Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rain's spot on Time magazine poll questioned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Rain's spot on Time magazine poll questioned Reply with quote

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2962465

Quote:
JTBC News reported yesterday that Rain�s spot on Time magazine�s �100 Most Influential People� from 2006 is being questioned.

The news program said an organizer responsible for Rain�s U.S. concert, which got canceled, claimed the vote was rigged.

Apparently, the claim was made in court testimony recently, as the organizer is being sued by JYP Entertainment for 4 billion won ($3.6 million) for failure to execute the 2006-7 tour as planned.

Kang, who oversaw event planning and marketing for Rain�s failed U.S. concerts, said that at the time the K-pop star was big only in Asia, �with no following at all in America or Europe.�

When an attorney for Rain countered by saying that the singer was on Time�s 100 list, Kang said, �That was because we recruited the help of Chinese fans living in the United States.�

�This wasn�t some no-name paper; the list was compiled by a leading publication,� said Rain�s agency. �How could we control that?�
Zackback

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete
lemak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's rubbish. How could someone who is completely unknown to the vast majority of the planet be considered the most influential in the world? Laughing
Time knew it was crap at the time even the caption underneath his pic in the magazine said something along the lines of "Ah well, I guess you can't say convincing a bunch of teenagers in Seoul to repeatedly hit f5 isn't exerting influence".
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it was rigged; an online poll is a stupid way to judge these kinds of things. Hopefully Time learnt its lesson.
fosterman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy will be next on there no doubt
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a country with almost the entire population semi-permanently glued to the internet, coupled with an irrepressible desire for international recognition, internet polls will inevitably be skewed.
I mean, is Jeju really one of the seven wonders of the world?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj style, Jeju island has been designated as one seven NATURAL wonders of the world. That saved the island from from developers turning it into another Okinawa, Hawaii, Madagascar. Those islands have been raped in grand scale. Do you really want to continue your personally opinionated grand crusade so that the developers can rape Jeju as well?
nero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
cj style, Jeju island has been designated as one seven NATURAL wonders of the world. That saved the island from from developers turning it into another Okinawa, Hawaii, Madagascar. Those islands have been raped in grand scale. Do you really want to continue your personally opinionated grand crusade so that the developers can rape Jeju as well?

Yup, I'm sure that's exactly what the neitzens had in mind.
'Let's make Jeju one of the seven natural wonders so it can be saved from developers!!' lol.
Koreans are, after all, well known for being ecologically minded.
Have you ever been to SE Asia? I lived there for a number of years and saw the natural habitat being sold off to Korean companies to be make into freaking golf courses for adjosshis.

Face it, they are cheating to obtain status. That's how they do.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
andrewchon wrote:

Yup, I'm sure that's exactly what the neitzens had in mind.
'Let's make Jeju one of the seven natural wonders so it can be saved from developers!!' lol.
Koreans are, after all, well known for being ecologically minded.
Have you ever been to SE Asia? I lived there for a number of years and saw the natural habitat being sold off to Korean companies to be make into freaking golf courses for adjosshis.

Face it, they are cheating to obtain status. That's how they do.

What he said. I have nothing against Jeju and I certainly don't wish bad upon it or the people who live there. I just seriously question ANY online poll regarding Korea that Korean netizens are allowed to participate in.
Note that I said 'netizens'. Those idiots live to mess with people.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course it's rubbish. How could someone who is completely unknown to the vast majority of the planet be considered the most influential in the world?

Well, the runner-up was Stephen Colbert which isn't exactly a redeeming choice, no matter how much I enjoy the Report.

I mean clearly in 2006 the choice was W. Bush and assorted other figures of NeoConnery, Jack Abramoff, and of course anyone associated with the Middle-East. Perhaps a tech figure like Steve Jobs or something.

But I do sorta agree with people like Colbert or Rain or someone else making the list. It's like The People's Choice Awards. It shouldn't be the same old figures. It should be people outside of the corridors of power.

The big fail of course was when Mohammed Bouazizi was overlooked. An unknown person who has led to profound change throughout the Middle-East. Multiple regimes toppled, peace treaties on shaky ground, civil wars, once strong leaders in fear of uprising, etc.

Think about it, the David Patreus scandal is influenced in some part by Mohammed Bouazizi. Without Bouazizi there is no Benghazi and there are no questions and handwringing over at the CIA over PAtreus' testimony and Republican crack-ups. Well okay, Republican crack-ups would continue...
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Dave Chance on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When an attorney for Rain countered by saying that the singer was on Time�s 100 list, Kang said, �That was because we recruited the help of Chinese fans living in the United States.�

Pretty much ends that debate lol (oh but of course he must be lying)

Expect more K-stars to be launched by the net down the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: