extremely strong performance � the fifth best for an equivalent period among all American presidents since 1900. The Bespoke Investment Group calculated those returns for The New York Times.

The best showing occurred in Franklin D. Roosevelt�s first term, when the market rose by a whopping 238.1 percent. Of course, that followed a calamitous decline. When his term started, the Dow had fallen to one-fourth of its former peak. In 2008, the year before Mr. Obama took office, the Dow declined by roughly one-third.

After Franklin Roosevelt, the next-best market performances occurred under Calvin Coolidge, Bill Clinton and Dwight Eisenhower. These exceptionally strong markets helped all of them win the next election � and the stock market is undoubtedly helping Mr. Obama, too, even if he isn�t saying much about it.

�What I find most ironic about these numbers is that one of Obama�s weaknesses is said to be his economic record,� said Paul T. Hickey, Bespoke�s co-founder. �While the stock market isn�t a complete reflection of the economy, it is an important indicator, and the stock market is one of the great things the president has working in his favor. But it�s a sensitive subject. With Wall Street so despised by the average American right now, it�s probably something he doesn�t want to be too quick to trumpet. But facts are facts.�
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/your-money/wall-st-may-not-cheer-but-obamas-been-good-for-stocks.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121021&_r=2&

Not according to the Republicans
Quote:
In February 2004, Labor Secretary Elaine Chao was on CNN defending the Bush administration's economic policies. When Judy Woodruff noted the president's poor record on job creation, Chao suggested there's only one number that matters. Unfortunately for the administration, she picked the wrong one.

Woodruff explained that the president's first term saw the "weakest job-creation rate relative to economic growth on record." Instead of trying to justify the poor performance, Chao responded, "Well, the stock market is, after all, the final arbiter."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-benen/taking-stock-of-bushs-rec_b_22970.html

And just for fun because I have nothing else going on right now and thought this might create a lively debate.
Quote:
From this book loaded with statistical fact tidbits and comparative charts, here are just a few that caused me to realize that my long-term love affair with Milton Friedman�s writing and recommended policies in �Free to Choose� were grounded in a theory I long admired, but that simply have proven to be myths when applied!

-Personal disposable income has grown nearly 6 times more under Democratic presidents
-Gross Domestic Product (GDP) has grown 7 times more under Democratic presidents
-Corporate profits have grown over 16% more per year under Democratic presidents (they actually declined under Republicans by an average of 4.53%/year)
-Average annual compound return on the stock market has been 18 times greater under Democratic presidents (If you invested $100k for 40 years of Republican administrations you had $126k at the end, if you invested $100k for 40 years of Democrat administrations you had $3.9M at the end)
Republican presidents added 2.5 times more to the national debt than Democratic presidents
-The two times the economy steered into the ditch (Great Depression and Great Recession) were during Republican, laissez faire administrations

The book covers only Presidents Hoover through W. Bush. But as we near this election I asked Mr. Goldfarb his view on the incumbent Democrat�s first 4 years. His response:

-�Obama at this time would rank on par with Reagan
-Corporate profits have risen under Obama more than any other president
-The stock market has soared 14.72%/year under Obama, second only to Clinton � which should be a big deal since 2/3 of people (not just the upper class) have a 401K or similar investment vehicle dependent upon corporate profits and stock market performance�

As to the challenging Republican party�s platform, Mr. Goldfarb commented:

-�The platform is the inverse of what has actually worked to stimulate economic growth
-The recommended platform tax policy is bad for velocity, and will stagnate the economy
-Repealing the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) will have a negative economic impact because it will force non-wealthy individuals to spend a higher percentage of income on health care rather than expansionary products and services
-Economic disaster happens in America when wealth is concentrated at the top, and we are at an all time high for wealth concentration. There is nothing in the platform which addresses this issue.�
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2012/10/10/want-a-better-economy-history-says-vote-democrat/
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:

Keynesian economics work and the recovery would have been stronger if Keynesian economic theory were applied more fully
(if there wasn't the blocking of republicans and some democrats).

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wages are down and equities are up. Hint. Purchasing power is down and equities are up. Hint hint.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Wages are down and equities are up. Hint. Purchasing power is down and equities are up. Hint hint.

your wrong credit is not the answer, credit is down under Obama and savings rates are up. There was a lot of cash that left the markets out of fear after the crash of 2008. That money is now coming back into the market. This is exactly what was suppose to happen.

The amount of money that left the market in 2008 was much larger than any stimulus package.

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side complaint, why do I get the impression that the average obamadrone thinks Keynesian is whatever mr. Asbergers over at the nyt says it is?
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Titus wrote:

your wrong credit is not the answer, credit is down under Obama and savings rates are up. There was a lot of cash that left the markets out of fear after the crash of 2008. That money is now coming back into the market. This is exactly what was supposes to happen.

What?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: